Ab Exercises, Suggestions?

^ Title, tell me some of your favorites

weighted chins

heavy squats (note: correct form required)

heavy deadlifts (note: correct form required)

Any

Just do a flexion exercise, a rotation exercise, an isometric exercise & lower back exercise. Pick one of each and giant set them a few times. Changing exercises every few workouts.

Compound lifts, blah, blah… Balanced physique, word. Do it.
Now that I got my fitness asshole answer out of the way…

Sit-Ups/Crunches. (I know, I’m crazy, lower back pain, trunk flexion vs. rotation vs. stabilizing, whatev, I don’t care…)
Do em’ like Ali and don’t start counting until it hurts.

Also, pivotal tip, focus on the peak contraction.
It’s all that matters, IMO.

I tried ab-wheel roll-outs from a bosu(?) ball (those weird half ball things) the other day as a finisher for abs. It’s the first time I’ve managed to train my abs to absolute failure, not to mention being rather embarrassing.

Ab wheel roll outs and either hanging leg raises or a variation that had legs moving instead or upper body.

Fuck you guys I was looking for some random core exercises that you liked I am already aware that compound lifts are the best but I can’t do them, It’s why I ask for a core exercise that you like. I can’t squat or deadlift yet because of APT I don’t have the mobility and yes I am working on it.

My core is WEAK so I can’t do exercises like hanging leg raises, I’ll give ab wheel rollouts a go they sound good.

Crickey, if you can’t do hanging leg raises, the ab wheel roll outs are going to be a hoot then.

Do hanging knee raises then instead of leg raises…

If you find hanging leg raises difficult, try it with legs bent until your abs are stronger (i.e. knee raises). Likewise, if kneeling ab roll-outs are too difficult at first, limit the ROM by doing them against a wall until your strength increases enough to increase the distance from the wall.

[quote]chillain wrote:
weighted chins

[/quote]

what a thought provoking post, it’s obvious that you are a great contributor to this website. Tell me will heavy over head pressing give me amazing delts? and squats make my calves grow?

back on topic
-hanging leg raises where my feet touch the bar I’m hanging from, knee raises, russian twists, weighted decline sit ups and hyper extensions

[quote]watermelon29 wrote:
My core is WEAK so I can’t do exercises like hanging leg raises[/quote]

have someone spot you lmao

Fuck you guys I was looking for some random core exercises that you liked I am already aware that compound lifts are the best but I can’t do them, It’s why I ask for a core exercise that you like. I can’t squat or deadlift yet because of APT I don’t have the mobility and yes I am working on it.

My core is WEAK so I can’t do exercises like hanging leg raises, I’ll give ab wheel rollouts a go they sound good.[/quote]

Take it easy with the attitude. People were answering your questions and you didn’t mention anything about your situation in your OP.

[quote]jwesus wrote:

[quote]chillain wrote:
weighted chins

[/quote]

what a thought provoking post, it’s obvious that you are a great contributor to this website. Tell me will heavy over head pressing give me amazing delts? and squats make my calves grow?

back on topic
-hanging leg raises where my feet touch the bar I’m hanging from, knee raises, russian twists, weighted decline sit ups and hyper extensions[/quote]

I sense sarcasm… so perhaps I should elaborate.

Recommending various ‘trunk flexion’ movements – I’ll give you credit for at least suggesting weighted ones – makes about as much sense as recommending countless reps of lightweight/unweighted curls for biceps development.

And given that abdominal development is absolutely required for the vast, vast majority (ie. simply dieting down to display current development aint gonna result in aesthetic washboards) the OP is simply FAR BETTER OFF figuring out how to incorporate those weighted, moneymaker movements asap.

Now whether that’s through postural adjustments, injury rehab, form critique, whatever - the point remains that they’ll provide basically all of the abdominal hypertrophy that the vast, vast majority will ever need.

[quote]chillain wrote:

[quote]jwesus wrote:

[quote]chillain wrote:
weighted chins

[/quote]

back on topic
-hanging leg raises where my feet touch the bar I’m hanging from, knee raises, russian twists, weighted decline sit ups and hyper extensions[/quote]

I sense sarcasm… so perhaps I should elaborate.

Recommending various ‘trunk flexion’ movements – I’ll give you credit for at least suggesting weighted ones – makes about as much sense as recommending countless reps of lightweight/unweighted curls for biceps development.

And given that abdominal development is absolutely required for the vast, vast majority (ie. simply dieting down to display current development aint gonna result in aesthetic washboards) the OP is simply FAR BETTER OFF figuring out how to incorporate those weighted, moneymaker movements asap.

Now whether that’s through postural adjustments, injury rehab, form critique, whatever - the point remains that they’ll provide basically all of the abdominal hypertrophy that the vast, vast majority will ever need.

[/quote]

I remember this website promoting the fact that you didnt need to train shoulders because they got enough stimulus from chest exercises. If you want good abs you have to train abs, same with if you want good arms - you have to train your arms.

If you work in a gym, try this. You need a chest press machine that has you sitting upright. Press the weight without any part of your upper back touching the back support. No one that I have had do this comes away without believing in it.

[quote]eaboadar wrote:

My core is WEAK so I can’t do exercises like hanging leg raises, I’ll give ab wheel rollouts a go they sound good.[/quote]

Take it easy with the attitude. People were answering your questions and you didn’t mention anything about your situation in your OP.[/quote]

x2 Out of order and came across very rude.

watermelon29 wrote:
“My core is WEAK so I can’t do exercises like hanging leg raises”

Utilizing the dip station, place a dumbbel between your feet and raise legs with slight bend in the knees while pressing your lower back against the backrest. Hold the contraction at the top and eliminate momentum at the bottom.

I find it interesting that you’ve pinpointed your core as the limiting factor in hanging leg raise performance. I perform the dip station dumbbel leg raises first in my routine and then move on to hanging windshields because grip and lat strength tend to fatigue before the abs do.

[quote]Cockburn wrote:
raise legs with slight bend in the knees while pressing your lower back against the backrest[/quote]

this is such an important point and overlooked by pretty much everyone. The vast majority of people do their leg raises all wrong. You have to keep a posterior pelvic tilt the entire time.

If you aren’t strong enough to do that then start just lying on your back and raising your legs up and down while concentrating on keeping your pelvis posteriorly tilted.

i think i will try this

[quote]jp_dubya wrote:
If you work in a gym, try this. You need a chest press machine that has you sitting upright. Press the weight without any part of your upper back touching the back support. No one that I have had do this comes away without believing in it.[/quote]