A Way to Widen your Shoulder Girdle?

[quote]tontongg wrote:
Kinda off topic but seeing the general consensus I don’t see how one could expand the rib cage exercising ?[/quote]
You can’t.
All these types of things are nonsense.

You can definitely widen your shoulder structure. It is indeed possible. Let me explain to you briefly how.

The clavicles and scapula are fastened by ligaments/attachments. Performing wide grip exercises especially wide grip chin ups and Steve Reeves deadlifts will help slowly and gradually over time spread your shoulder bones by stretching the ligaments and attachments. Focus on a lot of wide grip exercises, all of them play a role but some are more better for the purpose.

You can also widen your shoulder girdle by ribcage expansion. 2 or 3 sets of light pullovers with deep breathing will surely assist in stretching the costal cartilages of the rib box.Search up the programs, because they include a superset of squats. I did not do squats but I can imagine super-setting them with breathing squats would help greatly, but from personal experience it’s not a necessity. When the ribcage expands, you grow all over. The rib box becomes deeper and wider as the sternum moves out. Your scapula will set further apart thus widening the upper back and all the ligaments and attachments of your clavicle will spread too.

I speak from experience and I know it is indeed possible. I’ve personally broadened my shoulder structure. My shirts are much more tighter than before and also the “gap” between my arm and torso is greater when standing relaxed, thus showing a broadening of the shoulder girdle.

There is also one other method to broaden your upper body structure, but I cannot give this information out. However, take from my advice, study and you will surely find wisdom and sense behind all this.

I just made this brief but honestly if a person is smart, they can fully appreciate why and how widening the shoulders, deepening the ribcage is possible.

[quote]Yasin wrote:
You can definitely widen your shoulder structure. It is indeed possible. Let me explain to you briefly how.

The clavicles and scapula are fastened by ligaments/attachments. Performing wide grip exercises especially wide grip chin ups and Steve Reeves deadlifts will help slowly and gradually over time spread your shoulder bones by stretching the ligaments and attachments. Focus on a lot of wide grip exercises, all of them play a role but some are more better for the purpose.

You can also widen your shoulder girdle by ribcage expansion. 2 or 3 sets of light pullovers with deep breathing will surely assist in stretching the costal cartilages of the rib box.Search up the programs, because they include a superset of squats. I did not do squats but I can imagine super-setting them with breathing squats would help greatly, but from personal experience it’s not a necessity. When the ribcage expands, you grow all over. The rib box becomes deeper and wider as the sternum moves out. Your scapula will set further apart thus widening the upper back and all the ligaments and attachments of your clavicle will spread too.

I speak from experience and I know it is indeed possible. I’ve personally broadened my shoulder structure. My shirts are much more tighter than before and also the “gap” between my arm and torso is greater when standing relaxed, thus showing a broadening of the shoulder girdle.

There is also one other method to broaden your upper body structure, but I cannot give this information out. However, take from my advice, study and you will surely find wisdom and sense behind all this.

I just made this brief but honestly if a person is smart, they can fully appreciate why and how widening the shoulders, deepening the ribcage is possible.[/quote]

Your entire post shows not only a complete lack of knowledge in anatomy and physiology, but a lack of understanding as to why we lift weights. “My shirts are tighter, so I must have widened my shoulder girdle”. You gained muscle, pure and simple. Your skeletal structure is determined by genetics. A person might be able to improve range of motion and flexibility (jury is still out on that one) through stretching, but to believe you can actually alter your bone structure through non-surgical methods is lunacy.

Stretching ligaments and tendons is not only ill-advised, it is dangerous. Those fibers are not meant to stretch, and doing so will result in a rupture.

Oh, and nice move with the “I have secret info but I can’t tell you” comment. We’ll all be waiting with baited breath for your forthcoming book. “How to widen your shoulder structure, make yourself taller and cure cancer, all in 5 easy steps”

[quote]boatguy wrote:

[quote]Yasin wrote:

I just made this brief but honestly if a person is smart, they can fully appreciate why and how widening the shoulders, deepening the ribcage is possible.[/quote]

Your entire post shows not only a complete lack of knowledge in anatomy and physiology, but a lack of understanding as to why we lift weights. “My shirts are tighter, so I must have widened my shoulder girdle”. You gained muscle, pure and simple. Your skeletal structure is determined by genetics. A person might be able to improve range of motion and flexibility (jury is still out on that one) through stretching, but to believe you can actually alter your bone structure through non-surgical methods is lunacy.

Stretching ligaments and tendons is not only ill-advised, it is dangerous. Those fibers are not meant to stretch, and doing so will result in a rupture.

Oh, and nice move with the “I have secret info but I can’t tell you” comment. We’ll all be waiting with baited breath for your forthcoming book. “How to widen your shoulder structure, make yourself taller and cure cancer, all in 5 easy steps”[/quote]

It’s funny because the people who say the same crap as you haven’t even tried the methods to achieve this. If you look at my post carefully, you can see that I’ve mentioned that “also the “gap” between my arm and torso is greater when standing relaxed, thus showing a broadening of the shoulder girdle.”

Just building your deltoids and latissimus dorsi muscles do not accomplish this. To your argument that stretching ligaments will rupture it. What I mentioned is that doing wide grip exercises such as wide grip pullups, wide grip deadlifts (Steve Reeves deadlifts) and various wide grip upper body exercises will help SLOWLY OVER TIME broaden the shoulder structure. The ligaments will SLOWLY elongate during the healing process and the clavicle and scapula will be moved slightly outwards thus widening the upper body structure to a degree.

I’ve increases my chest circumference from 38-39 inches to 42.5 inches (exhaled) last year doing 3 months of a vigorous routine consisting of breathing pullovers. Coming close to 3 months of that routine, my rib box deepened incredibly (if I could show you my side chest pose, you’d then realise the reality of this). My shoulders were sloped like crazy before. After this routine, my shoulders are squared and broadened.

To your point regarding muscles making my shirt tighter. I know from experience its not because of muscular growth because there has not been any drastic changes in my muscularity which could have widened me up soo much in such little time.

Too many people just claim something to be impossible or false without even getting their butt up and trying for themselves.

The skeletal structure is a living organism which will adapt to the right stressors and change accordingly.

Look at the ribcages and side chest shots of old school bodybuilders such as Reg Park, Arnold, Draper, Tom Platz, the list goes on.

These exercises will have a tremendous impact when young but you can still make improvements at an advanced age. It’ll just be much tougher. Heck, I regret that I didn’t find out about these exercises when I was young.

Hope to hear from you soon.

[quote]Yasin wrote:
(if I could show you my side chest pose, you’d then realise the reality of this). [/quote]

Great idea. Post some before and after pictures.

[quote]TrevorLPT wrote:

[quote]Yasin wrote:
(if I could show you my side chest pose, you’d then realise the reality of this). [/quote]

Great idea. Post some before and after pictures. [/quote]

I’ve attached a picture of how my side chest shot looks when fully inhaled to maximum. I started Dumbell Pullovers with deep breathing in September 2014 when I was 20 years old. I did not think of taking any before pictures because I was strongly of the opinion that my costal cartilages were completely rigid and it was too late. However, much to my surprise, after 3 months, results have only been great.

Before this routine my physique was not what I wanted. My shoulders sloped like crazy and I just didn’t feel good. After progressive hard work, my rib box deepened and broadened and my shoulders are now squared up and broad. I’m very happy with it.

Making pectoral and lat development as a primary means of increasing chest circumference is a mistake which should be avoided. Expanding the rib box adds depth to the chest. My sternum if much more out. If you look at my attached picture, you can see that my sternum is much farther than my chin and neck. My chest looks quite deep in the pose. I have very little if ANY significant pectoral development.

The ribcage is the foundation of the upper body muscles and having a good ribcage will surely assist in building a monstrous upper body with depth and width.

A larger rib box means more “living space” for your heart, lungs and other internal organs. You will feel much better physically and also you will also most likely be healthier than before. I suffer very rarely from colds and flus despite being in the winter season.

The larger rib box which gives more space for my lungs, heart and internal organs also meant that my endurance was much greater. I have soo much strength and power to do things I could never do before, it’s amazing.

Finally, it just adds to that Superman look and can make your waist look smaller, adding to that V taper look.

I know it worked for me and nothing will change my view on that. Nothing like real world experience as opposed to people just argueing that it can’t be done.

[quote]Yasin wrote:
I’ve increases my chest circumference from 38-39 inches to 42.5 inches (exhaled) last year doing 3 months of a vigorous routine consisting of breathing pullovers. Coming close to 3 months of that routine, my rib box deepened incredibly (if I could show you my side chest pose, you’d then realise the reality of this). My shoulders were sloped like crazy before. After this routine, my shoulders are squared and broadened. [/quote]

What was this vigorous routine? How much, how often, and how exactly did you perform your pullovers (across a bench, on the ground, straight bar, dumbbells, straight or bent arms, etc.)?

It’s interesting that there’s now literally 100 years of people saying “yes it can be done, no it can’t” when it comes to rib box expansion.

First and foremost I thank you for asking me this. I will do my best to notify you what worked for me. Everyone’s genetic code and body composition is different, so what worked for me may or may not work best for you.

I did 5kg dumbbell pullovers (cross bench, hips down and upper torso above) with deep/very deep breathing when the dumbbell was bought down. From September to end of October/early November, I did a routine of 3 to 5 sets of 15-25 reps breathing dumbbell pullovers almost everyday.
When doing the pullovers, focus on the deep and heavy breathing. Breathe as deep as you can at your upper chest, THEN lower the dumbbell down and hold it there for a second or two.

I then did the routine just twice/thrice a week. My main goal in all these sessions was to feel a pull and discomfort in my sternum area. Whenever I felt this at my upper sternum area, I was happy because I was positive I will grow due to that pain and I did.

To sum it up:

5kg DB Breathing Pullovers 3 to 5 sets of 15 to 25 reps (always tried to reach the 20+ rep for all and every sets if possible)

Focus on deep breathing onto your UPPER CHEST as possible when lowering the dumbbell. Don’t do the belly breathe, avoid it. The reason for this is because the cartilages of the lower ribcage could get too much attention resulting in a “fat” look.
If you feel a pull/discomfort in the upper/middle sternum area, whatever tingly, pain feeling it may be, you’re doing great. Sometimes the pain in the sternum could become very painful. Don’t let this stop you and continue just as I did. This pain will be worth it in the end.

Take high deep breathes outside the program as much as possible. It can help greatly because breathing itself stretches the cartilages of the ribcage.

Commit to consistent and proper performance of the routine for a minimum of 3 months. I gurantee depending on your age, you will see a 2+ inch increase to the circumference of your chest. Your shoulders will take a more upright stance and your upper back will widen a bit too.
Remember as the rib box grows, you grow all over. The shoulder bones are fastened to the ribcage structure. Everything will spread out.

Your strength gains will very likely be MUCH higher than before. Two reasons for this. The extra lung and heart room and the better leverage due to the widening of the shoulder blades. The widening of the shoulder structure occurs due to the ligaments/attachments of the shoulder girdle being stretched out.

Also please take a look at this great read. There’s different chapters for this book titled “Big Chest Book” from Bob Hoffman, I believe. It’s a great read and it will explain to you the benefits of the ribcage expansion and other cool things ect. Excellent and informative. There’s also a chapter for “Broad Shoulders” on the second link. It goes beyond normal bodybuilding thinking and states that your shoulders can be broadened by the stretching of the ligaments/attachments that hold the clavicle and shoulder blades in place.

Check out as much as you can. Great stuff.

The Tight Tan Slacks of Dezso Ban: 2008…-thirteen.html
http://ditillo2.blogspot.co.uk/2008/...apter-one.html
The Tight Tan Slacks of Dezso Ban: October 2014

I hope this helps you.

I have very very narrow clavicles, and without getting into the shoulder stretching debate what I find works best for me is to try and create an illusion of more width. I try to pack on as much muscle as possible to my rear and side delts. Secondly and very importantly I try and create as much lat width as possible along with putting on muscle in the teres area. Whenever I slack on either rear delts or lats my appearance gets narrow. That’s about the best I can do.

[quote]Yasin wrote:

[quote]TrevorLPT wrote:

[quote]Yasin wrote:

I’ve attached a picture of how my side chest shot looks when fully inhaled to maximum.
[/quote]

MY GOD!! Are you even human?

JK you look totally average.

[quote]flipcollar wrote:

[quote]Yasin wrote:

[quote]TrevorLPT wrote:

[quote]Yasin wrote:

I’ve attached a picture of how my side chest shot looks when fully inhaled to maximum.
[/quote]

MY GOD!! Are you even human?

JK you look totally average.[/quote]

baha! So rarely do I actually really, truly lol, but today - I did. Thank you, sir.

Wait you actually used 5 kg DB’s right, it’s not a typo for 50 or something?

I’ve got 5 kg DB’s at home, might as well give it a try and if i get consistent (will lose 4-5 min a day?!) will report back .

Yes, that is correct, I used 5kg dumbells for the breathing pullovers. You should not use a heavy weight for this exercise. The sole purpose is to effectively stretch the cartilages of your ribcage and heavier weights will involve more muscles such as your triceps,lats and pectorals.

It works. You need to be consistent. Also the clavicle and scapulae spreading techniques work, especially at a young age but it can be done at an much advanced age but may not give best results.

There’s a lot of space in and around the ribcage and shoulder girdle, occupied by ligaments, costal cartilages and other attachments.

All the best and go easy first but the main thing is consistency and doing it RIGHT.

Yasin FYI…you would make a better case if you had a before and after shot and not wearing a flannel shirt. How do you know the pullovers was the key for your gains and not what ever else you where doing routine wise? And honestly how much lifting experience do you have?

[quote]bulldog9899 wrote:
Yasin FYI…you would make a better case if you had a before and after shot and not wearing a flannel shirt. How do you know the pullovers was the key for your gains and not what ever else you where doing routine wise? And honestly how much lifting experience do you have?[/quote]

First and foremost, I respect you because I am but someone in my early 20s (21 years old, almost 22). I admit yes, you have much more experience in bodybuilding than I and I thank you for your question.

My friend, this was a normal pyjama top that I wore. I just executed the side chest shot in that picture. I breathed to my absolute deepest and did the pose. I am 100% positive that consistency in performing deep breathing pullovers last year 2014 played the biggest role in increasing the circumference of my chest. During those 3 months from September 2014 till December 2014, I did not do any chest and back building exercise such as the presses and pullups. My chest circumference increased 3 inches in just 3 months doing nothing but pullovers!

I focused soley on the pullovers using 5kg dumbells and high reps (15-25 reps). People would look and probably laugh at the gym, it was a tough journey, with disturbance at the gym from lifters and I also got into fight because someone wanted me to stop my routine, but after consistency and patience around December one day I woke up and noticed two major changes.

These major changes were that my shoulders which were sloped, had broadened and set “squared” and also my chest and upper back/scapula area felt “heavy”. I don’t know how to explain this “heavy” feeling, but it was good.

I am positive that my rib box grew to a degree. I am currently doing the pullovers again but my chest circumference hasn’t increased like last year. I believe, I was very fortunate and did the exercise at the right time, just before my costal cartilages would harden significantly.

Best,
Yasin

[quote]Yasin wrote:

My friend, this was a normal pyjama top that I wore.
[/quote]

My friend, this is false. There is no such thing as a normal pyjama top because, my friend, pyjamas are not normal for a grown man to wear.

[quote]flipcollar wrote:

[quote]Yasin wrote:

[/quote]

My friend, this is false. There is no such thing as a normal pyjama top because, my friend, pyjamas are not normal for a grown man to wear.

[/quote]

thank you! God damn my girlfriend’s always trying to buy me them. I knew I was right to think they were weird

[quote]Yogi wrote:

[quote]flipcollar wrote:

[quote]Yasin wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

thank you! God damn my girlfriend’s always trying to buy me them. I knew I was right to think they were weird[/quote]

I have a few pair of pajama bottoms to wear around the house or take the dogs out if they wake up in the middle of the night. But the whole matching outfit thing? No sir. Not acceptable. I can’t sleep with anything on anyway. Way too fucking hot.

If we could PM on here I wouldn’t have resurrected this thread, but… Yasin, are you still on these forums? I can’t imagine there being some secret method to widen your upper body structure other than what you’ve described, but since you say there is… would you mind sharing this info privately via email?

Hi nattynat,

There is a program which the founders of www.widershoulderbones.com sells which is proven to widen the shoulder structure over time. I do not know if they are continuing their work and selling their programs, see for yourself. I do not know the exact method, but their before and after photos of individuals who used their program is promising.

I highly suggest you see the following videos from the YouTube channel named Golden Era Bookworm. The founder of this channel is called Carlos and he has many videos regarding old school techniques from the Silver Era of bodybuilding to widen the rib cage and shoulder structure. Check these videos out.

This is all I can do in helping you regarding your query and I am strictly not going further with this topic or answering any more queries relating to this topic.

Disclaimer: Yasin is not a doctor or a medical professional. Always consult a physician before starting any exercise program. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk. Yasin will not assume any liability for direct or indirect losses or damages that may result from the use of information contained in this forum reply including but not limited to economic loss, injury, illness or passing.