T Nation

ABBH Questions

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do;jsessionid=44B1BD83AA5C5AE162725872E7E0433E.titan?id=459341&pageNo=0

Day 1
how many different exercises do I do then? Would I just being doing flat barbell bench press and seated cable row? Just two exercises? How do you go about finding out your 1RM? I started out doing Big Boy Basics. Well the first week I made the mistake of figuring out my 1RM before my workout and I couldn’t even finish one of my workouts.

Day 3
barbell front squat
have no idea what a hanging pike is and I’m sure I don’t have the equipment to perform it.
don’t have anything for any calf raises regardless of standing or seated. So which exercises would be best to supplement those two with?

Day 5
Just do dips & chins then right?

Day 7
deadlift
decline situps (arent all that challenging to me)
seated calf raise need a replacement.

Could someone help me out?

BUMP

Come on, would someone help me?

Provy,

Regarding day one of Chad’s Program, yes you are doing two exercises at the suggested percentage of intensity.

Hanging Pike - Similar to a Hanging Leg Raise but your shins actually touch the bar you are hanging from. Do a search here on T-Mag for a more detailed description.

For a one rep max you can actually take a week and test your 1RM on the desired lifts. A search of the internet would probably easily result in a one-rep max continuum that might make things a bit easier for you to calculate.

Take a bit of time, research the program a bit. It has been very popular here at T-Mag and Chad himself has responded to many questions. A few quick searches and I think you will find all the information you need to know. Good luck with the program.

[quote]provy07 wrote:
http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459341&pageNo=0

Day 1
how many different exercises do I do then? Would I just being doing flat barbell bench press and seated cable row? Just two exercises? How do you go about finding out your 1RM? I started out doing Big Boy Basics. Well the first week I made the mistake of figuring out my 1RM before my workout and I couldn’t even finish one of my workouts.

Day 3
barbell front squat
have no idea what a hanging pike is and I’m sure I don’t have the equipment to perform it.
don’t have anything for any calf raises regardless of standing or seated. So which exercises would be best to supplement those two with?

Day 5
Just do dips & chins then right?

Day 7
deadlift
decline situps (arent all that challenging to me)
seated calf raise need a replacement.

Could someone help me out?[/quote]

Don’t bother figuring out one-rep max. Just find a weight that let’s you finish all ten set. Chad Waterbury has recommended several times to be a little conservative at first. Make sure, though, that you are doing each rep with a forceful concentric. No slow-mo reps.

A hanging pike is kind of a hanging leg raise with an attitude. You know how to do a hanging leg raise, right? Okay, when you get to the point where you lift the legs up to parallel, keep lifting the legs (this will take a bit of contribution from the lats and abs) until the feet are touching the chin-up bar.

Can you use a dumbbell while standing on a step for calf work? If not, do you have access to a leg curl machine? Set the foot pad low enough so that its against the back of the heel. When you do the leg curl, point the toes. The back of the heel will press into the foot pad. Trust me, you’ll feel the calves.

Hope this helps

Charles Staley’s “Convergent Phase Training” article has a couple of photos demonstrating the hanging pike.