A Thank You, Along With A Message

Hey Jim. I just wanted to give your program a shout-out here, because it’s worked wonders for me. I’m 16, I’ve been training for a year and a half, and for the last year I’ve been sick with parasites (I lost 30 pounds, got super weak, lived in constant pain, and generally wished I was dead). Well, long story short: I did 5/3/1 for that year. I didn’t set many PRs, but I was able to hit at least the minimum number of reps on all my lifts, even on my worst days.

For the last few weeks, I’ve been feeling somewhat better, and I’ve been able to push my training. I broke my old PRs that I had set when I was 30 pounds heavier. I went from 5’9”, 195 pounds to 5’9”, 165 pounds — and I’m not focusing on gaining weight so much as I am healing my gut.

So, it was a welcome surprise when I was able to break my old PRs. I can’t wait to see where I’ll go when I’m fully healed, but I just wanted to say thank you for creating this program. Also, if anyone reading this is on the fence about whether or not to begin 5/3/1, go for it. It’s easily the most sustainable, flexible, and strength-oriented weightlifting program I’ve ever done.

Old PRs (March 2018):

Squat: 260 x 10

Deadlift: 300 x 9

Press: 115 x 5

(No video of this, unfortunately)

New PRs (April 2019):

Squat: 255 x 15

Deadlift: 330 x 10 (more in the tank)

Press: 125 x 10

BW Exercise PRs (March 2018)

Pushups — 35 in one set, 115 in 10 minutes
Pull-ups — 5

BW Exercise PRs (April 2019)

Pushups: 80 in one set, 160 in 10 minutes
Pull-ups: 20

I didn’t think I was getting stronger while I was sick; but I obviously was. Figured I’d put this out there for a few hesitant lifters to consider. 5/3/1 works.

10 Likes

Reading sensible posts like this from the young generation restores my faith in humanity.
Great work.

4 Likes

Thanks. Hopefully, Jim sees it and is able to use it on his blog to attract more trainees. I figured a comprehensive write-up was the least I could do to thank the guy for his work.

Nice job.
Though I’m curious why you switched from deadstop conventional to sumo tng.

1 Like

Well, to make a long story short, my leverages changed when I lost all that weight. I can and do use conventional deadlift variations as supplemental work (for example, Dimel DLs, RDLs, etc.); but pulling sumo allows me to pull more weight more safely. I use a closer stance sumo as well — it’s actually a pretty close match to my squat stance (I squat a bit wider than shoulder width).

The technique clicks better for me, if that makes sense. When I get a bit heavier, my leverages may change. For example, when I was 180; back in November, I pulled 310 x 12 conventional.

Your a beast.

1 Like

Thanks dude, but my bench still sucks. :joy:

My thoughts exactly, you’re a beast. Nice post and keep up all the hard work.

1 Like

Thank you very much. Do you have a log on here?

Nope

You are very welcome. You deserve all the credit as you gave all the effort.

2 Likes

Thanks Jim. I appreciate that.

1 Like

great job!

1 Like

Thanks! It took a while, but I’m finally getting back to getting strong.