A Tale of Jump Roping Caution

sso back in july/august i began doing jump roping before my workouts as a warmup and a bit after for some conditioning. i really enjoyed it, and thlught i was progressing quite nicely. each week i added 50-100 jumps, starting with 100 a day the first week for 4-5 days a week, and every 2 weeks i dropped back 100 jumps. so my weeks went something like this…100/200/250/200/300/400/250/450/500/550/400.

it was around this 11-12th week that i noticed i had a good deal of burning sensation in my feet, and it felt worst upon waking in the morning in my heels. i could still lift but jump roping had to be put to the side. well fast forward til today (4 months later) and i still feel it somewhat upon waking and dont feel confident in doing any conditioning besides some sled walks.

i know its plantar fasciitis, im just baffled by how sudden it came on and how it just does not go away. i think if i had kept this to hill sprints and box jumps it wouldnt have happened, i think the constant jumps were just too much for my feet to handle. anyways, just a thought for those considering doing jump ropes.

How heavy are you? Do you ever foam roll your plantar fascia?

Another caution; be-aware of jumpers knee.

tweet

[quote]theBird wrote:
How heavy are you? Do you ever foam roll your plantar fascia?

Another caution; be-aware of jumpers knee.

tweet[/quote]

at the time i was only 170. im now 190 intentionally. definitely not a heavy weight…

I did it and go numbness/prickers in my ring toe on my right foot. A year later, still have it.

Do you wear shoes while jumping, or go barefoot? What sort of surface are you jumping on? How high do you lift your feet?

I believe it is more about the impact of the foot strike, than about the ‘jump rope’ as a generality,

[quote]lifter85 wrote:
sso back in july/august i began doing jump roping before my workouts as a warmup and a bit after for some conditioning. i really enjoyed it, and thlught i was progressing quite nicely. each week i added 50-100 jumps, starting with 100 a day the first week for 4-5 days a week, and every 2 weeks i dropped back 100 jumps. so my weeks went something like this…100/200/250/200/300/400/250/450/500/550/400.

it was around this 11-12th week that i noticed i had a good deal of burning sensation in my feet, and it felt worst upon waking in the morning in my heels. i could still lift but jump roping had to be put to the side. well fast forward til today (4 months later) and i still feel it somewhat upon waking and dont feel confident in doing any conditioning besides some sled walks.

i know its plantar fasciitis, im just baffled by how sudden it came on and how it just does not go away. i think if i had kept this to hill sprints and box jumps it wouldnt have happened, i think the constant jumps were just too much for my feet to handle. anyways, just a thought for those considering doing jump ropes.[/quote]

I have similar issues from time to time with my heels, not the achille but the connection with bone (sorry for my english) i can barely walk in the morning when i wake up, sometimes i have it on both feet. And then i realized i have flat feet. The pain comes with lots of walking/running/training and i got rid of it by changing the shoes. Skate (flat) shoes are worst nightmare, try to change for more ergonomic / orthopedic ones. That helped me. I did not encounter any problems since that…

It’s funny that you caution against jumping rope to avoid Plantar Faciitis. I have been jumping rope (and doing dumbbell swings) to include some conditioning into my workouts as I already have Plantar Faciitis and found that this is one of the few things that do not trigger it. As long as I don’t jump rope bare foot or with chucks on and wear my Nike Free runs, jumping rope does not hurt at all.

I found a website with a bunch of exercises and videos to help relieve Plantar Faciitis but I’ve yet to start doing them, if anyone is interested I’ll post the link when I get home from my laptop.

I have had it flare up twice. Make sure to do calf stretches. Arch suppurts will heal it right up. I had it for 3 months and then after wearing arch supports all day and not running It has gone away. I now can run. Good luck.

[quote]Bungalow wrote:
Do you wear shoes while jumping, or go barefoot? What sort of surface are you jumping on? How high do you lift your feet?

I believe it is more about the impact of the foot strike, than about the ‘jump rope’ as a generality,[/quote]

x2

Op, were you landing on your heel?

that is very unfortunate because I have known jump roping to help cure plantar fasciitis. owever if ave acquired plantar fasaciitis there is a way to completely cure it without dealing wit the pain. I noticed you said tat since you ave gotten it, it never went away.