A Tribe Called Quest

In light of all the Lil’ Wayne threads I thought I would create a thread to discuss A Tribe Called Quest. Are they the best hip/hop group of all time? Is their album “Low End Theory” the best hip/hop album of all time?

Always been a huge fan!! Listen to them on the slopes while snowboardin almost everytime i go…

I think Midnight Marauders is a little better than Low End Theory personally … both are amazing gems in hip hop … personal preference

They didn’t make one album that wasn’t good. I love People’s Instinctive Travels… it was the first hip hop album I bought I think I was ten

[quote]polo77j wrote:
I think Midnight Marauders is a little better than Low End Theory personally … both are amazing gems in hip hop … personal preference

They didn’t make one album that wasn’t good. I love People’s Instinctive Travels… it was the first hip hop album I bought I think I was ten [/quote]

Ha, I’m listening to People’s Instinctive Travels right now!

[quote]polo77j wrote:

They didn’t make one album that wasn’t good. I love People’s Instinctive Travels… it was the first hip hop album I bought I think I was ten [/quote]

I have to agree with the Midnight Marauders being the best TCQ album. I was a junior in high school when that came out and we listened to that tape everyday not rewinding or fast forwarding because the entire tape was great.

Electric Relaxation changed my life. haha

Saw them once at Great Woods in Mass. Great show.

[quote]kennedy35 wrote:
polo77j wrote:

They didn’t make one album that wasn’t good. I love People’s Instinctive Travels… it was the first hip hop album I bought I think I was ten

I have to agree with the Midnight Marauders being the best TCQ album. I was a junior in high school when that came out and we listened to that tape everyday not rewinding or fast forwarding because the entire tape was great.

Electric Relaxation changed my life. haha

Saw them once at Great Woods in Mass. Great show.
[/quote]

I’d would have loved to have seen them in conert. I’m jealous.

[quote]dre wrote:
polo77j wrote:

Ha, I’m listening to People’s Instinctive Travels right now! [/quote]

I remember I heard a techno song that sampled El Segundo and I got kind of flustered and told the guy who’s tape it was that they butchered the song … I played him the ATCQ song. He told me two days later (maybe a little longer … this was over ten years ago so) that he can never listen to the “remix” again cause he liked the ATCQ “version” that much.

I felt like I had won a war that day…

EDIT:Do you ever notice you don’t really hear anybody from the south ever chime in when there’s a discussion about groups like ATCQ or Common? Even in the hip hop/rap threads its always us northerners who mention groups and artists like that … ie quality hip hop and emcees.

Q-Tip’s new solo album was pretty damn good, too.

I don’t know if they’re the best ever – I don’t like defining groups and artists that way since they can all be so different – but they’re definitely up there.

Midnight Marauders and Low End Theory are probably better albums, but I love People’s Instinctive Travels for its simplicity. It’s so raw and basic, especially compared to today’s over-produced, noise filled music.

I will also say that, unlike a lot of stuff being put out today, their albums were completely listenable from beginning to end. Not every song was great, but there was no garbage filler either.

[quote]polo77j wrote:
dre wrote:
polo77j wrote:

Ha, I’m listening to People’s Instinctive Travels right now!

I remember I heard a techno song that sampled El Segundo and I got kind of flustered and told the guy who’s tape it was that they butchered the song … I played him the ATCQ song. He told me two days later (maybe a little longer … this was over ten years ago so) that he can never listen to the “remix” again cause he liked the ATCQ “version” that much.

I felt like I had won a war that day…[/quote]

Awesome. That is one of their best songs.

[quote]malonetd wrote:
Q-Tip’s new solo album was pretty damn good, too.

I don’t know if they’re the best ever – I don’t like defining groups and artists that way since they can all be so different – but they’re definitely up there.

Midnight Marauders and Low End Theory are probably better albums, but I love People’s Instinctive Travels for its simplicity. It’s so raw and basic, especially compared to today’s over-produced, noise filled music.

I will also say that, unlike a lot of stuff being put out today, their albums were completely listenable from beginning to end. Not every song was great, but there was no garbage filler either.
[/quote]

Agreed, defining a group or artist as best ever is almost impossible. I was just trying to stir the pot for conversations sake.

they were creative and brillant. i would say they were one of the greatest…but i would have to tip my hat off to outkast…ive been listening to them since album one and havent heard a wack song yet…

I’ve been a fan of them since “Can I Kick It” I haven’t looked back ever since. I was a fan of the whole Native Tongue clique. De La Soul, Jungle Brothers, Tribe, and Black Sheep. That was a great time in hip hop.

Don’t count De La out yet … they’ve put out consistent albums their whole career too … imo Grind Date is an awesome album … quality

Oh yeah, Tribe is MUCH better than the cookie cutter crap that has come out recently. Where’s the originality?

Why not some videos:

And since someone brought up De La

And one of my all time favorites:

[quote]malonetd wrote:
Why not some videos:

And since someone brought up De La

[/quote]

Awesome find. Love that jam.

And here is a message to all the new rappers out there.

Eye Know is one of my favorite jams by De La … Good stuff man … I might go chill out to some De La after work

Q is the best. low end theory is a definite top 3 rap album imo. and that was my intro to busta. i left my wallet in el segundo and bonita appelbaum from peoples. i remember going to see shows in the 90’s where the tribe, de la, jungle brothers and third bass played. amazing.
Q is still awesome. i saw him and common last year in nyc. so good.

the song and video for vibrant thing are just awesome classic Q-tip. i was reading the lil wayne thread and kept thinking of Q and didn’t even bother mentioning it because the difference is a whole world if someone prefers lil wayne and his ilk. it is how people communicate at present and is different from how they used to see the world ten - fifteen years ago. the love of language and positivity i hear in that kind of rap is incomparable and is what i think the genre was meant to be from the perspective of the artists.

Very well stated sd