T Nation

About Vegetables and the 7 Habits Article

From an article entitled "The 7 Habits of Highly Effective Nutritional Programs".

1. Ensure that your carbohydrate intake comes from fruits and vegetables. Exception: workout and post-workout drinks and meals.

1) What counts as vegetables?

I smile while writing this because I know how this may sound, but to get all the carbs I require to bulk up from spinach, peas, broccoli, carrots, and fruit and so forth is a real daunting task.

Another point about vegetables is that if the word is defined as 'of plant origin' then that would include grain products and thus oats, spaghetti, rice and potatoes would fit.

Regarding beans and lentils, they have a high carb and protein content so they do not fit with the 'typical' definition of vegetable.

So, in the spirit of the above quoted statement, how is the word vegetable defined?

2) Does the statement then apply only to a specific kind of diet goal? If so, which?

"Moreover, many people can achieve the health and the body composition they desire using the 7 habits alone."

Those are general guidelines which JB thinks are kind of a brainless way of looking good year round. No calorie counting or Macronutrient sorting. They may not be optimal for muscular gain or extreme fat loss (which he has other articles for.) The amount of carbs someone needs to achieve and maintain a decent physique is highly individual, but JB considers those 7 rules effective for a large percentage of the population.

In general when someone says vegetables, they are not talking about spaghetti and potatoes. Think Broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus, onions, bell peppers... Anything that is STILL a plant and not USED to be a plant four stages ago. Apple pie is NOT a fruit, Spaghetti is not a vegetable. Generally, when bodybuilders and physique/health conscious people are eating veggies they are eating the kind that are low in calorie and high in fiber.