A Work in Progress

Well, someday at least :slight_smile:

Hope you don’t mind me joining you ladies over here. I could use all the motivation I can get,and you all certainly do that for me without even knowing :slight_smile:

My main goal right now is fat loss…I highly enjoy lifting heavy things lol but am only able to make it to the gym on weekends…

For now I am doing www.menshealth.com/bellyoff..and the rest of the days are steady state cardio… It’s pretty challenging! Someone also refered me to Ross Enamits stuff, and am looking into that next!

Um, ya…now I feel like the shy girl in class!

ok,
so re-reading what I wrote last night sounds kind of lame…so I’m some what of a weekend warrior(for now)? But that will change soon enough…
I am building equipment up to use at home…for my next purchase I plan on getting a barbell to at least practice good form for squats and dls at home…

It doesn’t sound lame to me. Half the stuff out of my mouth is lame so I know what I’m talking about.

I work out a lot at home as well since I have kids too. Even if they don’t need a sitter I have to take them to their stuff so working out at home is more flexible.

I got a cheap bar and weights at Walmart. It’s not an olympic bar but it does the job for almost everything except heavy squats and bench where I need a rack and bench. I do those when I make it to the gym a couple times a week.

One of my best purchases was a pullup bar from Canadian Tire that I have in my bedroom doorway. That was $20 well spent. You can use it for a variety of exercises. It just takes a bit of improvisation. I got cinder blocks for floor press and using them on their ends is the perfect height for deadlift rack pulls for me.

O

edit: One of the attractions of a gym though, is that my kids aren’t there. It’s kind of nice to be somewhere you don’t have to look after everyone, clean up and referee fights.

Thanks!
yep, I tried the gym, but the daycare hours didn’t work with the time my youngest takes her naps, and the time I have to get the other off the bus! I’d be willing to go after the hubby got off work, but he’s not always home at the same time…sometimes 330, mostly by 5, but sometimes 6, etc…makes it hard to plan workouts that way, kwim?

Welcome!

I have been working to do a pullup for about a year. I am determined, and there are some great ladies here. Jillybop had a pullup goal at one point, if I remember correctly. And she is amazing - but then there are so many amazing & fit women here. So go for it, and enjoy the venture!

Renee

I’m currently working on doing a pullup… Well, my goal is 10 and I can’t do one yet but one step at a time. I can’t wait to hear about your progress mominmaine!

-andrea

[quote]mominmaine wrote:

My main goal right now is fat loss…I highly enjoy lifting heavy things lol but am only able to make it to the gym on weekends…

For now I am doing www.menshealth.com/bellyoff..and the rest of the days are steady state cardio… It’s pretty challenging! Someone also refered me to Ross Enamits stuff, and am looking into that next!

[/quote]

Do yourself a favor and get on his site right now.

Even if you don’t have a gym, his workouts will beat the ever living shit out of you.

If you guys get to the point where you can do pullups for reps, hell, even one, then my hats off to you. For some reason it’s very hard for women to do, and I’m always very very impressed when I see one doing them. Good luck guys.

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:

If you guys get to the point where you can do pullups for reps, hell, even one, then my hats off to you. For some reason it’s very hard for women to do, and I’m always very very impressed when I see one doing them. Good luck guys.[/quote]

You’re right that the first couple can be tough to get. After that it seems to build quickly.

O

[quote]ouroboro_s wrote:
FightinIrish26 wrote:

If you guys get to the point where you can do pullups for reps, hell, even one, then my hats off to you. For some reason it’s very hard for women to do, and I’m always very very impressed when I see one doing them. Good luck guys.

You’re right that the first couple can be tough to get. After that it seems to build quickly.

O[/quote]

If you’re trying to build reps, then Pavel’s way of doing it worked for me. I think it was Pavel… who knows.

Either way, just do them all the time. If you can do 1, then every time you walk by a pullup bar, do a pullup. Do it all damn day and night. Your reps will sky rocket.

Thanks FightingIrish! I’ll have to check that out…

The name of my thread means many more things than just wanting to do a pull up, kwim?

Yes,I do enjoy lifting heavy, but I really want to strive for the endurance it takes to run a mile without getting winded and the strength it takes to do a a pull up or (10) :slight_smile:

Right now I am looking into the AD…any thoughts/opinions on this given the exercise I am currently doing? My concern is that it’s not intense enough for the AD?

Thoughts?
TIA!

Hi mom,

What’s the AD? (pardon if that’s a dumb question)
I had a goal of 1 pull up last year, nothing I tried worked- the assist machine, DB rows, ect.

Finally in Jan. I started what I guess you could call a powerlifting regimen, BB rows, bench, squat, DL.

Every week I would jump up into a pull up attempt. Now I can do 1 without jumping.

You can do it!!! Keep trying!

Let me know how it goes.

Michele

Hi mom,

What’s the AD? (pardon if that’s a dumb question)
I had a goal of 1 pull up last year, nothing I tried worked- the assist machine, DB rows, ect.

Finally in Jan. I started what I guess you could call a powerlifting regimen, BB rows, bench, squat, DL.

Every week I would jump up into a pull up attempt. Now I can do 1 without jumping.

You can do it!!! Keep trying!

Let me know how it goes.

Michele

Thanks Michele, and good for you and your pull-upping self :slight_smile:

The AD, is the Anabolic Diet…

But I changed my mind…i think it’s more important for me to learn how to eat properly first, before taking something like that on…

Thought I’d stop by and share my good news…
I have AMMO now, and have enlisted the help of Jen Heath…don’t know why I waited so long!

If really looking to maximize that pull up ability check out this new article in the MWA section.

http://www.musclewithattitude.com/article/most_recent/ladies_you_can_conquer_the_pullup

Thanks Leigh-
I read it yesterday, actually!
Gotta get leaner first, which is my goal I’m working towards now… :slight_smile:

When do you make a pull up attempt, before, during or after your workout? I usually try right in between sets, give it all I got, and walk away.
A five pound fat loss can really make a difference, too.
How’s it going? Keep us posted.

Michele

[quote]aeromom wrote:
When do you make a pull up attempt, before, during or after your workout? I usually try right in between sets, give it all I got, and walk away.
A five pound fat loss can really make a difference, too.
How’s it going? Keep us posted.

Michele[/quote]

If you really want to be able to do pullups, attempt them when you are at your freshest. This would be likely after you warmup (if you do) and before you start your heavy work sets.

It’s likely that you’ll be too gassed to do them at the very end of you wrkout.

lol,5pounds? I have about 35 pounds of fat I want to lose!
I don’t make pull attempts, that’s the thing…I’m on a path right now to achieve that kind of strength one day!

You’ll get there. When I started training I couldn’t do a single pullup either. Last spring I was doing multiple sets of 7. Felt awesome. :slight_smile: This spring… I’m back to not being able to do any. Having a baby and not training seriously for 10 months will do that to you!

So I’m joining you in your pullup goal. I will do at least 4 pullups in a row by the end of the year!