T Nation

Abs Slowly Showing

I have been doing starting strength for almost 3 months and have added 30-50 pounds on each my lifts. I have noticed lately that abs are starting to poke through, but the odd thing is that it looks as if the right side of my abs is the only part that is starting to show and it looks like the left side of my abs is nonexistent.

I have not been adding ab workouts and have been strictly following the starting strength with cardio mixed with swimming and playing some sports for leagues/fun. Anybody know why this is happening and how common it is?

Ab Shape is largely genetic, not everyone has a perfectly symetric set of abs. Also until you are a low enough body fat to really clearly see your abs it’s impossible to judge anything since it becomes more a lighting trick then anything.

[quote]entro wrote:
I have been doing starting strength for almost 3 months and have added 30-50 pounds on each my lifts. I have noticed lately that abs are starting to poke through, but the odd thing is that it looks as if the right side of my abs is the only part that is starting to show and it looks like the left side of my abs is nonexistent.

I have not been adding ab workouts and have been strictly following the starting strength with cardio mixed with swimming and playing some sports for leagues/fun. Anybody know why this is happening and how common it is?[/quote]

You’ll need to drop to lower body fat to completely see if they’re symmetrical or not. As far as how common it is, well, there are many people I know that have one side that is “higher” than the other.

There are also those that may be slightly bigger on one side or not. To be honest, if this is the case for you, there’s not much you can do about it to try and re-shape them, because as already said, abs are largely genetically determined.

My advice is to not worry about it and go on an overkill of ab workouts. Keep going with starting strength if your getting gains, it’s one hell of a program.

Thanks for the information guys. I had a feeling I should just wait until I decide to try and lower my body fat. I’m really enjoying the starting strength program. Very simple, but very effective.

If you can see your abs enough to compare the different sides, you are likely looking good enough in that department to not really care about how symmetrical they are.

For me, one side is higher than the other. More than worrying about that, though, I’m just glad that I have a visible 6-pack!

dan