Abdominal Separation

Hello, I am new to this site and have never posted questions so excuse me if I don’t use the right lingo or know what the heck I’m talking about. I’ve had back to back babies and gained a STUPID amount of weight, I’ve managed to lose all 70 extra lbs I was holding on to after the babies. I’ve never worked out before in my life until this past year. All I did was tons of cardio to get the weight off and now my husband (has worked out his entire life) tells me I need to start lifting.

Before I start lifting I want to ask people who know what they are talking about a couple of questions. 1. I am top heavy, tatas, arms and back. Should I continue cardio to lean out before I start lifting or just go into lifting and that will help me lean out?

1. I believe I have abdominal separation (I can fit two small fingers in between my abs when I’m flexing) I’ve heard I need to be careful when doing core and ab workouts bc it could get worse. IF ANYONE KNOWS HOW TO CORRECT ABDOMINAL SEPARATION-PLEASE HELP ME!!
    Thank you for any advice you can offer me.

Congratulations on your weight loss!

To answer your questions 1) lifting can definitely help you change your proportions, so I would start sooner rather than later if I were you. You won’t go from DDs to a B cup, but you can lean out in the upper body, while gaining muscle in your legs and hips. If you tell us about your gym access, your experience level and your interests, I’m sure the people here can help you find a good program.

1. This thread might help you Postpartum Abs (Diastasis Recti) - Powerful Women - Forums - T Nation

Best of luck on your journey.

[quote]jennifer5980 wrote:
Should I continue cardio to lean out before I start lifting or just go into lifting and that will help me lean out?[/quote]
If you’ve already been doing “tons of cardio”, then you should definitely start lifting ASAP. Even a basic program three or four days a week will help to build muscle and improve your shape further.

Lots of different programs on the site here could fit the bill. Any of these would be a good place to start:

Check that link Strumpet posted. It sounds like that’s what you’re dealing with, but your doctor should be able to give you some better input. It could be as simple as just avoiding direct ab work (no crunch, planks, or whatever) and minimizing ab tension (no breath holding when lifting) or it could need surgical repair.