Ab Lift for Home Gym?

I workout at home, and would like an idea for a different ab movement I can perform. I don’t have cables, so that takes out a lot of what I want to do. I want to find a movement that works my whole abs and allows me to add weight to it, so I can increase the difficulty as I get stronger. I know sit ups and crunches, but adding weight to those is awkward and doesn’t really seem to make the exercise harder for my abs, just my shoulders/arms sometimes.

• Yes I know squats/deads/heavy weight on all lifts, I do these and have for quite some time but haven’t really trained abs directly ever, seems like a mistake to me now.

Depends on what you have available in your home gym. Assuming you have some dumbbells, Turkish get-ups would fit the bill.

Yes I have dumbbells. Also, a barbell, bench (no incline/decline), squat rack with pull up bar. Turkish get-ups i’ve heard of, never seen them performed so i’ll have to do some research on them. Thanks.

I’m open to more suggestions as well.

Hanging leg raises, L-sit variations (hanging and on the floor), dragon flags, Front lever work, weighted sit ups and overhead squats should give you plenty to work through for a long time. To be honest there’s only a couple of worthwhile ab exercises I can think of that can’t be done in your average home gym set up.

Although its not something you really add weight on, I think ab wheel rollouts are great. If you get good at them from the kneeling position, then do it standing. If you don’t have an ab wheel, use the barbell.

[quote]iwong wrote:
Although its not something you really add weight on, I think ab wheel rollouts are great. If you get good at them from the kneeling position, then do it standing. If you don’t have an ab wheel, use the barbell.[/quote]

Ab wheel rollouts are amazing. I incorporate a lot of bridges as well.

[quote]fisch wrote:
Turkish get-ups i’ve heard of, never seen them performed so i’ll have to do some research on them.[/quote]

Barely a month ago, there was an entire article about them:

[mini-rant directed at the general public] And this is why it I’m simply dumbfounded by knuckleheads who say they only come to this website for the forums… or they only read articles by a certain coach and ignore the rest… or they only read articles about “bodybuilding training” and ignore the rest. Hurray for being so smart there’s no need to learn anymore, I guess. [/mini-rant]

So fisch, it sorta depends on your training goals, but I’d stick with basic ab training: a crunch variation, a rotation variation, and a static variation.

For example things like hanging knee raises (not dropping the legs below parallel for minimum hip flexor involvement), surrender sit-ups (arms overhead, not towards the ceiling), Russian twists, lying leg arcs (a.k.a. windshield wipers), ab wheel/barbell rollouts, and 1-leg or 1-arm planks for time. Boom goes the dynamite, done.

You could also check out the “Best of Abs” article and see what you can adapt to your equipment (ruling out the cable-based exercises, of course):

Especially if you’re just starting to directly target the abs, there’s no need for overkill.