T Nation

Ab Training

What kind of exercises make the abdominal area thick making it seem like you have a belly?

I think somewhere down the line I messed up my Ab training and did too much of the wrong type of exercise. If you look at me side ways while I am wearing clothes, it seems I have a huge belly sticking out. If I take my clothes off, I am actually quite shredded and all my Abs are visible.

I have heard some sort of exercises make the internal wall of the abs thick. What are those exercises?
What are the exercises that make the external Abs thicker?

[quote]Fluid wrote:
What kind of exercises make the abdominal area thick making it seem like you have a belly?

I think somewhere down the line I messed up my Ab training and did too much of the wrong type of exercise. If you look at me side ways while I am wearing clothes, it seems I have a huge belly sticking out. If I take my clothes off, I am actually quite shredded and all my Abs are visible.

I have heard some sort of exercises make the internal wall of the abs thick. What are those exercises?
What are the exercises that make the external Abs thicker?[/quote]

I think the internal wall you’re referring to is the tranverse abdominals (transversus abdominus, I believe), and it is the ‘human weight belt’, because it is our built-in structural stability mechanism when we lift heavy weight.

It’s hidden beneath the rectus abdominus, our ‘outer wall’. As far as what thickens them, I wouldn’t really venture to say, other than maybe high volume with low reps, and this is just a guess, at that.

I’m more of the opinion that people have different types of builds and waists, and although we can modify this some, we do have a basic shape and structure we were given genetically. From the front I look blocky, but not from the side.

Endomorphs also tend to have more intestinal length, so this could maybe contribute to a larger abdominal volume.

[quote]Brant_Drake wrote:
[/quote]

Haha, good one!