ABS...Just ABS...

Im 21. 5’11. im pushing 200lbs. i had surgery a while back and basically the blubber accumulated over time since i wasnt doing much more than laying in bed and eating heh

no, i dont want to be a body builder… i want to get lean. I would really like a diet plan/recipes/workout regiment. Ive been reading up on Chris Shugart’s Velocity Diet and 7tips on how to stay lean. However i am not familiar with flax seeds, salmon oil capsules, etc… i made a ridiculous newbie post on the velocity diet article page about that

I think a lot of kids trying to go straight for the abs overestimate their muscularity and assume that they’re only a diet and some crunches away from looking like the 160lb non-fitness model. Even these guys have to have at least a little muscle mass on their frame though in order to do business. If you want to see what a diet looks like with no muscle mass (ie a sedentary 14 year old waife) go check out The Machinist. I’m not going to criticise the goal but I will criticise a flawed and unrealistic method. Now of course we still need some stats for this case in particular.

and im sorry i havent hit the gym in a while and i dont know how much i bench and whatnot… just assume the average weight for someone my size

At 5’11 200 pounds you have two primary options for leaning out. The first would be to cut the fat, which I believe would be the wrong option. If I were you I would follow a beginner BB program, build some quality mass for a while. Then after having a frame to cut off of, I would begin to cut the fat then. There is a big difference between a chubby 200 and a lean 200.

The average of your lifts will depend on lot of things, not just size.

Also, building muscle will be one of the quickest and most long term effective ways to burn fat.

My brother bought the Abs Diet, he’s still very sedentary and about 40lbs overweight. “Brother” bought the book two years ago.

The book gives some excellent information, but remember it isn’t the missing link in your life that will get you your six-pack.

So my vote is buy the book, read it, understand it, and DO what it suggests.

As a basic guideline I would suggest you establish consistancy in the gym before attempting to cut calories. Clean up your diet now but don’t try to go below maintenance intake until your body is used to training again and has upregulated its metabolism accordingly. Give it at least a couple months. If you aren’t eating very clean or exercising now, then this alone will start shedding some pounds.

[quote]chemistx3 wrote:
and im sorry i havent hit the gym in a while and i dont know how much i bench and whatnot… just assume the average weight for someone my size[/quote]

Why aren’t you in the gym NOW? You do realize that regardless of what your goal is, regular weekly gym time in excess of 3-4 days is required? It isn’t just about diet. If you try to drop weoight with no regular weight training, you will look like shit. You know this, right? Again, I think this is the wrong site for you. You sound like those old fat women who just want to lose a few pounds.

[quote]Lift4Life wrote:
My “buddy” bought the Abs Diet, he’s still very sedentary and about 40lbs overweight. “Buddy” bought the book two years ago.

[/quote]

The book gives some excellent information, but remember it isn’t the missing link in your life that will get you your six-pack.

So my vote is buy the book, read it, understand it, and DO what it suggests.

[quote]chemistx3 wrote:
Im 21. 5’11. im pushing 200lbs. i had surgery a while back and basically the blubber accumulated over time since i wasnt doing much more than laying in bed and eating heh

no, i dont want to be a body builder… i want to get lean. I would really like a diet plan/recipes/workout regiment. Ive been reading up on Chris Shugart’s Velocity Diet and 7tips on how to stay lean. However i am not familiar with flax seeds, salmon oil capsules, etc… i made a ridiculous newbie post on the velocity diet article page about that[/quote]

I bought the abs diet book for my dad after he gained a couple of pounds and it helped him out. Its not an awful program and the good thing about it is it doesnt focus on count calories, but it focus on the long term. But its not going to just get you ABS by no means.

A better program for you (and I would say everyone) is called Precision Nutrition by John Berardi. Its a very custom made nutrition program and very simple. Plus it also focuses on better heath and the long term.

This article as a lot of the concept:
http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459493

This is where you can read more about the program:

However, if you go that way I dont think he recommends any workouts. And this site is a great place to start. But one thing youll learn quick from reading or experience is that the best way to do it is lower body fat; the best way to lower body fat is big movements like deadlifts, squats, etc.

A good place to start looking for a program would be:

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=640350

I would recommend a total body or split upper/lower or push/pull routine for 3 to 4 times a week. I think its kind of a cookie cuter approach to starting out. IF you are so focus on abs you might want to do them first in your workout; however bewared youre fatiguing your stabilizer muscles before you start some of the larger movements. Based on the work out you find you might even want to add an abs exercise or 2 in addition to the program. If you can handle the volume.

If you do decide to add cardio, Ive had good experience with sprints intervals when trying to lean out. Other than that just dont over do the cardio.

As for the Velocity Diet, I wouldnt recommend it. Heres why:
-Its sort term and I would think a long term plan would be ideal for you
-Is best for people who already have a good muscle base. You might not like what you find when the fats gone if you dont.
-Its expensive; unless youre really committed to it, a failed attempt could hurt the wallet.
-It works fast BUT you have to be very smart about how you eat after you finish for awhile after you come off of it.

I don’t know if this will help, but don’t give up on this site. There is a lot of great information, good ideas, and helpful people. Good luck.

[quote]TrainerinDC wrote:
At 5’11 200 pounds you have two primary options for leaning out. The first would be to cut the fat, which I believe would be the wrong option. If I were you I would follow a beginner BB program, build some quality mass for a while. Then after having a frame to cut off of, I would begin to cut the fat then. There is a big difference between a chubby 200 and a lean 200. [/quote]

I don’t know. I would’ve thought he would’ve been lighter. Depending on bodyfat, 200 lbs is not too bad. Even if he has 20 lbs a fat to lose to get to a lean 180, I think that’s enough muscle to support dieting, assuming of course proper weight-training and an appropriate diet, if that’s what he wants to do.

I would suggest any beginners training program from this site paired with something like the T-Dawg diet. You MUST lift.

Or soyboy nation…

[quote]Benjamin Gueret wrote:
I don’t know, maybe because this is called TESTOSTERONE Nation, not stunningfitnessgirls.com?

silencer wrote:
i dont understand why people on this forum dont understand that different people simply have different goals… who said we all have to be powerlifters or bodybuilders. some ppl just want to be thin, others want abs for the ladies or whatever reason, others want to improve in certain sports, others want better health, etc.

why can’t we just all help each other out…

-“i want to see my abs”

• ok, if all you care about is abs you do this, this, and that

• "i want to gain mass

• for mass you do this this and that

etc.

why can’t we just help everyone do what they want to do instead of ridiculing them because they dont want to be like us?

sure i have totally different goals than he does but i definitly have no reason to mock him. i respect his goal just as he should respect mine.

now can’t somone come in here and simply tell him how to get nice abs to show?

(btw posting your stats will help others help you).

[/quote]

By the way
In my experience,women actually like their guys a little bigger with some muscle.
I’ve heard girls say that they like guys with bigger shoulders ,and/or backs,then guys who are thin and have abs.

lol i dont care about what idiotic blondes prefer… im doing it for me

and i dont need broad shoulders to get women

I have a broad dick for that.

[quote]X-Factor wrote:
I have a broad dick for that.[/quote]

So do you wave it around, fully engorged, for them to see, or what? Or are you a member of fucksomeonetonite.com or something?

[quote]Kratos wrote:
X-Factor wrote:
I have a broad dick for that.

So do you wave it around, fully engorged, for them to see, or what? Or are you a member of fucksomeonetonite.com or something?
[/quote]

Actually a bit of both, you see it’s not ALWAYS engorged, however I am a member of fucksomeonetonite.com i’m actually in the moderator group my name is engorged girth come see me some time. :wink:

[quote]TrainerinDC wrote:
At 5’11 200 pounds you have two primary options for leaning out. The first would be to cut the fat, which I believe would be the wrong option. If I were you I would follow a beginner BB program, build some quality mass for a while. Then after having a frame to cut off of, I would begin to cut the fat then. There is a big difference between a chubby 200 and a lean 200. [/quote]

I was looking for some tips on burning fat… i’m pretty lean, im 19 and a little under 5’5, I weigh 125 and do have muscle, I can squat 100 lbs and i keep my body pretty tones, but I have some extra I would like to get rid of in my trouble areas- surprisingly NOT my stomach, rather, I have some cellulite in my thigh area, how can I get rid of it, I do 300 cals of cardio almost everyday, and I haven’t lost a pound! And I havent eaten over 1100 calories a day, please help me!! Maybe I should be wathcin other things rather than carbs? Thanks

[quote]chemistx3 wrote:
lol i dont care about what idiotic blondes prefer… im doing it for me

and i dont need broad shoulders to get women

[/quote]

Girls who like guys who have more muscle than the emo kid wearing girls jeans are idiotic? Weird.