Just Another Log

Week 3 - Conditioning

35 Min Tumbling

All sorts of rolls, cartwheels, flips, handstand shit. Body feels so loose and primed but I’m tired as shit.

MOVING FORWARD:
I hate having to wait for the bench press. The DBs seem to always be open. Since I don’t have unlimited time at the gym, I decided to make the OHP my primary pressing movement so I’m not waiting around at the gym for any equipment. Seems that the squat rack is always open and I can always grab a bar and press it anywhere

Still 5/3/1 Full Body though!

Week 3 - Recovery

90 Min Hot Yoga

Much needed! Body feels so good!

Week 3 - Day 3 - Cycle 1

BACK SQUAT
145x5
165x5
185x5

OVERHEAD PRESS
95x5
110x3
125x7 PR Set
95x8
95x8
95x8

DEADLIFT
200x5
220x3
245x5 PR Set
200x12

NG CHIN UPS
30 total reps

DECLINE SITUP (Max Decline)

NOTES: Punched the clock.

1 Like

I’ve been eating very simple and it’s having tremendous success in the short span. My energy levels, my fat is shedding (not even in a deficit, I think just cleaning up my food), and I just overall feel better. My days have literally been this:

Morning Shake
-2 Banana
-1 Apple
-4 tbsp peanut butter
-2 cup raw spinach

While @ Work
-1 lb of cooked chicken breast/thighs
-2 hard boiled eggs
-3 cups white rice
-2 tbsp coconut oil
-1.5 lbs of veggies

This gives me: 2500 cals with plenty of C/F/Pr.

This works out perfectly for me because then for dinner I either have my fiance make dinner, my soon to be in laws, I personally make it, or I just go out and enjoy my evening with friends. But either way I stay under 3000 cals for now and it gives me variety.

My tacos were good, but the amount of corn was just not vibing with me, so switched to this style to keep myself consistent. As long as I’m active I’m fine with high carbs and protein. Too much fat (even if healthy) makes me feel super sluggish.

2 Likes

CYCLE 2 - Week 1 - Day 1

SNATCH
115x2
115x2
115x2
115x2
115x2
115x2

BACK SQUAT (I absolutely love 1 high rep set of squatting, I’ve never wanted to grind through something so bad)
135x5
150x5
165x14 PR Set
135x8
135x8
135x8

DB BENCH PRESS / DB ROW
50x11 / 60x12
50x11 / 60x12
50x11 / 60x12
50x11 / 60x12
50x11 / 60x12

NG CHIN UPS / AB WHEEL
50 total reps each
I’ve been trying to get to 50 reps by doing less and less sets overall. I’m down from 17-18 to now 12-13 sets for pull ups. I like using the neutral grip because it doesnt hurt my elbows and allows me to get a full range of motion. I’ll use these as my main pull up variation until I get really good, then I’ll start mixing it upj.

EZ BAR CURLS
45 total reps

NOTES: Back at the 24 in Broomfield, CO. Love the fact there’s technically 6 squat racks. This is my probably my favorite training day overall. Everything feels really balanced. I use to hate back squats, but I’m starting to really like them.

POST WORKOUT MEAL: Crawling Crab!!! Nothing like eating a crazy amount of seafood after a great session!

THOUGHTS: I now completely understand what Wendler (and you guys that have helped me) when he states that you can’t go balls to the wall for every exercise in the workout. By the time I got to my upper body work I was pretty fatigued from the snatches and back squats. I’m starting to really understand the intricacies of 5/3/1 at an early training age. I now know what he means when he says it’s not about the program but the principles of it. A person doesn’t have to follow 5/3/1 using percentages and all that. But the concepts and principles of programs can be used for anyone. Waving weights and weeks and going heavy on 2 exercises per day and lighter and more reps for the assistance. I’m so glad you guys helped me out!

1 Like

One question for anyone following along.

With the way things are setup, I’m basically doing rows only once a week.

Does this make a difference? I’m not trying to become a better rower. Just want a stronger back.

I mean I am hitting my back with chin ups, deadlifts, snatches, cleans, front squats, overhead press, and back raises. I’m sure that’s plenty of back work both directly and indirectly. Rowing once a week is probably fine and I the original 5/3/1 has it only once a week.

Figured I’d ask because it seems everyone always says do a lot of rows.

@isdatnutty chins most definitely count as rows, so that’s twice a week. Front squats work your upper and middle back a ton too. If you’re concerned, try chucking in band pull aparts between some pressing sets a couple of times a week.

1 Like

Thanks man! I’m not too worried about it right now. I’ll actually have started doing 100 of those band pull aparts daily now. I do 4 sets of 25 spread throughout the day. I think I’ll stick to just 1 day of rowing for now. When I get to be able to do 5 sets of 10 pull ups, I’ll probably add in a 2nd day of rows (cs/db row day one, bb row day 2) and cut back a bit on the pull ups. Thanks for your insight!

1 Like

Caught the flu and I was literally in bed for 5 days. Haven’t been able to really eat anything, workout, and I’ve probably dropped a bunch of weight. I’m feeling much better now, and will be getting back into it tomorrow. This week I’ll do 5’s pro just to wake my body up again.

I’ve been doing

Limber 11
Upper Body stretches
Shoulder dislocates
Band Pull aparts

3x a day for the past few days just so I could do something. At least I won’t be tight when going back to the gym tomorrow.

Just gonna repeat my last workout to “wake up” my body again. Felt really weak today. Coming off a sickness is no fun.

SNATCH
95x3
95x3
95x3
95x3
95x3
95x3

BACK SQUAT
135x5
150x5
165x10

DB BENCH PRESS / DB ROW
50x10 / 60x10
50x10 / 60x10
50x10 / 60x10
50x10 / 60x10
50x10 / 60x10

NG CHIN UPS / DECLINE SITUP
50 total reps each

1 Like

Been CRAZY busy at work and wedding planning the last week so I’ve actually split my workout into the last 6 days.

It’s been 30 minutes in the gym everyday. The 2 exercises are supersetted.

Day 1 - Squats + Abs
Day 2 - DB bench + DB row
Day 3 - Front Squats + Abs
Day 4 - Overhead Press + Chin Ups
Day 5 - Squats + Abs
Day 6 - Overhead Press + Chin Ups

Still getting that weight up!

I realized for the past few years the reason I haven’t gotten stronger was due to not enough food and inconsistency.

I’ve become consistent and eat minimum 2300 cals. My lifts have all sky rocketed. They all feel crisp and powerful!

Will start logging here properly once this week is over. Got my real log in my notebook!

1 Like

HANG SNATCH PR! So fucking pumped!
135x3
135x3
135x3
135x3
135x3

BACK SQUAT
185x5
185x5
185x5
185x5
185x5
155x3 (Paused)
155x3 (Paused)
155x3 (Paused)

OVERHEAD PRESS / NG CHIN UPS
115x5 / 8
115x5 / 7
115x8 / 6
95x13 / 5

BARBELL ROW
135x10
135x10
135x10
135x10
135x10

BACK EXTENSIONS

NOTES
PR’d on my Hang Snatch. Fixing some technique brought my poundage up in 2 weeks significantly. Worked out with a friend and he does the Texas Method, so decided to switch it up a bit for today. Back Squats are starting to get crisp!

2 Likes

Random question.

But here is my dilemma. I found out at my wedding I’m going to have to carry my wife and other people in all sorts of crazy positions. I think in order to do this, I need to do some strongman training at least once week.

I can’t 100% get my arms around my fiance because I got trex arms and she’s in the process of getting into shape as well.

I physically have to lift her off the ground while she’s sitting and move her like 10 feet.

You guys think Atlas stones or tractor tire flips/deadlifts the best way to practice this? It would mimic it the closest I think.

2 Likes

And on side note. I found out my brother in laws basketball coach is Brian Shaw’s sister lol. Small world we live in!

1 Like

CLEAN & JERK
135x2
145x2
155x2
160x2
165x2
165x2
170x2 (PR)
170x2 (PR)

FRONT SQUAT / NG CHIN UPS
170x3 / 5
170x3 / 5
170x3 / 4
170x3 / 4
170x3 / 3

CLEAN DEADLIFT / HANGING LEG RAISES
225x5 / 15
245x3 / 15
275x7 (PR) / 15

DIPS / CURLS
15 / 12 (45lb BB)
15 / 12
15 / 12
15 / 12
12 / 12

NOTES: Everything from here on out is a PR basically for all my lifts besides OHP. Going back to my Olympic lifting roots. I personally find it sets the tone for the rest of the training session. It locks me in and the aggression needed to do a clean or snatch transfer over the power lifts really well… It’s been nice, my fiance has noticed my body changing. She’s like you feel like a “piece of concrete” lol. Whatever I’ve been doing it’s been working.

I’m starting to believe that programming (as long as it’s not stupid) doesn’t really matter. All that matters is eating right and just getting to the gym (or the garage) and putting in the work day in and day out. A person needs to be able to adjust the training on the fly when life gets in the way.

For example the week 2 weeks ago where I could only get to the gym for 30 minute a day. I just did squats + abs one day and then a push/pull the other day and repeated. 3 months ago I would have never done that. 5/3/1 taught me all the principles that make a program successful. Your body doesn’t know there’s 7 days in a week or your working out 3 days a week. It just knows you are going and putting in work! rant over lol.

1 Like

SNATCH (Need to stick with this weight but manipulate the volume for a few weeks)
135x2
135x2
135x2
135x2
135x2
135x2

BACK SQUAT (Finally hit 200lbs!!!)
205x5
205x5
205x8
155x10
155x10
155x10

OVERHEAD PRESS / BARBELL ROW (Super setting this had my upper body on fire!)
120x5 / 135x12
120x5 / 135x12
120x5 / 135x12
105x10 / 135x12
105x8 / 135x12
105x6 / 135x12

AB WHEEL / HIP THRUST
12 / 15
12 / 15
12 / 15
12 / 15
12 / 15

NOTES: This workout felt GOOD! This one if proof of how far I’ve improved so far. I would definitely say I left feeling strong lol.

I haven’t gained any weight at all and my lifts are still increasing. Still stuck at 168lbs. I’ll have to start gaining weight soon enough here though. My body composition is changing though.

1 Like

I’m excited. I should be able to get to my goals of a 135lb OHP for reps and 225 Back Squat for reps @ 168lbs within a few weeks. Just goes to show what just showing up and putting in the work will do for you. I basically “Fast” one day a week and some days don’t eat as consistently. But I think the just getting into the gym no less than 4 days a week has really helped.

I’ve started to jump rope for my conditioning which has been nice. Colorado too fucking cold right now to run outside lol. I don’t know how some people I see do it. My bones hurt lol.

1st, congrats!!!

Yes.

I love the Atlas Stone idea. Tire flips too. Also Front Squats from here on out and I think some log clean and press will have good carry over too.

If I were you I might go against a Log’s advice in here and “Go full strongman”.

Sorry if you mentioned it but how long before you get married?

Also, what kind of wedding is this? It sounds like a ton of fun!!!

1 Like

I actually think Strongman would accomplish these goals better than traditional PL or BBing.

Strongman has a “cardio” element to it that will help prepare your work load capacity for the work load capacity of your wedding.

Strongman work also more accurately mimics the desired tasks.

You could then use the Big 3 as assistance work.

Other options to molding the Atlas stone is the keg (brilliant idea) and sand bags. Both of those options should be easier to make.

If you can/want to great but I dont think this would be necessary.

If you haven’t already check out the logs of @Alpha @littlesleeper @flipcollar

Off the top of my head they train strongman and will be a lot more helpful.

2 Likes

Don’t forget @T3hPwnisher and @strongmanvinny2 !

3 Likes