T Nation

Absurd Nutritional 'Advice'

According to a kidney doctor my father spoke too, not only is creatine deadly and possibly worse than crystal meth, eating too much steak can destroy your kidneys. When I prompted this doctor to prove this is the case in healthy weight lifting young men with no prior kidney issues, he obviously could not give any scientific proof to his statements. What I don't understand is why hasn't this scientific fact been established through scientific research and study? I know this was covered in Dr. Lowery's article a few weeks back http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_nutrition/inconvenient_truths_protein_health_and_strength_sports and I'm sure this has been beaten to death on these boards but I needed a place to vent.

In the spirit of this post and because I'm sure there are other non-sensical gems people have heard out there, what's the most absurd nutritional "advice" people have gotten out there?

My Mom was in church the other day and someone noticed that she had been loosing weight ( I put her on a moderatly high protein low carb diet) My mom said thanks Im eating these shakes in the morning and night
(V-diet lite) and the girl said "You shouldnt eat all that protein, your body cant use it and its hard on your organs."

Im not much of a church go'er so I wasnt there. If I was I would have choked her to sleep in the isle.
Fuck me! Ignorance makes me so angry!

I remember when I was a tubby grade schooler and my mom actually sent me to a nutritionist. She told me to "only eat a matchbox-sized portion of meat with every meal"! Terrible.

Check this out:

Muy aunt did a diet called the "anti-diet" where you were allowed to combien two "types" of foods during your meals, so you would either eat:

1) salad and carbs (a very anti catabolic combo. lol)

2) salad and meat

You were however not allowed to eat carbs and protein. Sounds like a fucked up version of John Berardi´s protein+carbs and protein+fats principle

I read this same concept in Anthony Robbins Book Unlimited Power. As well He's very anti-meat.

Bad health advice I've received: Don't drink water with your meals because it dilutes your digestive enzymes and slows your metabolism down.

my dad came up to me and he was like "Dan, im worried about the long term effect of your diet and protein intake."

my diet is all beans, clean low GI carbs, ground beef steak and eggs etc, seriously clean but in the 5000+ calorie range and im getting about 300g protein per day.

i just told him "probably not as bad as the effects of a couple scotch and gingers and a bag of nachos before bed every night"

that shut him up

w/ regard to the water/enzyme thing...

i've read in a couple places that GULPING down huge amounts of water with your food can actually affect your digestive enzymes to some extent. sipping water casually before, during, and after, may be a better way if your going to get super picky about it.

I've been told that my protein shakes will give me cancer... they never were able to tell me what kind of cancer or how it would cause it..

In just about every scientific field of study I've been involved in, there are, unfortunately, people who continue to spread around information that contradicts large bodies of scientific evidence because it is "common knowledge," or it's consistent with their own judgment, opinions, etc. The consequence to this is that the consumer must be well-informed and educated about these issues and be able to think for himself or herself.

everything cancer

someone asked me how much i eat in a day, after i told them, they said for me to "enjoy my distended esophagus"

I actually had an editor modify an article I'd written to state to limit the size of P/C/F meals to "the size of a deck of cards."

Or maybe it was "the palm of your hand," not sure. One or the other, I think the first.

I was none too pleased. The redeeming factor was that my name was taken off of the thing, and a lot of good points did get through. Just the drawback of that one really stupid thing being added.

The doc was probably confusing it with creatinine which is not good at all for renal function....

Got this info from a company that sells creatine so take it for what its worth:

From Universal Nutrition:

Unless you have a pre-existing medical condition, creatine use should not damage your kidneys or liver. Most of the hype has been the result of anecdotal reports. In one study which tracked healthy athletes over a five-year period, football players who used creatine at levels up to 15.75g of creatine per day showed no effect on markers of renal or kidney stress. In another study conducted by Dr. Kerry Kuehl at the Oregon Health Sciences University in Portland and presented at the 2000 annual meeting of the American College of Sports Medicine, the kidney function of 36 healthy male and female athletes who consumed 10g of creatine per day was examined. After twelve weeks, Dr. Kuehl found that creatine did not adversely affect kidney function.

While creatine is non-toxic, creatine use is not wholly risk-free. As with all other nutritional supplements, individuals with pre-existing medical conditions should not take creatine or other sports supplements. For example, there have been at least one case study which reported kidney inflammation in subjects who used creatine. However, in one case, the patient had a pre-existing kidney problem.

those were my thoughts as well.

I am curious why some supplement company hasnt sued a media outlet or doctor yet over the slandering their products. Some of those companies seem happy suing anyone at a drop of a hat.

I know a wrestling coach that told his kids they shouldn't eat much protein because they'd build muscle and grow out of their weight class. At the same time, they don't want to eat carbs because they'd get fat and grow out of their weight class......

...I guess that leaves eating buckets of lard.

I should stop taking all those supplements (protein powder, fish oil, creatine, vitamins,ZMA) because my body will become dependent on it, and if I get off them later on, my body will degenerate.

Nuff said

That's the worst kind of cancer!