T Nation

Ab Strength?

i could care less how they look, because i can’t really see them yet. but what’s the best thing i could do for just ab strength? i know ideally big lifts like squat and deadlift would help, but i’m looking for relatively faster gains. i leave for basic june 2. i don’t care how hard it is, i just want some serious ab strength.

edit: i meant how hard the work is, not my abs, lol

This is a good solid ab program from coach CT:

You might want to try swapping out the planks for l-sits. I personally find that they are more effective, but you can decide for yourself which works best for you.

The combination of ab rollouts and l-sits (or plank holds, if you would prefer to do them) are especially good for ab strength.

I assume that you would also be looking for ab endurance as well, which is why I suggested this program.

Don’t neglect the squats and deadlifts though, you have plenty of time to make progress on them, so there isn’t much point in leaving them out.

thanks! i actually have been given an ab wheel and my next question was going to be whether rollouts are worth it. and don’t worry, i didn’t mean to say i would leave them out, i just was looking for more concentration on the abs.

Yep, ab rollouts are an excellent exercise. Definitely worth doing.

Chicks will be too busy looking at your chest and biceps to notice your abs. Only the lucky ones will see your stomach ;op

[quote]Badunk wrote:
Chicks will be too busy looking at your chest and biceps to notice your abs. Only the lucky ones will see your stomach ;op[/quote]

the lucky one says she’ll throw down if anyone is checkin out my biceps and chest, lol

[quote]roybot wrote:

You might want to try swapping out the planks for l-sits. I personally find that they are more effective, but you can decide for yourself which works best for you.

[/quote]

btw, forgot to ask. i assume i-sits are isometric holds halfway up a situp?

I call it an L-Sit when you get up on the dip bars with your legs and torso at a 90° angle and hold it. Or, do dips in the position.

[quote]PlayoffsOrBust wrote:
roybot wrote:

btw, forgot to ask. i assume i-sits are isometric holds halfway up a situp?[/quote]

L-sits (l-seat):

http://www.beastskills.com/L%20Seat.htm

I tend to do ‘conventional’ l-sits on the floor. Although, as skw said, they can also be done on dipping bars (or push up handles).

I find that this takes the stress off the upper body : doing them on the dipping bars would be a better choice if your upper body is the limiting factor in performing the hold.

Please bear in mind that I’m not suggesting that you perform l-sits with a dip added into the movement, at least not in this case : if you are going to do Coach Thibaudeau’s program, just stick with the l- sits holds, as they are quite similar to planks.

Changing out the movements too much is going to reduce the effectiveness of the program.

is it imperative that i do them on my fingertips? or does it not make much difference?

is it imperative that i do them on my fingertips? or does it not make much difference?[/quote]

No, you don’t have to do them on your fingertips. In fact, it makes the l-sit more difficult doing it that way.

The l-sit tends to exert stress throughout the body, and that can be a limiting factor. For example, if your fingers were weak, then that would probably hold you back from working your abs properly.

Doing l-sits with your palms flat on the floor are the more commonly accepted way of doing them, anyway. Or you could do them on dip bars or push up handles. That would help you focus on the abdominal region.

Again, it all comes down to which method works best for you.

I do a cable crunch/bicycle exercise superset myself. Works for me. Fucking kills, though.

thanks everyone for the advice, especially roybot

Your welcome. Hope it works out!

i could care less how they look, because i can’t really see them yet. but what’s the best thing i could do for just ab strength? i know ideally big lifts like squat and deadlift would help, but i’m looking for relatively faster gains. i leave for basic june 2. i don’t care how hard it is, i just want some serious ab strength.

edit: i meant how hard the work is, not my abs, lol[/quote]

Want ab strength? Pull a chuck norris and have a buddy hit your abs as hard as he can with a bamboo stick.