T Nation

ABBH Dips and Chinups

I'm currently doing ABBH and I was just curious how it can work out if you can't do the prescribed numbers?

Reps: 10
Load: 60% of 1RM

How would you know what 60% or 1RM of these bodyweight exercises be?

I was thinking of just doing them as prescribed, doing 5 sets 10 reps, doing as many as possible, then just doing assisted dips and chins to make 10 reps..

well if your 1rm is body wieght then you simply divide bw x 60%. if you add load to say dip and add 40lbs to reach your 1rm then its BW + 40 = 1rm so BW + 40 x 60% = load. you will needed an aid like a band for dips/chins etc or adjust use the dip/chins for the 10x3 day.and the bench/rows for the 10 rep day.

well I plan on doing dips and chins on no assistance, just body weight........

If I understand you correctly, that's like doing drop sets on all the other exercises. It will really mess up the workout to workout progressions. How are you going to up the resistance to 65% in the following workout?

My experience working with it the way it was written was great. I'd trust the author and do all the sets/reps assisted if that's what it means to hit your 60% of 1 RM.

By the way, another way of looking at 60% of 1 RM is as the weight that you can do for 18-20 strict reps.

If I understand you correctly, that's like doing drop sets on all the other exercises. It will really mess up the workout to workout progressions. How are you going to up the resistance to 65% in the following workout?

My experience working with it the way it was written was great. I'd trust the author and do all the sets/reps assisted if that's what it means to hit your 60% of 1 RM.

By the way, another way of looking at 60% of 1 RM is as the weight that you can do for 18-20 strict reps.

Also - here's info from the original ABBH thread for folks who don't meet the rep requirements on these bodyweight exercises and presumably don't have a machine to assist or bands.

Chad Waterbury said:

If your strength levels aren't up to par, you can substitute the following exercises:

Dips - substitute w/ 30-45 degree decline db bench presses with your palms facing each other.

Chins - pulldowns with a palms up grip.

just thinking of adding weight when needed to up the %.

Absolutely - either get a belt that you can load plates onto like: www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?m=PD&cid=141&pid=1415

or put a dumbbell between your thighs or calves while you do the exercise.