ABBH Chest Exercise?

I’m starting ABBH tomorrow. I had wanted to do flat barbell bench as my chest exercise for the 10 x 3 day. But I don’t think I’ll have a spotter for every workout. Given that the program calls for using the same exercise throughout, do you guys think flat dumbell bench would be the best choice? Probably better than Hammer Strength which I also considered, right?

Really ANY horizontal push will work The DB bench is an AWESOME choice.

Let us know how it goes its a great program

Phill

How do you do havy DB benching without a spotter?

Just get some POWER HOOKS I use them all the time and for every dumbell pressing exercize. They make 110 pound seated shoulder presses a breze. You wont nead a spotter unless you are going to do forced reps but thoes suck. Instead try Rest Pause if you have to do some form of intensification techinque.

[quote]ConorM wrote:
How do you do havy DB benching without a spotter?[/quote]

Thanks guys. Well, I guess there’s some risk. But I think it’s a lot safer than barbell wihtout a spotter. You don’t have to worry about a bar loaded with weight crushing you. I’m pretty comfortable that I could just push the dumbells off to the side and avoid crushing myself if I mistakenly fail. And I agree with Phil. I just really like the dumbell bench. It’s an awesome exercise.

What are Power Hooks? I’m unfamiliar with them. What exactly do they do and where can you get them?

Phil, I’m definitely excited to be starting ABBH. The first part of my bulk went very well. Hopefully, ABBH will help me continue to have good games. It should; it seems like an excellently designed program. I’ll make sure and post about my results and how I find it.

If you’re doing the flat barbell bench with 80-85% of your 1RM (or doing 3 reps with your 5RM), then why would you need a spotter? You should be able to complete all 10 sets of three. And, if you think you cannot complete all three reps, rack the weight and reduce the weight by 2.5-5%.

The only time I came close to not getting all the reps was when I was on the third week doing the 10x5 and on the 9th and 10th sets, I only did 4 reps. Also, if you train in a power rack, you can always set the pins so that if you do fail, you can squeeze out and not injure yourself.

[quote]Nate Dogg wrote:
If you’re doing the flat barbell bench with 80-85% of your 1RM (or doing 3 reps with your 5RM), then why would you need a spotter? You should be able to complete all 10 sets of three. And, if you think you cannot complete all three reps, rack the weight and reduce the weight by 2.5-5%.

The only time I came close to not getting all the reps was when I was on the third week doing the 10x5 and on the 9th and 10th sets, I only did 4 reps. Also, if you train in a power rack, you can always set the pins so that if you do fail, you can squeeze out and not injure yourself.[/quote]

Exactly. I only had a problem on the last rep when I was on 10X5. I missed the lift about halfway up but was able to bring it back to my chest and dump one side of the bar; nothing hurt but my pride!

Nate and Snoop, you guys are probably right. I’m back in Phila. now whereas before I was in Atlanta. So, I’m joining a new gym and working out here for the first time today since I’ve been back. But I can’t imagine that they won’t have a power rack. But I still like dumbell bench a lot. Do you think that’s a poor choice compared to barbell bench for ABBH?

[quote]jsbrook wrote:
Nate and Snoop, you guys are probably right. I’m back in Phila. now whereas before I was in Atlanta. So, I’m joining a new gym and working out here for the first time today since I’ve been back. But I can’t imagine that they won’t have a powder rack. But I still like dumbell bench a lot. Do you think that’s a poor choice compared to barbell bench for ABBH?[/quote]

I dont recall the exact details of ABBH-2 right now but I think that is when CW incorporates the DB bench. I do think that you would get more growth from the BB bench since you can probably use more weight than you can with DB’s. I wouldnt obsess over it though if you want to use DB’s then use them; I won’t hold it against you!

[quote]Snoop wrote:
jsbrook wrote:
Nate and Snoop, you guys are probably right. I’m back in Phila. now whereas before I was in Atlanta. So, I’m joining a new gym and working out here for the first time today since I’ve been back. But I can’t imagine that they won’t have a powder rack. But I still like dumbell bench a lot. Do you think that’s a poor choice compared to barbell bench for ABBH?

I dont recall the exact details of ABBH-2 right now but I think that is when CW incorporates the DB bench. I do think that you would get more growth from the BB bench since you can probably use more weight than you can with DB’s. I wouldnt obsess over it though if you want to use DB’s then use them; I won’t hold it against you![/quote]

Haha. thanks. I think I probably will use the DB’s. In some ways, I feel like I get a better chest workout. You are right about the weight factor, though. Of course, this is not to say that I’ll never use barbells again. I like to mix it up.