Ab Structure/Shape Question

Hey all,

As I have cut off 12 lbs of fat from my frame I have been able to examine my abs more closely. While I have a decent 4 pack, it seems my abs are very compact and narrow, with a good, now deeper, center ridge, but not as flat as some. My obliques are looking good too.

Now is this genetics, a lack of ab muscle (which I understand is thin to begin with) or do I need to lose more body fat. I am unsure of bf% right now, hopefully my description should suffice.

Thanks

I am not quite sure what you are getting at here. Would need a picture to understand.

But if your abs are not very prominent, try weighted exercises to thicken them up. Also, if you are only seeing 4, you need to lose some more bf to see more detail.

[quote]poisongatorade wrote:
Hey all,

As I have cut off 12 lbs of fat from my frame I have been able to examine my abs more closely. While I have a decent 4 pack, it seems my abs are very compact and narrow, with a good, now deeper, center ridge, but not as flat as some. My obliques are looking good too.

Now is this genetics, a lack of ab muscle (which I understand is thin to begin with) or do I need to lose more body fat. I am unsure of bf% right now, hopefully my description should suffice.

Thanks [/quote]

How your abs are shaped or how many divisions are present based on the tendons passing through it (which is all a “six pack” is, tendons running through ONE muscle group…the rectus abdominus) is completely genetic. You can not change the shape of a muscle group. You can simply make it bigger or allow it to atrophy.

The bigger some muscles get, the more the original architecture may stand out, but the shape of the muscle itself has not changed.

Then I will start some heavier abs routines. See if the size will make things any different aesthetically.

Thank you Mcnug and Prof X.