T Nation

A Week Before a PL Meet

For those of you who have done powerlifting meets; what do you typically do the week before?

Take it off 100%?

Do some light stuff?

I got a meet on the 21st, and am testing lifts this week so I knwo what my maxes are…and am planning on taking the whole week off and getting some PT/ART done. That’s it.

Just curious about the rest of you strong mofos.

[quote]B rocK wrote:
For those of you who have done powerlifting meets; what do you typically do the week before?

Take it off 100%?

Do some light stuff?

I got a meet on the 21st, and am testing lifts this week so I knwo what my maxes are…and am planning on taking the whole week off and getting some PT/ART done. That’s it.

Just curious about the rest of you strong mofos.[/quote]

I don’t know if I qualify, and I’ve only done one meet yet. But I had a cold the week before, so I didn’t set foot in the gym.

The guy I train with takes the week 100% off though.

I do light cardio, stretching, maybe some very light weights (but not enough to even get a burn). I have a meet on Sunday and the last day I’ll do anything is Thursday.

Last heavy deadlift is 15-16 days out. Last heavy squat is 12-13 days out. Last heavy bench is 10-11 days out.

I will bench light 6 days out. So a Saturday meet means I’m benching on the Sunday before. Light means like 8 sets of 3 with 50% of my max and 40lbs of chain. The rest of the week I’ll do some stuff to get the blood moving (pushups, bw squats, pullaparts, stretching) but nothing serious.

I think this helps menatlly more than physically, because doing absolutely nothing leaves me feeling flat and stale by the day of the meet.

I’ve never had good luck taking a full week off. I usually feel a little sluggish after 6 or 7 days completely off.

I’m similar to Steel Nation with my last heavy lifts. 12 Days out (Monday) I’ll take my last heavy Squat, and then 10 Days out I’ll take my last heavy Bench. 8 Days out I will do a medium DL accessory movement like an RDL, but nothing too taxing.

However, 5 Days out I will take a couple of singles at a relatively easy weight for my Squat, something like 80%x1x2, and then 3 days out I will take a couple of easy singles for my bench, something like 75%x1x2.

This time will be different, because I will be finishing up a Sheiko Cycle. So 5 days out I have light Bench and light DL, and 3 days out will be light Squat and light Bench. But I don’t have any experience with this, so I can’t speak on it’s effectiveness yet.

i cant really speak of how lifting the week of the comp will affect you, but i have taken that week off and used the week before as openers/light accesory work. this has worked for me but i might try the opposite this next round.

in regards to the ART, i too have considered it before a meet, but have been advised not to as breakin up of the scar tissue releases toxins into your bloodstream which can make you sick and tired. i have not confirmed this info, but it scares me enough to shy away from it.

good luck!

I usually work up to my opener in squats on monday and perhaps some very light other leg work (maybe like leg curls or something easy). Then work up to my opener on bench on Tuesday and some very light upper body stuff to promote blood flow. Moderate intensity cardio on Wed, nothing on Thurs and Friday (assuming meet is on Sunday).

I also find that a full week off is not good for greasing the groove and I find I am fully recovered for the meet using the above protocol.

Another option is to look at a Sheiko routine and just check out the last week before a competition, how he does it. He goes even a bit lighter than I do but he does more sets and does stuff on Wed usually.

Whatever you do, good luck, I hope you enjoy it.

[quote]coolnatedawg wrote:
nd.

in regards to the ART, i too have considered it before a meet, but have been advised not to as breakin up of the scar tissue releases toxins into your bloodstream which can make you sick and tired. i have not confirmed this info, but it scares me enough to shy away from it.

good luck![/quote]

I’ve never heard that about ART. I’ve gotten ART treatment about 20-30 times too; and it’s all been great. I’m planning on going a day or two out from the meet and will get some work done on my leg/back but hopefully get some good massage instead for the majority of it.

Maybe after hearing all this, I’ll go once next week to move a bit of weight around 50-70% of my maxes for just a few reps. I never liked taking the time off; but just did to “rest”.

I guess that I’m eating and sleeping plenty in order to get fully rested by the meet if i only take 2-3 full days off.

I’ll be doing some mobility and stretching most every day anyways.

I usually do 3x3@65%, but may go 100% off next time around.

I would not do ART before a meet. My concern would be that it would loosen me up in a way that could possibly alter my technique. I have seen guys in my lifting crew have this problem a few days post-therapy. So I would save it for the day after.

I haven’t experienced the sick/crappy feeling after a massage either. I think that only happens if you don’t drink enough fluid afterwards. I do have to go to sleep immediately though.

My article this week is actually about this, But in general I take it off but not 100% go in and move just nothing heavy like singles at 50% stuff like that just o get you moving a bit. Recover and eat your not going to get stronger in one week by training the best thing you can do is recover.

I wouldnt do the art either, man that stuff has me more sore then a training session and can take days to recover from

[quote]Phill wrote:

I wouldnt do the art either, man that stuff has me more sore then a training session and can take days to recover from[/quote]

maybe this is what i was being informed of. lactic acid buildup. i dont really know, just somethin i heard… the basic idea of dont do it just prior seems to hold tho…

Wow, sounds like everyone has a completely different way of going about peaking for a meet. I find that really cool! I’m guessing it would be different for gear vs raw, as I bet you could go heavier raw closer to the meet.

I used to take the last week 100% off but I found it didn’t recharge me like I thought it would. So, now I take that last week light, and hit openers the week before. It’s worked out decently for a couple meets, but I’m definitely still looking to tweak it.

As for what I do:

17 days out: PR squat attempt
15 days out: PR deadlift attempt
12 days out: PR bench attempt
10 days out: Squat opener, hard session
8 days out: Deadlift opener, medium session
5 days out: Bench opener, light session
3 days out: really light squats and deadlifts, maybe some light tricep extensions, walk or bike

[quote]Phill wrote:
My article this week is actually about this…[/quote]

Link?

I don’t know how you pansies (sarcasm)get so “hurt” or “sore” from ART.

It’s not 100% ART…I get PT as well and with some ART tossed in at certain areas. Yeah it hurts a bit when she is pressing her thumb, forearm or elbow into a muscle…but it works. Really well.

I think I’m gonna go in this week and do some light bench, squat and dead in that order to get my body into the motions. I just found out last night I have to squat (thought i was able to just push/pull) and haven’t done back squats in 2+ years. Whatever, i’ll be going super light in the meet for that anyways.