T Nation

Ab Exercises w/o Low Back

ive been looking on the internet for ab excercises specifically to tighten that section up. however most are just telling me crunches and sit ups. was wondering if anyone had anyother excercises, I find it hard to find ones that don’t utilizes the lower back. I need to avoid using that area as much as possible except on back day as I have a persisting lower back injury any ideas?

This is a super-general question you’re asking, so best I can suggest without more info is to use the Search function (white box, top right of the screen). There have been tons of articles about smart, effective, low back-friendly ab training. Maybe try out some anti-flexion/anti-rotation work (plank variations, Pallof press variations, etc.)

What does your current training look like - days, exercises, sets, and reps?

What are your goals?

What exactly is the low back issue/injury you’re working around? Herniation, verified mobility issue, just constant soreness, etc.?

the injury im working around, about 2 years ago I had a bad car accident, shifted every bone on the left side of my body into the right. never fully rebounded back into position. my goal is just to tighten up my mid section so I don’t have a bloody donut in the gut of excess skin.

[quote]Forcesguy wrote:
the injury im working around, about 2 years ago I had a bad car accident, shifted every bone on the left side of my body into the right. never fully rebounded back into position. my goal is just to tighten up my mid section so I don’t have a bloody donut in the gut of excess skin.[/quote]

Ab exercises won’t do anything against belly fat… But you might want to try hanging leg raises, since you asked.

Any librairy has books about abs exercises.
10 days on water should cut about 10 pounds. The loss should be about 15 but 5 is about your gut getting empty so a few days later the real impact is about minus 10.
Veggies can flush excess also real foods/not processed.
Prepare your meals it is that simple. Loose your taste(it will be reeducated) for added salt.
Abs are good but will not solve your situation.

[quote]Forcesguy wrote:
the injury im working around, about 2 years ago I had a bad car accident, shifted every bone on the left side of my body into the right. never fully rebounded back into position. my goal is just to tighten up my mid section so I don’t have a bloody donut in the gut of excess skin.[/quote]
Geez, that sounds like a pretty serious issue. Like Nighthawkz said, though, if you’re working on reducing bodyfat, ab training is not going to be the most important factor.

I’d pretty much say do whatever you’re physically able to. Not sure if you have any kind of reduced mobility/ROM issues. Seems like a unique situation you’re in, so I’m not even sure which way to go. Best thing to do is some trial and error.

This article might help you tweak your overall program: