Abnormal Wt Loss: Metabolism, Stress, or What?

Hey guys,

I need one of the veterans here to answer a question. I’ve been hitting the gym for almost 2 years now, 3 to 4 times a week. Recently, I lost almost 6 pounds in 2 weeks, for no goddamn reason. Very few things changed during that time period, other than a slight increase in workload and my allergies (autumn makes my nose run like crazy).

For a while, I suspected parasites were the cause, since I’ve been living abroad for a while and have been eating food of questionable quality…however, when I went to get myself checked out, they were able to rule out parasites. In fact, the only abnormality was high levels of eosinophils, which apparently are triggered by allergies.

Since then, I’ve gained the weight back, but only by eating like a motherfucker. And I mean like an entire deep dish pizza with chicken and vegetables on the side for a single meal. Now before anyone rips on my diet, I gotta tell you that before this happened, my diet was almost perfectly clean. Yams, brown rice, steamed chicken, asparagus.

I also take a spoonful of creatine every day. But since that shit digests so fucking slowly, I couldn’t manage to cram in more than 3000 calories of it per day (I’m not a huge guy…5’7" and only 140), which seemed to be enough to maintain body weight.

Now, by my estimation, I intake almost 4000 calories on off days, and on work out days, over 5000. I’ve replaced half the complex carbs from before with simple carbs, like bread and noodles, and more than doubled my fat intake. Protein intake all-round has stayed the same, roughly 130-140 grams a day.

It took me two weeks on this kind of diet to gain back my 6 pounds (surprisingly little fat gain, comparatively). Now I’m stuck again at 140 and haven’t been able to top that, even on my looser and dirtier diet.

Now, regarding my workout, I was afraid I was overtraining, so I made a change last week; still waiting to see how it pans out. I used to do full body workouts on a 4/3/2 cycle, and now I’ve decided to conserve my energy expenditure and switch to a split routine with back, chest, legs rotating every other day.

I also do some swimming, although going to quit that for a couple weeks and see how that shit works out. Other sources of energy expenditure include work, sports, and sex, in that order. I did notice that I’d been playing more tennis and badminton during that two week period where I lost weight.

Dunno if something like that would have such a drastic effect though.

I also smoke bud everyday and especially before workouts, although that has never affected my ability to bulk before.

So…any ideas, guys?

[quote]Arian Attack wrote:

I also smoke bud everyday and especially before workouts, although that has never affected my ability to bulk before.

So…any ideas, guys?[/quote]

And, you lost me.

It’s going to take some time; I feel as though you’re talking about things in the frame of a few weeks. I have a similar metabolism and can cram endless calories into my body without anything happening – at least as long as I don’t do this day in and day out for months. I feel as though my body first needs a bit of time to adjust to the “regular” intake of a large caloric surplus before it is actually able to process this energy input.

As for allergies: as a fellow seasonal allergy sufferer I know how hard these can be on your body, even if you don’t notice the effects acutely. I had the same thing happen to me this spring; my sleep quality was quite poor thanks to pollen allergies and I subsequently lost a kilo or two over a couple of weeks.

I can imagine that stress hormones would be at rather high levels in this case, which isn’t necessarily condusive to gaining or maintaining muscle.

On that note, although you might feel relaxed from getting high every day before workouts, taking in these kinds of substances over the long term isn’t going to be exactly optimal for your hormonal balance or for your training recovery, but you should know that already and this is ultimately your own lifestyle decision.

No, weed is not the problem. Parasites! that could be a real issue. Get checked out.

How old are you? You could just be going through normal sex hormone fluctuations.

Other than that, maybe you just need to change where your calories come from or cut out all the extra aerobic activities.

[quote]kgildner wrote:
It’s going to take some time; I feel as though you’re talking about things in the frame of a few weeks. I have a similar metabolism and can cram endless calories into my body without anything happening – at least as long as I don’t do this day in and day out for months. I feel as though my body first needs a bit of time to adjust to the “regular” intake of a large caloric surplus before it is actually able to process this energy input.

As for allergies: as a fellow seasonal allergy sufferer I know how hard these can be on your body, even if you don’t notice the effects acutely. I had the same thing happen to me this spring; my sleep quality was quite poor thanks to pollen allergies and I subsequently lost a kilo or two over a couple of weeks.

I can imagine that stress hormones would be at rather high levels in this case, which isn’t necessarily condusive to gaining or maintaining muscle.

On that note, although you might feel relaxed from getting high every day before workouts, taking in these kinds of substances over the long term isn’t going to be exactly optimal for your hormonal balance or for your training recovery, but you should know that already and this is ultimately your own lifestyle decision.[/quote]

Is there anything OTC that you take to combat the allergies? I’m especially worried about my eosinophil levels; they’re about 20 times out of range…

OTC antihistamines are OK for acute bouts of allergies, be sure to find one that doesn’t make you drowsy and that you only use these when you feel as though you really, really need them.

Otherwise I find that vitamin C, DHA/EPA and stinging nettle work quite well. I’ve read about the wonders of butterbur but haven’t taken it myself. I assume you’ll only be able to order the latter online, though, since it’s a pretty eclectic supplement.

Eosinophilia can definitely be caused by parasites, especially by the helminthes. You should at least have a stool O and P (Ova and parasites) checked. How did they “rule out parasites” when you were originally evaluated?

[quote]bam7196 wrote:
Eosinophilia can definitely be caused by parasites, especially by the helminthes. You should at least have a stool O and P (Ova and parasites) checked. How did they “rule out parasites” when you were originally evaluated?[/quote]

Got a stool sample. Negative. Dunno how high the detection rate is though. They were pretty reassuring about it on the phone.