T Nation

Ab Exercises w/o the Iliopsoas

Would like to get people’s feedback as to the best ab exercises that don’t recruit the iliopsoas (or conversly, exercises to stay away from because they do recruit the iliopsoas). Thanks,

[quote]Lorne wrote:
Would like to get people’s feedback as to the best ab exercises that don’t recruit the iliopsoas (or conversly, exercises to stay away from because they do recruit the iliopsoas). Thanks,[/quote]

Hi Lorne,

Firstly, there is nothing wrong with exercises that work the iliopsoas (unless perhaps you personally have a condition), so don’t get too worried about working them. The problem most people have is that they have tight psoas, and weak/inactive glutes (hip extensors).

As for exercises that don’t work the psoas; any exercises where there is no flexion of the hip joint won’t involve the psoas. So things like Hollow holds/rocks, dragon flags, planks, front levers, or basically any exercise where the abs must stabilize the trunk are good choices.

Good luck and good training,

Sentoguy

the best ab exercise with no hip flexion is the lying leg raise, but with a twist. to movement is with out the legs, once you start moving the legs, then the psaos muscle is used. get in lying leg raise position. but start with your legs out at 45 degrees with your back pressed flat to the ground.

now the movement is not with your legs but rather arching your back and keeping the angle between your upper body and upper thighs the exact same. the only movement is lowering the legs by arching your back, then for the concentric, press your lower back, back down to the floor.

once they are easy, hold a dumbell in your feet. the abs only insert on the pelvis so there is no reason to use hip flexion when working lower abs

With a lot of ab exercises, people will use their abs isometrically, but their hip flexors throughout a full ROM. I like to do pelvic tilts will laying on my back, knees bent, thighs straight up. Push your lower back into the floor so you glutes come off the ground. I do sets of isometric holds sometimes too. As I have gotten better, I can tilt my thighs away from my head just a bit.

With these your hip flexors are working isometrically, and your abs through a full ROM.

Like the other poster said, nothing wrong with exercises that involve the hip flexors, just make sure you stretch them regularly.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

[quote]bushidobadboy wrote:
hardcoreukno0359 wrote:

No offence dude, but this is NOT looking good from a ‘back health’ point of view. [/quote]

all i know is doing this exercise and glute and ham strengthening work, all low back aches have gone away. the extension that is performed in the spine is just enough to stretch the abs, but not enough to do any damage to the spine, jeoperdizing its integrity.

also with the exercise you have chosen, your contracting the abs at the origin. never had a muscle that worked efficiently from contracting at the origin instread of the insertion

[quote]hardcoreukno0359 wrote:
never had a muscle that worked efficiently from contracting at the origin instread of the insertion[/quote]

Does that mean doing stiff legged deads with the knees kept in the same slightly bent position would be an inefficient movement for the hamstrings?

[quote]bushidobadboy wrote:
hardcoreukno0359 wrote:
bushidobadboy wrote:
hardcoreukno0359 wrote:

Errr what? So you are saying that all ab exercises like crunches etc are no good? Since they contract at the orign then that must be what you are saying. In which case, I think we might have an interesting discussion on the way, lol…[/quote]

wow i wasn’t thinking when I said that, good call out, probably just overwhelmed that i had to defend my manhood and be right, my mistake…lol

You could try bridges. Look at the articles below, they will be helpful.

Articles:

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459822

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=990092