A Thing Nobody Can Explain

[quote]science wrote:
iam 186cm tall and weighting 92kg thats around 200lbs.(with empty stomach) at bout 18%bf.
i was able to increase my performance on my lifts at 300% (regarding weight)in the carreer of my training.

Do you got solid simple templates to do longer,or recommondated systems?(excpet westside)

[/quote]

300%? Of WHAT?

So you’re around 6’2, 200lbs, and 18% bodyfat. You are clearly a beginner, so why are you trying to make this stuff advanced?

To be perfectly honest, you don’t need any comprehensive programs or complex systems of training. You just need to get stronger on a handful of basic bodybuilding exercises, and eat a high protein/calorie diet to gain weight.

thanks for reply.

Also thanks Mr.Popular-so what programm,principles would you recommend to follow for the basics?
As mentioned above,AOW was great but then -although I followed the rep set bible,i did´t get stronger anymore.
So what are your concret parameter recommondations (expcept of eating big lifting big and sleeping big)
Thank you pal,
science

PS:
If training was easy like LIFt EAT SLEEP and repeat-
then it could be also as easy to get a billionaire:
Work hard,save money,repeat.
Why then aren´t we all billionaires…?

[quote]science wrote:

PS:
Why then aren´t we all billionaires…?[/quote]

Lift+eat+sleep(assuming to the best of your potential, big assumption)=pretty damn good physique

saying billionare is silly but let’s change it to…

Work hard+save money=pretty damn good financial situation

Then we are getting somewhere.Problem is? Nobody really wants to do the things that fall under the first part of the equations, no matter how much they say they do, or think they do.

[quote]science wrote:
thanks for reply.

Also thanks Mr.Popular-so what programm,principles would you recommend to follow for the basics?
As mentioned above,AOW was great but then -although I followed the rep set bible,i did´t get stronger anymore.
So what are your concret parameter recommondations (expcept of eating big lifting big and sleeping big)
Thank you pal,
science

PS:

Yes that is how people became billionairs, thy picked any job, worked hard saved money and repeated until they were rich.

That takes incredible luck, a unique patern of thinking and the person would have to have natural talents for what he did.

It IS as simple as lift heavy, eat alot, sleep, repeat.

Shoulderpress 315 and bench 455 and you will have a big chest arms and shoulders, squat 675 and you will have big legs, do sets of pullups at 300lbs and you will have a big back.

How do you achieve these things? Lifting heavy, eating, resting.

Sure if you go 5 weeks on a excercise without progress, even when you give it your all to make the progress every week, then change it to another excercise that does the same thing. Other than that you dont need to make it complicated.

Ask any big guy how he got big and he wont mention a special program, he will say time, food and hard work.

[quote]jakshafter wrote:
FightingScott wrote:
You’re thinking way too much. Reps and sets don’t matter. Understand this:

1. A Big Muscle is a Strong Muscle
  2. You get bigger, stronger muscles by lifting heavier weights, doing more reps, and/or doing more sets.

When you do an exercise you should have some amount of warm-up sets and some amount of working sets.

Bill Star did 4 warm-up sets and 1 working set.

Mike Metzner did 1 warm-up set and 1 working set.

Arnold did 1 warm-up set and 3-10 working sets. Jay Cutler also does 1 warm-up set and a lot of working sets.

Louie Simmons and other Westside Powerlifters do a lot of warm-up sets for his ME exercises and then only 1 working set.

Mariusz Pudzianowski and Ronnie Coleman does a few warm-up sets and a few working sets.

What do all these men have in common? They’re all big and strong. They all lift weights.

You can train your legs by using 40 rep squats. You can train your back and chest by using a 6-8 rep range. You can train your arms and shoulders with 12. You can train your abs with 3 reps.

You could also train your legs by never going over 6 reps. You could train your back and chest with 15-20 reps. You could train your arms and shoulders with 6 or 20 reps. You can train your abs with 100 reps.

As long as you put in the effort and push yourself to increase the weights you’re lifting, you’ll be fine.

This all holds true except for the calf muscle. The only way to get big calves is lots of reps, lots of sets, and lots of weight.

Thats what i always heard about calves but i found that i get best growth from 2 sets of 8 with a tempo of 2,2,4. Makes ya have this crazy pump like your calves are gonna explode as well. I can’t remember exactly where i read about this but it works (for me anyway).

Then again alot of people with big calves don’t even train them directly. If you have those calves that are all bunched up at the top it is hard to get them to grow. I am lucky in that i am not that way. I don’t even train my calves anymore and they grow just from squats and DL’s. [/quote]

that was a good post.

Usually its 3 to 5 reps for strength and 6 to 12 for size. Keeping it simple.

[quote]science wrote:
thanks for reply.

Thank you pal,
science

PS:

Sounds like someone doesnt want to accept the fact that their lack of progress is their own fault.

Your results are a function of your efforts.

[quote]science wrote:
thanks for reply.

Thank you pal,
science

PS:

The principles I think you should keep in mind:

1. Muscle gains do not come from going through the motions, or some combination/scheme of numbers. A demand for muscle growth comes from forcing your body to adapt to heavier and heavier loads as fast as possible.

2. You have to have your diet in order to meet that demand for growth with a supply of nutrients. This means lots of calories, and around your bodyweight (in pounds) x 1.75 in grams of protein daily.

3. A healthy diet that avoids sugar and trans fat will also help with gaining muscle, but only ON TOP OF principle#2.

4. Select 1-2 exercises for each main muscle group, and identify each muscle group with those specific exercises. This means if you select barbell back squats as your main quadricep builder, you must double/triple your working weight for reps on the back squat in order to see gains in your quadriceps. The exercises you choose should be ones you feel hit that respective muscle group very well, and also have a great potential for rapid increases in weight.

5. Pair up your muscle groups as needed to avoid overworking any muscle group or joint throughout the week. This typically means combining things like chest/triceps, or back/biceps, but it is an individual matter.

6. Train each exercise in the way you feel allows it to increase the quickest. There are many ways to do this. If you don’t know where to start at all, use a 5x5 scheme. Either ramp the weight up to one work set of 5, or try to get 5 reps with the same weight for all 5 sets before moving up, maybe for some of the smaller exercises. If you need more ideas, just ask, as forming a simple PLAN to gain STRENGTH is probably the most crucial part of training.

That is really all i can think of for the moment… haha

I hope this helps.

[quote]science wrote:
Good points though,

i start analyzing when I find a system which i like and progressed quite good and want to do it longer.
the AOW really busted my ass.
So i wanted to stick to chads philosophy.
So took after AOW paramters (others then AOW) from his rep bible but it didn´t worked anymore.
Next step was to try acc/intens.phases with chads paramters.So taken his paramters for hypertrophy one cycle,then the paramters for strength the intens.phase.
Also this didn´t worked out.I didn´t get stronger in the schemes.
Then I took of 2 weeks and started the 3-5 method from pavel-also no suxcess-not able to peak my Prs.

Then i tried to do a daily undulated approach (also a thread of mine) were I did a complete different paramters each time-also in the guidelines of the set rep bible.
i was able to progress in the new exercises(which doesn´t REALLY count for me cause you always have an improve in exercises not doin longer-pattern learning etc)
But in the “old” ones I still plateaud or even got weaker!

thats the reason why I start analyzing,cause i want to know why this system doesn´t really work anymore.
Perhaps it would be better to change the system-like the last article on T-Nation and do sth complete differently.
But i like the whole body approach and the typical paramters like 10x3 4x10 5x5 etc so much-that i want to maintain it.
The result is this thread;)
[/quote]

I understand exactly what you mean, because this happens to me as well. They say you can only realistically expect to gain 20lbs of muscle a year, but for me it doesn’t happen as 0.5lbs a week. Rather, I’ll gain 5 or 10lbs over a 6 week period, burnout, take a week off, come back strong as ever, but stall almost right away, and then flail around for 2 or 3 months trying different programs, looking for something that works.

As far as a remedy, I don’t know, I’ve only been training for three years, and some of those were better than others. My guess is, when you’re on a growth kick, make the most of it, and when it’s over, keep the weight heavy and the reps low, so you can keep your strength, but work on some other factors, like conditioning, fat loss, whatever.

[quote]Scott M wrote:
science wrote:

PS:

Lift+eat+sleep(assuming to the best of your potential, big assumption)=pretty damn good physique

saying billionare is silly but let’s change it to…

Work hard+save money=pretty damn good financial situation

Then we are getting somewhere.Problem is? Nobody really wants to do the things that fall under the first part of the equations, no matter how much they say they do, or think they do.

[/quote]

Good response.i will be big and rich -man thats a deal;)

[quote]mr popular wrote:
science wrote:
thanks for reply.

Thank you pal,
science

PS:

The principles I think you should keep in mind:

1. Muscle gains do not come from going through the motions, or some combination/scheme of numbers. A demand for muscle growth comes from forcing your body to adapt to heavier and heavier loads as fast as possible.

2. You have to have your diet in order to meet that demand for growth with a supply of nutrients. This means lots of calories, and around your bodyweight (in pounds) x 1.75 in grams of protein daily.

3. A healthy diet that avoids sugar and trans fat will also help with gaining muscle, but only ON TOP OF principle#2.

4. Select 1-2 exercises for each main muscle group, and identify each muscle group with those specific exercises. This means if you select barbell back squats as your main quadricep builder, you must double/triple your working weight for reps on the back squat in order to see gains in your quadriceps. The exercises you choose should be ones you feel hit that respective muscle group very well, and also have a great potential for rapid increases in weight.

5. Pair up your muscle groups as needed to avoid overworking any muscle group or joint throughout the week. This typically means combining things like chest/triceps, or back/biceps, but it is an individual matter.

6. Train each exercise in the way you feel allows it to increase the quickest. There are many ways to do this. If you don’t know where to start at all, use a 5x5 scheme. Either ramp the weight up to one work set of 5, or try to get 5 reps with the same weight for all 5 sets before moving up, maybe for some of the smaller exercises. If you need more ideas, just ask, as forming a simple PLAN to gain STRENGTH is probably the most crucial part of training.

That is really all i can think of for the moment… haha

I hope this helps.

[/quote]

Mr.Popular,I appreciate your effort and help-thank you very much!

[quote]Uncle Gabby wrote:
science wrote:
Good points though,

i start analyzing when I find a system which i like and progressed quite good and want to do it longer.
the AOW really busted my ass.
So i wanted to stick to chads philosophy.
So took after AOW paramters (others then AOW) from his rep bible but it didn´t worked anymore.
Next step was to try acc/intens.phases with chads paramters.So taken his paramters for hypertrophy one cycle,then the paramters for strength the intens.phase.
Also this didn´t worked out.I didn´t get stronger in the schemes.
Then I took of 2 weeks and started the 3-5 method from pavel-also no suxcess-not able to peak my Prs.

Then i tried to do a daily undulated approach (also a thread of mine) were I did a complete different paramters each time-also in the guidelines of the set rep bible.
i was able to progress in the new exercises(which doesn´t REALLY count for me cause you always have an improve in exercises not doin longer-pattern learning etc)
But in the “old” ones I still plateaud or even got weaker!

thats the reason why I start analyzing,cause i want to know why this system doesn´t really work anymore.
Perhaps it would be better to change the system-like the last article on T-Nation and do sth complete differently.
But i like the whole body approach and the typical paramters like 10x3 4x10 5x5 etc so much-that i want to maintain it.
The result is this thread;)

I understand exactly what you mean, because this happens to me as well. They say you can only realistically expect to gain 20lbs of muscle a year, but for me it doesn’t happen as 0.5lbs a week. Rather, I’ll gain 5 or 10lbs over a 6 week period, burnout, take a week off, come back strong as ever, but stall almost right away, and then flail around for 2 or 3 months trying different programs, looking for something that works.

As far as a remedy, I don’t know, I’ve only been training for three years, and some of those were better than others. My guess is, when you’re on a growth kick, make the most of it, and when it’s over, keep the weight heavy and the reps low, so you can keep your strength, but work on some other factors, like conditioning, fat loss, whatever.[/quote]

…check pm

[quote]science wrote:
thanks for reply.

Thank you pal,
science

PS:

Because whomever told you that to be a “billionaire” was based on saving was fooling you. Its Investement. Seek knowledge and then get wisdom bro.

Two guys are trying to chop down a tree. One is using a sledge and the other an axe. They’re both working hard, only one of them is working smart.

That should explain things to you.