Ab Strengthening Routine

Long story short, got mono in the end of October, only rested a week and a half and hit the gym again
couple weeks later i tore my lower abs right on top of where i was operated for a inguinal hernia 5y ago (was told this by my surgeon), pretty sure i tore my abs again 2 more times since then but not as bad as the first time

Lost all motivation to work out, don’t wanna go to the gym if i cant go heavy and push myself

Id appreciate any ideas on a program i could do that easy on the abs (no heavy compound lifts) but that includes alot of ab/core strengthening or any advice on getting back to training but in such a way so i don’t tear my abs again

thanks

Maybe start by doing some compound lifts than unconsciously work the abdominal stabilizers simultaneously. i.e. overhead presses and back and/or front squats. Just an idea, hope that helps.

[quote]Griff14 wrote:
Maybe start by doing some compound lifts than unconsciously work the abdominal stabilizers simultaneously. i.e. overhead presses and back and/or front squats. Just an idea, hope that helps.[/quote]
Thanks for the advice but I’m pretty sure its going heavy on back and front squats that messed up my abs in the first place. Didn’t just tear, progressive pain and soreness so im not 100% sure. Second time it was reverse lunges i think.
Dunno why but since i got mono my abs get sore as hell doing compound work and squat are by far the worst in that respect or exercises that stretch the lower ab region like reverse lunges.
Saw a physiotherapist for this but she wasn’t quite sure what i should do (she was really good with my other issues though, shoulder/hip) and ive been waiting to see a sports doctor for a few months now.

Honestly i just need something to help motivate me to get back into the gym. Motivation is quite lacking in all aspects of my life of late.

I tore an ab for two reasons.

1. I was working out too much and was doing squats and deads in the same workout.
  2. Bad form.

Work with more anti-rotational exercises. Almost everybody needs to work on lumbar stabilization any ways. It will give you the added stress to help heal the injury but won’t over tax the area. Make sure that you are working on the scar tissue as it heals though. Some of the pain that you may feel may be the less flexible scar tissue pulling. The abdominal region tends to get very bound down when injured. Free some of it up with a massage and then some light stretching and see if there is a difference. When you are starting to feel better I would start to incorporate a lot of ab work using my legs. It sounds like you have a lower ab weakness issue.

Remember the midsection is supposed to transfer energy from the legs to the upper body. It is not designed to be a prime mover in the movement. Teach yourself to resist/transfer movement and you should be able to return to activity. Always be aware that your surgical area will always be weaker than the surrounding area and that is where the chain will most likely brake first.