Abu Dhabi 2007

Am I the only one who went to this in NJ. IT WAS INCREDIBLE!!!
So many great matches. Marcelo Garcia is a freak.

There were tons of other standouts as well. Leo Viera, Rani Yahra, Roger Gracie, Baret Yoshida, Andre Galvao, Jeff Glover, David Avellan, Xande, Drysdale, Maia, Flavio Almeida, Braulio and so many guys looked unreal!! Best abu dhabi event so far

Man garcia is untouchable

I wish I had been there! Personally, I think submission grappling is much more interesting to watch than MMA.

I could be off, but I think I read somewhere that the finals are going to be televised?

Yeah I think it’s more interesting too. The tournament is such a trial by fire it’s amazing. I was inspired and depressed at the same time. Made me realize how weak my jiu jitsu is.

Garcia subbed everyone in his weight and everyone in the absolute until the final where Robert Drysdale subbed him on an anaconda. What a day. Almost every match was good. It was also amazing to see someone a good bit bigger than Roger Gracie. Jon Olav is HUGE. Roger was able to maintain mount for a while giving him the win on points but to be able to go with Roger and not tap is a feat.

He might not be a big name, but what a performance by Mike Fowler. He only got his invite last wed on account of an injury. So he shows up on a few days notice and beats Renzo! So you figure he’d be done there. Nope. Goes into the next round and submits Saulo! Crazy…

[quote]Zell959 wrote:
He might not be a big name, but what a performance by Mike Fowler. He only got his invite last wed on account of an injury. So he shows up on a few days notice and beats Renzo! So you figure he’d be done there. Nope. Goes into the next round and submits Saulo! Crazy… [/quote]

The craziest part is I was most impressed by his loss to garcia. He lasted a while and put up a good fight.

It was streamed on EliteXC, you can probably find rips of them on youtube and dailymotion now if you want to watch. I about shit when Fowler tapped Saulo. It was a great ADCC even though a lot of big names didn’t show up, Gonzaga, Arona, Monson, Barnett, and Igor Vov (wtf? lol) were all scheduled but had to pull out for one reason or another.

I was really hyped about Arona vs Roger Gracie. Roger is a beast, I can’t wait to see him back in MMA again.

Relatedly, lately on YouTube some past matches (from ADCC 2003) have been up.

[quote]CaliforniaLaw wrote:
Relatedly, lately on YouTube some past matches (from ADCC 2003) have been up. [/quote]

yeah, there are several ADCC 2007 matches from this weekend on You tube as well…

Saulo Fowler
Yoshida vs Yaha
Garcia Fowler

[quote]Zell959 wrote:
He might not be a big name, but what a performance by Mike Fowler. He only got his invite last wed on account of an injury. So he shows up on a few days notice and beats Renzo! So you figure he’d be done there. Nope. Goes into the next round and submits Saulo! Crazy… [/quote]

The awesome thing was he used to stop by Lloyd irvin’s arlington training facility every once in a while where I trained. I knew he was good, but not this good.

Rather than start a new thread…

Did anyone else catch Delson Heleno’s IFL fight on TV on Monday? This guy is amazing, and quite frankly, seems unstoppable. - YouTube

He’s fast as hell, his clinch game was incredible as he’s wicked strong, and his BJJ was awesome.

The Wolfpack team members tend to have an excellent clinch game - which is to be expected given that Lindland is their coach. But Heleno dominated in the clinch. He was simply too powerful for Dolce to deal with.

His strikes were also incredibly quick, he can kick at any level, and his BJJ game was sick.

I predict this guy will be the next big thing in MMA. I am not sure what his deal with the IFL is, or whether his loyalty to Renzo Gracie would keep him from fighting the UFC. But I don’t see how anyone is going to be able to stop him (unless he has a really weak chin).

Usually I watch a fight and can see a weakness. But I could not come with with any answers to deal with Heleno. You’re not going to overpower him, he’s fast enough and strong enough to knock you out, and he’s a PanAm BJJ champ.

Am I off here, or is this guy really that good?

marcelo is a frickin beast…I can’ t believe he was subbing all those guys of that caliber. Unreal performance.

i was unsure which division kelly paul should have been grappling in

I’ve trained with Delson “Pe De Chumbo” when he’s in the US. You’re right. The guy is a freak. You should see what kind of training he can handle…

[quote]CaliforniaLaw wrote:
Rather than start a new thread…

Did anyone else catch Delson Heleno’s IFL fight on TV on Monday? This guy is amazing, and quite frankly, seems unstoppable. - YouTube

He’s fast as hell, his clinch game was incredible as he’s wicked strong, and his BJJ was awesome.

The Wolfpack team members tend to have an excellent clinch game - which is to be expected given that Lindland is their coach. But Heleno dominated in the clinch. He was simply too powerful for Dolce to deal with.

His strikes were also incredibly quick, he can kick at any level, and his BJJ game was sick.

I predict this guy will be the next big thing in MMA. I am not sure what his deal with the IFL is, or whether his loyalty to Renzo Gracie would keep him from fighting the UFC. But I don’t see how anyone is going to be able to stop him (unless he has a really weak chin).

Usually I watch a fight and can see a weakness. But I could not come with with any answers to deal with Heleno. You’re not going to overpower him, he’s fast enough and strong enough to knock you out, and he’s a PanAm BJJ champ.

Am I off here, or is this guy really that good?[/quote]

[quote]Wayland wrote:
i was unsure which division kelly paul should have been grappling in[/quote]

so is she