Abandoning Ab Training?!

Here’s the deal:
I do 3 full body training sessions a week. I generally find the right level of intensity and walk out of the gym feeling great. If I do ab work, it’s tacked on at the end of the work out.

Does T-Nation think it’s okay to abandon direct ab training for a while? Personally, I don’t like doing it after a full body work out. I feel like I just need to get the hell out and eat and rest. Ab training seems like it has so little priority that it doesn’t matter.

Yay or nay on abandoning ab training for a while for a while?

Me:
6’2"
“Bulking” (or trying too, still trying to feel out the diet and see what works)
FFB
Beginner

what are you doing now?

Last month, I did HSS-100, and because of the difficulty to the protocol, I had to time for direct ab training (I trained my abs the month before, though). This month, I do EDT, and I’ve included swiss ball crunches with wieghts behind my head in my routine (supersetted with Nautilus back extensions in a 15 minute PR zone).

Strangely, my abs felt a lot stronger than before. I thought my abs would deteriorate, but I was wrong. The only explanation I could think of is that I was doing a lot of indirect core work during my HSS-100 days, like squats (20-rep super squats to be exact), romanian deadlifts and clean and presses (I went heavy on these two).

Hmm… you should tell us what exercises you are doing. We don’t know if you do indirect ab work already. If you don’t, find compound exercises (like the ones I mentioned) that work your core.

So what is your workout routine?

Of course it’s okay to avoid direct ab work. Many people avoid direct calf, forearm, and in some odd cases even upper arm work (for periods of time anyways). I think if you feel like you would benefit from cutting out ab work and getting greater quality of rest and being able to eat properly then that’s exactly what you should do.

currently working through CW’s TBT routine.

As far as ab work that I am doing now:
Generally 1 weighted movement (weight crunch, cable crunch, etc), and one stabilization movement (plank, side plank, dead bug, etc.).