T Nation

Ab's or Size

so what do u all think,would u rather be stong and have big #'s or have a 6 pack?im at a piont my self where i need to decide which way i want to go with it, summer is here.and i guess winter would have been a better time to ask this but owell

The obvious question is, why can’t you strive for both? That’s my goal.

What’s more important to you? Would you like to be the guy lifting a chick over your head on the beach? Or would you rather be the skinny guy on the side with a six pack and bony shoulders and elbows?

My motivation shouldn’t be driving yours.

DB

Six pack all the way. I’m at the point where I don’t want to get any bigger though so that may influence my decision. I’ll be spending a lot of time on the beach this summer so I’d rather have it. With all things being equal I think most would agree men look better with a six pack, than without, when their shirt is off. I don’t like getting too heavy either as it interfere’s with my athletism. 230lbs and playing volleyball is hard enough. :slight_smile:

Both. CS’s audio article in Shugart’s Hammer touched on this subjest today. IMO, steady gains are better. No worry about shreddin a bunch of fat or stretch marks all over that can mess up tattoo’s or look like rivers if your naturaly darker conplected and/or go to the tanner.

Size!

That really depends.

Personally, I don’t care about my numbers, I strive to improve every workout, but it is not like I go around telling everyone I can bench 375x3.

I like being big, but there are times I like being lean - such as summer time.

These days I don’t see a point in being leaner than 10-12% so that is what I strive for during the summer months. The rest of the year I probably sit somewhere between 15-17%.

If your avatar is reflective of what you look like now, I think that you could work at putting on some size over the summer without a whole lot of fat gain.

But in reality it comes down to personal preference and what your goals are.

Both.
If you’re big enough(big shoulders,back,arms,legs,etc) it’s not gonna be that hard getting a six pack anyway.

[quote]Dragon wrote:
Both. CS’s audio article in Shugart’s Hammer touched on this subjest today. IMO, steady gains are better. No worry about shreddin a bunch of fat or stretch marks all over that can mess up tattoo’s or look like rivers if your naturaly darker conplected and/or go to the tanner. [/quote]

Who doesn’t have stretch marks but actually has some real size on them? I just haven’t met anyone who has made outstanding progress who gained that slowly. What you generally see are guys who diet down until they see their abs and then, next year, they look exactly the same with no further muscle growth. The year after, nope, still no progress.

[quote]dollarbill44 wrote:
The obvious question is, why can’t you strive for both? That’s my goal.

[/quote]

Smartly spoken. Same here.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Dragon wrote:
Both. CS’s audio article in Shugart’s Hammer touched on this subjest today. IMO, steady gains are better. No worry about shreddin a bunch of fat or stretch marks all over that can mess up tattoo’s or look like rivers if your naturaly darker conplected and/or go to the tanner.

Who doesn’t have stretch marks but actually has some real size on them? I just haven’t met anyone who has made outstanding progress who gained that slowly. What you generally see are guys who diet down until they see their abs and then, next year, they look exactly the same with no further muscle growth. The year after, nope, still no progress. [/quote]

I hate stretch marks. Why do they have to show up right at the pec insertion so damn noticeably.

Up until recently I have been all about staying cut up, but I don’t have bony elbows or shoulders, and there aren’t many big guys around here who will get more attention than me without a shirt. At least not year-round. I haven’t been out of the single digit BF for, shit I can’t even remember. But attention isn’t why I play this game anyway, so whatever.

I'm not a total shrimp, but I'm not big, either.  I have decided to quit trying to gain weight so slowly; seems it is hard for me to keep it on, so now I'm gonna try to "pack on" some weight.

In the name of humility, every physique-minded lifter, once in his life, should get so lean that he can see all six abs clearly. None of that “four abs with the right lighting” nonsense.

True leanness is the end of self-deceit. Put on your shirt, and watch the sleeves dangle. Note how your thighs slip into pants. Observe the shoulders narrow. And say hello to your new friend: reality.

Hooray for doing both at once. But those who have been training for several years are rarely able to get significantly bigger and leaner at the same time.

bigdawgg, judging from your picture, you have some legitimate size. If you’ve never been truly cut in your life, I encourage you to try it. Just prepare yourself psychologically. Your scale weight will decrease, your clothes will be looser, and your core lifts may drop. But you’ll look better, and you’ll learn more about training than any bulking cycle can teach you.

[quote]Plowman wrote:
In the name of humility, every physique-minded lifter, once in his life, should get so lean that he can see all six abs clearly. None of that “four abs with the right lighting” nonsense.

True leanness is the end of self-deceit. Put on your shirt, and watch the sleeves dangle. Note how your thighs slip into pants. Observe the shoulders narrow. And say hello to your new friend: reality.

Hooray for doing both at once. But those who have been training for several years are rarely able to get significantly bigger and leaner at the same time.

bigdawgg, judging from your picture, you have some legitimate size. If you’ve never been truly cut in your life, I encourage you to try it. Just prepare yourself psychologically. Your scale weight will decrease, your clothes will be looser, and your core lifts may drop. But you’ll look better, and you’ll learn more about training than any bulking cycle can teach you.

[/quote]

i have a 4 pack that was great made me laugh.thanks, and i have been cut, i was 5-11 135(9yrs ago).now im about 210.and i want to be cut again but at the size im at , i dont like the way i feel being that small, not bashing on light guys.and i have lots of room for improvement both directions,thanks for the post

I vote for both, I’m 6’0 190 pounds and I was 220. I’m just gonna bulk for 8 months and cut for 4 months of the year. I like to look shredded in the summer. I know alot of people don’t see the point of cutting. I’m still bigger then most in the gym at 190.

I used to have abs…then I got married.

Still go the stretchmarks.

Its all goal dependant. If you don’t know what your goals are maybe you really should take some time to think about it because I would imagine its holding you back in the gym. I like being big.Not fat but big. There is a difference.My goals have always been

1.Strength
1a. Size
2.Everything else.

I lift to get stronger(not just in the big three,but in everything from curls to the leg press) and I eat to get bigger. Haven’t you ever seen someone in the gym and thought,Hell Yeah thats what I wanna look like? I don’t understand the thought that you can’t be both big and lean? I’ve had a six pack at 215 and I wasn’t impressed. Now I want one at 240.Isn’t that what bodybuilding is supposed to be? The Pursuit of a big,strong lean physique?

[quote]oracleguru wrote:
I know alot of people don’t see the point of cutting.[/quote]

Who here doesn’t see the point in cutting? What we don’t see is the point in cutting when you truly don’t have much size on you at all. This is a bodybuilding forum. That seems to come as a shock to some people. If you are small as hell and no one can tell you even workout, why would you diet down?

You have to ask yourself what your goal is? Are you a bodybuilder or are you just another guy who wants to look good on the beach. If you’re a bodybuilder you have to sacrafice some time to get bigger in orde to be more competitive. It sucks, I know as I’m doing it now but I personally side with professor x on this. Let the abs go for a while. It doesn’t mean they’ll never be back. In fact it may be even easier to get them in the future as you’ll be able to burn more calories naturally with added muscle.

“i dont like the way i feel being that small.”

I understand. At six-one, I cut down to 174. Abs, striations, veins. Yippee. And then I’d put on a T-shirt and vanish. But it was the end of me juking myself about how big I was.

Be encouraged. When you do choose to cut, you’ll come out a lot bigger than 135. I’m sure you’ll know when the time is right. And you’ve got the good sense to realize that it’s a serious decision worthy of reflection and planning.

There’s no such thing as a casual cut. Anyone can drop five pounds here and there, but a genuine bodybuilding cut needs a goal firmed anchored in the soul.

“If you don’t know what your goals are maybe you really should take some time to think about it because I would imagine its holding you back in the gym.”

So true. I see a lot of guys at the gym who are on some kind of goal-free autopilot.

Size. I could care less about my abs - I want to look like a freak.