T Nation

Absolute Beginner - Need Advice

Currently I am an absolute beginner and need advice on a few things. My brother recommended me here as he is a long time reader.

Currently I am 120kg(266 lb) and about 5'11. First and foremost I wont to get healthy. I wont to loose the fat and gain some muscle, with fat lost being the main priority. Reading through the articles I realize that the two go hand in hand. What I want to know is a training plan to use on a weekly basis. I will be able to do up to 6 sessions a week.

What lifts and exercises should I do ? and what sets and reps?

also is there any advice that people have for someone who is primarily looking to loose the fat? Ie other exercises or stretches I could do?

Unfortunately there is alot of information on this site to take in.

Regards

On the medium to extreme scale (ie low muscle mass and high body fat), it's very possible (and likely) to do both fat loss and muscle gain. However, for fat loss, know that training and diet go hand in hand.

• Eat clean
  • Try circuit type training, increases metabolism for a while
  • Use the search button

1: Read the stickies at the top of this forum.

For building muscle mass and losing fat read this recent article: http://www.T-Nation.com/readArticle.do?id=1872366

• do 45-60 minutes of steady state cardio at 70% of max heart rate 4-5 times per week in the morning before breakfast. In the afternoon do weights on monday wednesday, friday. As a beginner you should get about 48 hours of rest between your weight lifting.

• for your lifting sessions do a full body workout and do all compound exercises

• If you cant do cardio in the AM and lifting in the aft. then just do the cardio after your lifting sessions but make sure to rest for a bit and get water in you.

Edit: diet and rest is 70% of what's driving your results.

Good luck!

You should do a combination of strength training and HIIT, along with eating a clean diet.

Your schedule might be like this:

Weights
HIIT
Weights
HIIT
Weights
HIIT
Rest

Repeat.

For strength training, do this:

Workout A
Squat 3x5
Bench Press 3x5
Deadlift 1x5

Workout B
Squat 3x5
Press 3x5
Pendlay Row 3x5

Alternating A and B each strength training day.

For HIIT, something like swimming or cycling is best, as sprinting would be hard on your joints.

Do 30 seconds high intensity, followed by 30s - 1 minute low intensity, for about 15 minutes.

(so swim one lap fast, one lap slow, you get the idea.)

read this.
http://www.T-Nation.com/findArticle.do?article=291seven2