T Nation

Abs & Forearms?

Hey guys i just wanted to ask what in your opionion would be a good Ab/Forearm Routine.

I plan to pair these together later in the day after my initial workouts maybe 3 times a week.

I would really like to tone up my abs as i have focused on the rest of my body but not my abs in along time. I am not in a cutting phase so i realize it will not make them more visible, but id still like to tone them up.

Also i need to put some serious size on my forearms as i havent directly hit them for a while.

Thanks all

i was watching some ufc training yesterday i forget who it was, but he was doing crunches, holding up a bench bar in the air whlie doing them, if you incorporated a twist of the wrist in there too that would work. like curl your wrist forward on the up motion back on the down motion.

also kneeling preacher curls always cause my forearms to wear out too, and i find preacher curls to be the best ab workout imo(well that i know of, im sure there are some intense ab workouts out there)

[quote]bloodandtears wrote:
i was watching some ufc training yesterday i forget who it was, but he was doing crunches, holding up a bench bar in the air whlie doing them, if you incorporated a twist of the wrist in there too that would work. like curl your wrist forward on the up motion back on the down motion.

also kneeling preacher curls always cause my forearms to wear out too, and i find preacher curls to be the best ab workout imo(well that i know of, im sure there are some intense ab workouts out there)[/quote]

I don’t know if this guy was serious, but preacher curls for abs are, IMO, not the best bang for your buck. Also, whatever he suggests with that UFC exercise, it sounds really dangerous, and not in the least helpful.

Check out the archives for some good forearm training articles, I’ll even try to find a link for you.

http://www.T-Nation.com/findArticle.do?article=07-009-training

There’s also some stuff by Waterbury. For abs, I like hanging leg raises or pikes, pillar bridges (basically holding a pushup position, but on elbows instead of hands), and cable crunches. Try circuits on one day and weighted, heavy stuff the next.

Ab training for athletes and babehounds, search it.

By preacher curls-- do you mean cable crunches ? I dont think you mean bicep preacher curls…

Thank you both tho for the advice and that link is great i will incorporate some of those moves in right away.

Heavy deadlifts or rack pulls.

[quote]vroom wrote:
Heavy deadlifts or rack pulls.[/quote]

Exactly what I was gonna say man. You can do your little decline crunches with a plate on your chest if you want. But I’d rather do some heavy ass deads and have my abs shake…which feels really wierd but it’s awesome.

I’ve gained a bit of body fat in the past few months but my abs have gotten more defined and I don’t do any direct Ab work. Deads are great for forearms too. If your using mixed grip make sure to switch it every set or you’ll get extensor/flexor imbalances.

[quote]Skrussian wrote:
vroom wrote:
Heavy deadlifts or rack pulls.

Exactly what I was gonna say man. You can do your little decline crunches with a plate on your chest if you want. But I’d rather do some heavy ass deads and have my abs shake…which feels really wierd but it’s awesome.

I’ve gained a bit of body fat in the past few months but my abs have gotten more defined and I don’t do any direct Ab work. Deads are great for forearms too. If your using mixed grip make sure to switch it every set or you’ll get extensor/flexor imbalances.[/quote]

This is true. But there’s nothing wrong with hitting those muscles directly as well. Forearms especially can take a lot of abuse, why not throw in some iso exercises for good measure.

And it’s not like ab crunches are totally worthless or unmanly as you implied either. Is it impossible to do deadlifts AND ab work? Where is this law that states one must not mix compound and iso exercises? It’s getting to the point where doing any exercise other than deadlifts for any muscle group whatsoever makes you a pussy and a lifting retard.

Do farmers holds or work with towels for your forearms.

At my job, I have to carry large bags of coin to and from the vault. Holding those 50 lb bags of pennies as I carry them around is murder, especially since all you have to grip is the fabric of the bag. If youre using straps, try to get away from that and force your forearms to work as much as possible.

I dont do much direct ab work, but thats simply because I am too lazy and I find it uninteresting. Squatting and pulling heavy will definitely tax your core muscles, but if you want to add in isolation exercises, I dont see why that would be a problem. hanging knee raises, swiss ball throws with a partner on the decline, roman twists, and cable crunches are all great.

Oh yeah, and overhead squats. Holleee shit.

I wasn’t saying you can’t do both and that if you do you’re a pussy. I was saying that you can get the same effect from deadlifts but work a lot more also. If you want to add it on that’s fine but doing that and iso forearm work just seems the more complicated way to do it.

thick bar anything works nicely for both abs and forearms:farmers walks, deads, pull-ups.

Wheel roll outs on those dinky little $5 ab wheels are good.

If you’ve got a bit of time buy a 10lb sledgehammer and look up levering.