T Nation

A Suit or a Tux for Prom?

Its my senior year, and prom’s coming up. Last year I did what everyone did, and rented a tux, and looked really good. Luckily, my parents paid for it. Now this year, I have a job, make decent money, and I have to pay for all my stuff. So I’ve been thinking of the idea of just buying a suit to wear, instead of renting a tux. It seems like it would be cheaper, and I’d actually own the thing. Is this a good idea, or will it be noticeable and make look underdressed? Sorry this is such a ‘high school’ problem, but I thought some of the old T-man vets who actually attend alot of formal events would know what would look good and give some advice.

I’d say tux for prom but you can get away with a nice black suit, white french cuffed shirt, shiny or brushed (not rhinestoned) cufflinks, and a skinny black tie.

Or you can stop fuckin around and buy the Lloyd Christmas tux for $200.

You’ll have more pussy than you’ll be able to smash.

Prom is beyond overrated. I went with a nice suit jacket,solid blue jeans,and dress shoes.

Jason Statham would approve^

Black Mandarin Suit, Silk Violet Shirt with Violet Handkerchief…go at it like Rocky!!

Simple

go in a dress

First, if you want to really be “on it”, Tuxedos are what Americans call men’s semi-formal-wear. Tuxedo Park gave us the name.

So. We have formal-wear: white-tie and tales. Not a lot of room to be creative.

Semi-formal, which is black-tie.

Then we have suits, which are more like a buisness thing, but have made their way into the semi-formal world.

If it were me, and I were going with a date who was into it, i.e. getting all dressed up and expecting the entire production, I’d go all out with white-tie and tales. It’s fun.

Otherwise, I’d wear a nice suit, assuming I owned one. If not, I’d wear whatever the nicest (quality) “dress-up” stuff I have. I think there’s nothing worse than a bad rental “tux”.

Alls I know is I wouldn’t spend more than 25-30 bucks on the whole thing (above the ticket price).

That includes hallucinogens and beer.

Texas Tux

May I suggest anything Spitzer-esque. You just can’t go wrong.

You can’t go wrong with the Canadian tuxedo

It’s my senior year also, I rented a tux last week for it, it just suits the event. Unless your prom is in your gym. Then wear a t-shirt and shorts.

You’re a senior … you plan on growing still? What I mean by that is you plan on getting wider (back) and thicker (back/chest/arms/waist)? Rent the fuckin’ tux. You’ll just throw $200 bucks away on a suit that’ll be too small for you in a year or 2.

[quote]polo77j wrote:
You’re a senior … you plan on growing still? What I mean by that is you plan on getting wider (back) and thicker (back/chest/arms/waist)? Rent the fuckin’ tux. You’ll just throw $200 bucks away on a suit that’ll be too small for you in a year or 2.[/quote]

Suits can’t be altered?

Go to Kohls. Buy tuxedo (yes, they do sell them in the suit section- or at least what they consider a tux). Wear it one night. Return it.

I have had numerous friends do this- works well.

[quote]Ct. Rockula wrote:

[quote]polo77j wrote:
You’re a senior … you plan on growing still? What I mean by that is you plan on getting wider (back) and thicker (back/chest/arms/waist)? Rent the fuckin’ tux. You’ll just throw $200 bucks away on a suit that’ll be too small for you in a year or 2.[/quote]

Suits can’t be altered? [/quote]

so can your face … don’t second guess me again or it’s garlic pizza for you

[quote]polo77j wrote:

[quote]polo77j wrote:

so can your face … don’t second guess me again or it’s garlic pizza for you[/quote]

You can’t kill me, I still have what you want.

muhuhahaha!!

[quote]ADvanced TS wrote:

Or you can stop fuckin around and buy the Lloyd Christmas tux for $200.

You’ll have more pussy than you’ll be able to smash.[/quote]

My little brother wore an orange one like this to his prom about 4 years ago.

I wore a black jacket with tails and a light green shirt with ruffles.

Chicks seemed to love it in 2006 or 1997… why so serious?

[quote]polo77j wrote:

[quote]polo77j wrote:

so can your face … don’t second guess me again or it’s garlic pizza for you[/quote]

You can’t kill me, I still have what you want.

muhuhahaha!![/quote]

well, if that’s the only thing keeping you alive at the moment chances are you’ll never give me the full recipe which means I might as well kill you anways … I think I might puree the garlic and slip it into one of your protein shakes…