Just Another Log

You are right man, got a bit ahead of myself lol. I just started from the beginning and read through it all again and you are right. I went from trying to do the most, to now making steady progress and learning great lessons along the way!

1 Like

Since I only have 4-45’s, 4-25’s, and 4-10’s in terms of weight. This will be my progression chart. These are the jumps I will have to take with weights. So having this mix of sets/reps, intensities, volume, and frequency will really help.

I think I am definitely going to have high volume days and high intensity days, etc. Taking the jump from 115 to 135 for example on OHP is huge. But gotta find a way to make it happen!

Bar: 20kg/45lb

1 Like

Overhead work is the best. The most impressive strength feat is a big clean and press (or clean and push press). It’s a shame the clean and press got phased out of Weightlifting.

In general I have a really soft spot for jerks, presses, push presses, etc. It just seems like the logical course of action, get a bar onto your shoulders or back through some sort of means then get it over your head a few times.

3 Likes

You know I was thinking about on one of my days instead of doing a clean and the press separate to legitimately do a true clean and press. Have you seen those Klokov Power Weekend videos? Have to bring a 3rd lift into the equation!

Yeah man I love overhead work. I think it makes your strong everywhere (just like a front squat). I think if more people focused on the OHP in the beginning (like 2-3 years) and then started bench pressing, a lot of these shoulder issues will be gone. I don’t know how it is for you but overhead work definitely makes my abs and upper back sore too lol.

I also feel like in the old days, that’s what people did. You pick shit up and put it over your head lol.

1 Like

x3 what they said. I get the idea of starting new threads for new “chapters” in training, but there’s a definite plus side to keeping a long-running thread. Either to look back on and say “holy shit look how far I’ve come” or just to easily refer back to whatever (PRs, input from others, etc.).

Like, Pwnisher’s “Post Knee Reconstruction” log has been going on for almost a year and a half, but I guess everything he’s doing now is technically “post” knee reconstruction. Alpha’s current “Alpha V” has also been going for about a year and a half, and I think it only got to version 5 because the old forum used to have thread limits and they kept filling up and locking. Spock’s log is about 2 years straight and she’s been trucking along solidly. So, yeah, either way can work.

1 Like

For sure man! After I read back from the beginning to now I did not realized how much more I’ve learned and progressed. Definitely will just keep it going!

Day 5 of 365

Thur 4/13/17 (Sprints)

Ran 12 Sprints at lunch.

I’m going to run sprints during my lunch at work here on out. It’s quick and easy and there is a nice grass park 4 blocks away. Sun is out in Denver so it feels good now. Plus nice break from the office!

1 Like

Yeah, I think that’s the reason many of us that have been around for awhile have log version 1, 2, 3, etc.

I started a new log for each new year in the past, but this year didn’t bother. In the last 2+ years, my training and goals have remained similar enough that it was worth continuing and building a true long-standing thread so I can look at how things have evolved over time.

1 Like

Yeah, overhead work is murder on your traps, abs, and back if you didn’t specifically build that kind of strength with stuff like overhead supports. I push pressed 255 recently, and my body was literally shaking the moment the momentum cut out and the weight went on my triceps.

And yeah, I’ve seen the klokov power weekend videos, they are really cool. As far as training the clean and press separate, probably do a clean for each of your press sets, then do actual cleans. With even my massive strength reserve my working strict press sets aren’t going to be enough to really do anything other than light form work on my clean.

Also I agree. A body weight strict press was one of the first things I hit before going from general strength training into powerlifting, and I literally never had shoulder issues (though I did shit loads of back work too).

2 Likes

So the worst fucking thing happened to me this morning!

140lbs (2-45’s, 2-25’s) of bumper plates were stolen from the side yard!

My in-laws live in a very safe and no theft type neighborhood. The type where you can leave your front door open unlocked at night.

Last night I was showing my brother-in-law how to do some basic pressing and rows and because it was nice we were training outside. I brought everything in but the newer set of bumpers because since they are still pretty new they have this “shipped from china oil” smell to them. Wanted them to air them out.

This morning I came and they are not in the side of the house! Idk if someone drove by and saw us lifting or if some neighborhood people saw that. No cameras, so I got screwed.

I know I probably shouldn’t of left them out, but damn never thought bumper plates would get stolen!!!

So now I only have 225 of total weight. I can’t buy anything else for the gym until after the wedding.

Maybe it’s time to pack on size with a lot of rep PRs until I can get some more bumpers. Instead of 5x5 @ 225 on squats, maybe I should aim for 10x10 lol.

I have plenty of weight for my upper body lifts. Shit I even have enough to hit my Clean goal.

Fuck man…

What do you guys think I should do? I’m thinking I add Fronts in one day and just go more reps/sets with the back squats. This might be a blessing because it will get me really locked in at squatting and not focusing on weight but reps.

I’m gonna go have a nice glass of bourbon lol. Still in disbelief someone took my bumper plates! I’m just glad I didn’t leave everything outside.

That sucks, and is a lesson for me that once I have a garage gym of my own, make sure that I keep everything indoors under lock & key.

EDIT: with that said, there’s no reason this need be a MAJOR setback in your training. You still have a barbell and enough plates to squat 225. Time to pound the reps. If you can get strong enough to squat 225 for 10x10, when you are able to buy more weights, I expect that the 1RM will go skyrocketing upward quickly.

3 Likes

Sorry to hear that, what a weird thing to steal. With regards to your goals what about a 225 front squat instead of a 315 back squat or paused if that’s too easy?

1 Like

No doubt man, whether it’s indoors or in a shed, lock up your equipment! I realized this morning, people will steal anything!

But yeah man I’m still bummed, but I’m looking at this as a challenge. Having to work with even less but still getting as strong as I can.

My question to you would be how do I change my programming in a way that I can work towards a 10x10?

I figure if I can do 225 for 10x10, I don’t know how many reps, but I think I would be able to do 315 for a few.

I think I like the idea of a 10x10 225 Back Squat as a goal.

I think I’ll add in front squats one day when I do paused back squats one day. Or now my 5x5 days will be paused to make it harder.

I mean, the ideas are endless.

Suppose you can do 10x3x225 right now. Here’s one idea for a progression scheme:

3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3
4, 4, 4, 4, 4, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3
5, 5, 5, 4, 4, 4, 3, 3, 3, 3
4, 4, 4, 4, 4, 4, 4, 4, 4, 4
5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 4, 4, 4, 4, 4
6, 6, 6, 5, 5, 5, 4, 4, 4, 4
5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5
6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5
7, 7, 7, 6, 6, 6, 5, 5, 5, 5
6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6
7, 7, 7, 7, 7, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6
8, 8, 8, 7, 7, 7, 6, 6, 6, 6
7, 7, 7, 7, 7, 7, 7, 7, 7, 7

(and so on)

1 Like

Thank you so much for taking the time out to write that out! I think this is what I’ll definitely do 1-2 days each week. I appreciate it man!

I feel better now that all is not lost lol. I think long term this might even be better for me because it’ll force me to do way more reps and get truly in tune with the movement instead of worrying about adding weight to the bar!!

Ok so due to my shit being stolen my template will shift just a bit:

DAY 1
Clean (Light)
Back Squat (10x3-10)
Overhead Press (5x5)
*Assistance 2-4

DAY 2
Clean (Heavy)
Paused Back Squat or Front Squat (5x3-5)
Overhead Press (3x10)
*Assistance 2-4

DAY 3
Clean (Medium)
Back Squat (Go for a Rep PR with 225, back off sets)
Overhead Press (3-5RM, back off sets)
*Assistance 2-4

That’s actually a pretty solid idea (the 10-sets-with-225 on Monday with a rep-PR-at-225-set on Friday).

Do that, not the stupid thing I wrote out above. I mean, maybe use the stupid thing for your rep progression on the Monday workouts. You get the idea.

1 Like

I think your idea is great man. I’ve never done a 10x3 workout. I’ve done 10x1 with C&J, but never squats. So I think I’ll start this Monday with 10x3 (30 total reps) and basically over time try to get 10x10 for 100 total reps. I couldn’t do that 2 days lol, but on Monday I think it’s fine.

I’m just surprised I have a solid idea for once haha! I guess I really am learning for real!

1 Like

Day 6 of 365

Fri 4/15/17

BACK SQUAT
185x10
205x10
225x5

NOTES: I just ended the workout after that last set. I wasn’t mentally there at all. Even the squats were sloppy. I’ll pick up where I left off tomorrow.

LUNCH TIME SPRINTS
10 Sprints
Ate a crazy amount of sashimi after.