T Nation

Ab Wheel Form, Dip Bar Width

I bought an ab wheel so i could follow one of the progarms on here

at first i could straight away feel my abs tightening/contracting etc i did like 20reps(my core is very weak and im trying to target it more now in my routines ive always hated situps and crunches so trying to do more every week)

when i roll out on the ab wheel i feel it on my lower back and i know this is due to poor form,i watched one video on utube but its not very clear/good
was wandering is there any on here i can watch please.

Also i have a power rack for bench/squats/chins etc (i train alone from garage i built it)
and i was able to to make some bars/grips so i can focus on doing dips more but the placement of the bars that i hold to dip from are a little wider than shoulder width apart id say i have 2-3 inches on each side as i was governed by my squat rack width

question is : is it ok to do dips on a wider space like that or will it eventually mess my shoulders up?

thanks

[quote]michaelmi5 wrote:
at first i could straight away feel my abs tightening/contracting etc i did like 20reps(my core is very weak[/quote]
If you’re doing 20 reps of ab wheel rollouts, you’re either doing them with terrible form or you do not have a weak core.

Okay, yeah. Sounds like you definitely need to work on technique. Mike Boyle had a great article about progressing up to using an ab wheel. Give it a read:

[quote]Also i have a power rack for bench/squats/chins etc (i train alone from garage i built it)
and i was able to to make some bars/grips so i can focus on doing dips more but the placement of the bars that i hold to dip from are a little wider than shoulder width apart id say i have 2-3 inches on each side as i was governed by my squat rack width

question is : is it ok to do dips on a wider space like that or will it eventually mess my shoulders up?[/quote]
Unless I’m misunderstanding something, 2-3 inches (per side) wider than shoulder width isn’t crazy wide for a dip station. Go be feel, but if you can knock out a dozen or so with decent depth without feeling shoulder funkiness, you should be fine.

HI Chris thanks for link :smiley:

i did ab wheel tonight and dips to finish off my workout

i did 10 ab wheel roll outs x 2 and focussed on keeping my abs/belly tensed whilst doing them and there was no pain at all in lower back whilst doing them, i havnt watched link yet will watch now :smiley: thanks.

The dips i managed 10 x 1 (was pretty tired from workout so only did one set) i do slightly feel it in my shoulders/mainly my right shoulder nothing like proper pain but a little niggle is all i can describe it as…

i am posting up some squat vids for some critique and it shows the dip bars i made (theyre at the front of the squat rack)

thanks again.