Is it advantagous to go above the 100% DV rating on vitamins and minerals? My doc suggested I take more biotin for my nails (my toe nail came off and is having trouble coming back). But my multi has 100% DV. Plus the protein I drink and various foods I eat add more. Is it beneficial to go above, or is it just a waste of money?
Same goes for other vitamins? Are there any where you should have more? When is it just a waste of money to buy more?
It sounds like you may need to bump up your food intake if you're having trouble getting enough vitamins. If you're eating a wide variety of good, healthy foods you shouldn't have much problem getting more than the RDA for vitamins.
No, you see the thing is I'm getting WAY OVER the RD 100% value, so I was questioning whether there is any benefit to buy more vitamins. I didn't know if you benefit from more or if that is just a waste of money.
a few eggs a day and you are well over your RDA, although this number is basically an actuarial figure designed to keep people from dying or getting sick from deficiency.
your body will handle a lot of vitamins without trouble (except fat soluble ones) as water soluble ones are excreted if unabsorbed. eating a diet high in animal protein, fruit, vegetables, and healthy fats and of variety will ensure that your vitamin needs are met and then some. there is no need to worry about too much intake this way.
on the other hand, any condition that aggravates the GI tract has the possibility of affecting absorption of any or all nutrients. also, there are many conditions that may result in greater need for a certain micronutrient due to malabsorption.
"Vitamin B6 is clearly toxic at doses about 1000 times the RDA. Daily doses of 2-5 grams of one specific form of this vitamin can produce difficulty in walking and tingling sensations in the legs and soles of the feet. Continued megadoses of vitamin B6 result in further unsteadiness, difficulty in handling small objects, and numbness in the hands. When the high doses are stopped, recovery begins after two months. Complete recovery may take two to three years."
But from the same article:
"These water-soluble vitamins include folate (folic acid), vitamin B12, biotin, vitamin B6, niacin, thiamin, riboflavin, pantothenic acid, and vitamin C (ascorbic acid). Taking too much of any vitamin can produce a toxic effect. Vitamin A and vitamin D are the most likely to produce hypervitaminosis in large doses, while riboflavin, pantothenic acid, biotin, and vitamin C appear to be the least likely to cause problems."
So OP, feel free to megadose the biotin (within reason). I megadose vitamin C when I'm sick or feeling a little under the weather.