T Nation

Ab Work Needed? Or Is It Fat?

Hi guys, im not sure if this is in the right place but ill give it a shot. Just registered today haha.

But anyway.
Growing up ive been a abit over weight and now over the past few years ive started to loose weight because im more active and stuff but one place i cant rid of fat is my obliques.
Theres alot of fat there and whatever i do i stuggle to loose it completely… Ive dieted for several month or so and only a portion has gone but i cant seem to get it all off.

I just want a straight midsection, do i have to do more oblique work to get rid of the fat or just go on a better diet to get rid of all that fat?

Sadly you can not target fat reduction to a particular area of your body.
If you feel you have too much fat covering your obliques then you will have to continue with your diet and exercise until your body fat % drops low enough that you are happy with what you see.
Doing lots of oblique work will not make the fat covering them go away any quicker but it will mean that when you do lose the excess fat and uncover them they will be looking sweet.
Here are some articles that might be of help with regards to your diet.

http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_diet_nutrition_bodybuilding/the_tdawg_diet_version_20

http://www.T-Nation.com/readArticle.do?id=546491

Its all good information.

Good luck.

[quote]mario-623 wrote:
Hi guys, im not sure if this is in the right place but ill give it a shot. Just registered today haha.

But anyway.
Growing up ive been a abit over weight and now over the past few years ive started to loose weight because im more active and stuff but one place i cant rid of fat is my obliques.
Theres alot of fat there and whatever i do i stuggle to loose it completely… Ive dieted for several month or so and only a portion has gone but i cant seem to get it all off.

I just want a straight midsection, do i have to do more oblique work to get rid of the fat or just go on a better diet to get rid of all that fat?[/quote]

Get yourself a good pair of calipers and learn how to use them. Or, get your BF% measured at your local gym.

Bottom line… if your BF% is significantly above 10%, no point in doing any significant ab exercises because you’ll never see them. It’s always a good idea to incorporate core work into any routine, but if you’re after seeing your abs, that work is done in the kitchen.

Important to note that the last 5-10 #'s are the HARDEST to come off. What worked for me to get down to ~ 8% at my lowest was to continuously trick the body - primarily through carb cycling and increasing cardio. If you’re looking to remove belly fat you’ll have to remove body fat, your genetics will determine where it comes from. Focus on a calorie deficit… bigger deficit = greater fat loss over time, using activity as the primary driver of the deficit.

[quote]jimboman wrote:
Get yourself a good pair of calipers and learn how to use them. Or, get your BF% measured at your local gym.

Bottom line… if your BF% is significantly above 10%, no point in doing any significant ab exercises because you’ll never see them. It’s always a good idea to incorporate core work into any routine, but if you’re after seeing your abs, that work is done in the kitchen.

Important to note that the last 5-10 #'s are the HARDEST to come off. What worked for me to get down to ~ 8% at my lowest was to continuously trick the body - primarily through carb cycling and increasing cardio. If you’re looking to remove belly fat you’ll have to remove body fat, your genetics will determine where it comes from. Focus on a calorie deficit… bigger deficit = greater fat loss over time, using activity as the primary driver of the deficit.
[/quote]

QFT