Ab Hypertrophy and Waist Circumference

Basically, I want to know how ab muscle growth can affect how big your waist line gets. Are there certain exercises that lead to this? Like say heavy squats and deads in combination with heavy ab work?

Also, how much of a difference will it make?

Maybe being clear about your goal would be a plus?

Strength and power primarily while maintaining bodyweight and slightly improving body comp. I’m currently hovering at around 200lb with upper 300s squat, nearing 300 bench, and upper 400s dl. Granted, I train primarily for PL.

This is mostly a curiosity question. I was wondering what other people’s experience who actually take close notice of this type of thing were.

Well a few days ago i started working my abs daily, 100, 125, 150, 175, 200 reps mow i know 7 min. is at least 200 repetitions so this is my first set. Now i am building a second set so it is a bit early to tell but my lower abs gained volume sofar. Some do 500 per set but i like 7 min, i have no excuse not doing them. Heredity is a factor, nutrition, etc…

Genetics will determine how developed any area can get, waist included. For most people, unless you plan on stepping onstage at single digit bodyfat, having to worry about a heavily muscled midsection be an issue just won’t happen. For everyone else, even traditionally ‘lean’ folks will benefit more than not from squats and deads.

Still, like most training issues there will always be a matter of individuality. If your obliques for examples are so thick (when you’re lean) that you look unproportional, then I’d certainly take a good look at what exercises you’re doing, and just as importantly, how you’re doing them.

If you’re primary goal however if strength work, I’d say that a strong midsection will serve you better than worrying about being overdeveloped.

S

My observation. Those who do huge bulks while doing ab work and other stuff tend to have bigger waist lines, even when they slim down. If it’s because of the stretching or maybe the bulk allows the abs to build more muscle idk but it seems to be that way. Most heavy weight powerlifters tend to think about their abs far too late in the game.

When you look at the best, even after they slim down they have much more solid waist lines then bodybuilders from the start. Only exception i can think of is Chuck Lidell, although he was known to throw em back at the bar so maybe that had something to do with his huge muscular abs. This is all excluding generic genetic factors.

Let me know if I’m off base, but it seems to me that modern bb’s seem to have much thicker midsections than the bb’s of the golden era. Is this due to the way they train, the higher use of drugs, or what?

[quote]Fletch1986 wrote:
Let me know if I’m off base, but it seems to me that modern bb’s seem to have much thicker midsections than the bb’s of the golden era. Is this due to the way they train, the higher use of drugs, or what?[/quote]

I don’t think you can honestly discount any of those factors. Some people like to think it’s all the drugs. Other people think it’s all the large quantities of food. Bottom line though is that when you’re trying to produce maximum muscle mass with heavy compound work, everything is going to grow to some degree. Heck, look at MMA fighter Chuck Lidell’s midsection; heavily muscled, but clearly protruding in terms of his physique.

With the ‘Golden Era’ though, the ideal physique that was being sought after, was very different than what is accepted today. I’m sure anyone in attempting to achieve Platz-esque quad development is going to lose a bit of their wasp-ish waist simply from the amount of collateral muscle growth that would occur in the process (no matter how great your small waist genetics might be).

S

So the type of training with large compound movements and heavy ab work like strongmen do is probably the reason that even lean strongmen with six-packs or better have protruding waist?

Probably.

When you look at the golden era they focused so much on aesthetics that many of them stated they would avoid ab work like the plague just to minimize their waist. Another observation they seemed to practice the vacuum pose a lot more back then. That is also a muscle, if that muscle is strong it can look thinner when posing.

Keep in mind there is more media nowadays. You see people when they are flexing, cutting, and bulking. Ronnie has plenty of pics where you would never see an extended gut. Problem is he has more where you do see it, and that’s because you have access to these guys 24/7. Compare that to the golden era, where you saw guys Flexed THATS it. Even camera shots have 1000x more shutter speed. It’s hard to be perfect all the time.

[quote]Fletch1986 wrote:
Strength and power primarily while maintaining bodyweight and slightly improving body comp. I’m currently hovering at around 200lb with upper 300s squat, nearing 300 bench, and upper 400s dl. Granted, I train primarily for PL.

[/quote]

One goal at a time…always give you better results

pretty much what Stu said.

Thanks for all the responses.