Ab Movement to Increase Squat Stability

What ab movement do y’all feel increase your squat? I know louis says that standing ab crunches are the best thing but I seem to get nothing out of them. What is the best way to get the abs into the squat?

Isometric pallof presses

Louie Simmons is a huge fan of dumbell side bends and anything that works the obliques. They help alot with squatting.

Get on a 45 degree hyper, lay sideways and hold a db against your chest. The movement will make sense. Go as heavy as you can for sets of 10 (work up to a max set).

I found this to work WAY better than side bends. Heck, I never found those to really help anyways.

I don’t know that Louie Simmons advocates standing ab crunches. I have read in numerous places that he advocates doing ab work standing, with both feet on the ground, the same way you squat. At least I hope you squat that way, otherwise we need another thread.

the Pull down abs need to be Heavy.
Very Heavy.

I am a huge fan of hanging leg raises feet to face.
pair them together or alternate.

kmc

yeah I’ve been doing lots of leg raises…do them 4x a week…and only do 1 set 3 times. Do it in a 3-1-3 tempo fashion…3 seconds up, 1 sec. pause, 3 seconds down…3 times.
This will increase strength fast.
Do it Mon. Tues. Thurs. Sat.
Also one day a week following that…you can do for stabalizing…do front bridge cross-overs
you can find the exercise on this site.

Pretty much you get in the bridge positon and put small plates…2.5-5, even 10 if you can do it. Stack some plates beside you and move them to the other side and repeat…you’ll have to look it up if you are confused bout it.
And then if you are squatting, deadlift, front squat etc. you are gettin some ab work in there too…should be good to go

dragon flags.

I find the ab wheel and hanging leg raises help a lot.

Not exactly ab, but core related for squat.

Learning how to hold your belly full of air has really helped me stay really tight coming out of the hole.

Overhead squats, yoke walks or walking with barbell locked overhead.

Heavy front squats and zerchers squats are also good.

[quote]Invictica wrote:
Not exactly ab, but core related for squat.

Learning how to hold your belly full of air has really helped me stay really tight coming out of the hole.

[/quote]

This too.

full body ab wheel rollouts, decline weighted situps, side bends, and standing ab crunches.

captain zero’s avatar made my abs real tight b4 i busted a nut…

Saxon bends. Got these from one of Cressey’s or Robertson’s programs.

Pulldown abs are just the best thing ever.

Don’t fuck about trying to do sets of 15 easy reps. Hit em hard and go for PR’s.

This is not the answer you were looking for, but heavy, deep front squats for lower reps (3-5) are great. The next day, you will be sore when you try to expand your stomach, …the muscles that keep you tight will be sore. Also, do these without a belt.

windshield wipers

[quote]Krollmonster wrote:
This is not the answer you were looking for, but heavy, deep front squats for lower reps (3-5) are great. The next day, you will be sore when you try to expand your stomach, …the muscles that keep you tight will be sore. Also, do these without a belt.[/quote]

I could not agree more. I understand exactly about the soreness when you try to expand your stomach the next day. I should experience that tomorrow.

Heavy standing abs. I find a choked off heavy band is great for this. Like Hanley said, don’t do easy reps. The weight should feel like it’s going to pull your head off if you relax.
Roman chair abs. I do them in a GHR, but most back raise machines can be adjusted to let you use them for it.