T Nation

A Thread with No Name

reintroducing myself

former competitive powerlifter, best gym lifts pre shit show of injuries

squat 920
bench 730
dl 725

all geared except dl, I can't use a deadlift suit for shit

once I hit 40 injuries started piling up, just had surgery on right shoulder on 12/23 to repair 3 massive tears to the rotator, torn labrum, and dislocated bicep. tried getting in the gym a few times but frankly didn't care and I was in a lot of physcial pain, and figured it was a good a time as any to catch up on my cable viewing and my zombie fiction. cleared for PT this week, and started training last Sunday again, slow but sure.

some backdrop/updates: just wrapped up my divorce, one I didn't want and didn't expect, after 15 years of marriage. two sons there, 8 and 4, and they mean literally everything to me. life has been an adjustment, but have an awesome gf now, woman I have had a crush on since I was 16, and while we live 2 hrs apart we are making it work, for now. just moved back into my house in November after being a bit of couch surfer for a year +, working on establishing a new 'normal', which includes a roomate who is a former bank robber, but that is a novella in and of itself. have my kids every chance I get, so all other things - gf, training, etc - is based around them and their activities and their well being.

aside from the slew of injuries I have had I also have had some other major health concerns. from my father's side of the family I inherited polycystic kidney disease (PKD), which in essense is just what it sounds like, big cysts growing on the kidneys. hypertension seems to trigger their growth the most, and as a 275-308 powerlifter my blood pressure has always been a mess. christ, even in my early twenties when I had taken up boxing and was walking around at a lean 195 or so my bp was a mess. a lawyer filled divorce only aggravated that, which resulted in readings of, and I kid not, 190/120 and so forth. accompanied with that had been bouts of SEVERE water retention, I am talking like in a few days my weight would spike up 20-50 lbs. well, happy to report that things are improving. went to see my nephrologist yesterday. last visit was roughly 60 days ago, actually the day before I moved back into my house. in those 60 days my bp went from 150/100 (with meds) to 110/72, my weight dropped 30+lb, my blood work stablized, and I am no longer pissing all my protein away. and all of this while not training, lol. now I get to see how much I can improve while back in the gym

that being said, goals over the next 4-5 months:
Rehab shoulder, regain mobility and then start improving strength
Drop to within cutting distance of the 242's, starting point let's say is 282
progressively increase lower body strength, conditioning, and mobility

That being said, here is a recap of training from this week. I am basically coming back from two months sitting in a recliner, and am the most deconditioned I recollect ever being, at least in the last 16 years, when I took two years off from training in my twenties

Sunday, commercial gym

back extension 4 x 8

front squat on v-squatter 5 x 8, ending at '365'

seated leg curl 4 x 12 with 110

good girl/bad cirl 4 x 10 each

standing calve 4 x 8

Monday, commercial gym

recumbant bike 30 min

crunches 4 x 12

Tuesday, Los Campeones

forward sled drags

55 x 40 yrd

100lb x 40 yrd

135 x 40 yrd x 3

ghr 4 x 8
split squat 4 x 8

Weds - kids

Thurs - 4 years olds tae kwon do

Friday

PT, mostly stretching/mobility stuff, then to Los Campeones

forward sled drag

110 x 40 yrs x 8

machine crunch 4 x 12
leg ext 4 x 12
ghr 4 x 8

slowly breaking it back in, this next week will increase volume and also start doing some movements with the safety/yoke bar

Sooooo glad to see you here.

And I can’t use a DL suit worth shit either.

[quote]PeteS wrote:
reintroducing myself

former competitive powerlifter, best gym lifts pre shit show of injuries

squat 920
bench 730
dl 725

all geared except dl, I can’t use a deadlift suit for shit
[/quote]

I could match those lifts if I used gear. (By “gear” I mean a car lift.)

Lurking as usual

In for a fistful of dollars.

Good to see you back.

Welcome back Pete, fight the good fight sir.

Looking forward to seeing the numbers you crush in the 242’s.

Nice to see you here again strong one.

Good to see you back.

Welcome Sir. Please know that I can squat 920 also…if you add 2 reps together.

Glad your back posting Pete.

[quote]OldOgre wrote:
Welcome Sir. Please know that I can squat 920 also…if you add 2 reps together.[/quote]

Actually thats a lie.

[quote]OldOgre wrote:

[quote]OldOgre wrote:
Welcome Sir. Please know that I can squat 920 also…if you add 2 reps together.[/quote]

Actually thats a lie. [/quote]
Gosh, it’s serous math if I have to figure how many squats it takes me to hit 920. It would certainly be cardio.

Yesterday

bike 30 min

today

forward sled drag

100lb x 8 x 40yrds

ssb box squats

60 x 6, 150 x 5, 200 x 5 x 5

bss/ghr/abs 3 x 8 each

first day squatting. I am going to be very very conservative the first few weeks, working really just on form and volume. the weight was easy but my form needs some work right now, and I am avoiding injury at all costs. I really don’t plan on doing anything impressive or heavy until early summer, right now it is about correcting old imbalances etc. I have the opportunity to ‘rebuild’ everything right now, so I am going to take it

Everyone else, thanks for stopping in, I always feel at home here. The support from old friends is wonderful

very glad to see you here.

rehab power FTW

Pete are you weighing yourself daily with your medical issues?

[quote]Derek542 wrote:
Pete are you weighing yourself daily with your medical issues? [/quote]

have to

yesterday

had school conferences, lawyer stuff, and calls with recruiter, in addition to normal work day, so only had a short window to train at commercial gym

sits 4 x 12

back ext 4 x 10

leg press 2,3,4,5 pl x 12, 6 pl x 12 x 4

good girl/bad girl 4 x 10

standing leg curl 4 x 12