A Staggered-Rep Ramping Approach?

Hi, CT,

I was wondering what you thought of these two approaches, based on what you’ve been writing about autoregularion.

(1) Alternating explosive sets of 5 at about 50-60% of 1RM, with sets of 3 at about 70-80%.

I tried this with jumping bulgarian split squats (for 6 sets total, 5/3/5/3/5/3 with 10 lb and 25 lb dumbbels).

(2) Alternating sets of 3 reps and 4 reps at 70-80% – slightly ramping up the weight, if possible – to increase the number of sets at which you can lift explosively with good form.

I tried this on weighted pull-ups this week. 6 sets of switching between 3 reps and 4 reps (21 total reps) with a 35 lb dumbbell between my legs felt faster and cleaner than last week’s 5 sets of 4 reps (20 total reps) with the same dumbbell.

Do these seem like inefficient approaches to you, and do you have any staggered ramping techniques that you like to use?

Thanks,
Brian

[quote]Brian Smith wrote:
Hi, CT,

I was wondering what you thought of these two approaches, based on what you’ve been writing about autoregularion.

(1) Alternating explosive sets of 5 at about 50-60% of 1RM, with sets of 3 at about 70-80%.

I tried this with jumping bulgarian split squats (for 6 sets total, 5/3/5/3/5/3 with 10 lb and 25 lb dumbbels).

(2) Alternating sets of 3 reps and 4 reps at 70-80% – slightly ramping up the weight, if possible – to increase the number of sets at which you can lift explosively with good form.

I tried this on weighted pull-ups this week. 6 sets of switching between 3 reps and 4 reps (21 total reps) with a 35 lb dumbbell between my legs felt faster and cleaner than last week’s 5 sets of 4 reps (20 total reps) with the same dumbbell.

Do these seem like inefficient approaches to you, and do you have any staggered ramping techniques that you like to use?

[/quote]

The term Staggered Reps has been used for a way to address a unilateral imbalance. You do 1 rep on the weak side, then a rep for both sides at the same time. I don’t think it’s very effective.

What you are talking about is something different. I know Chad Waterbury has recommended something similar as a way to increase workload:

[quote]For the rep progression, I like to add a rep to every other set. The reason is because adding a rep to every set, for each subsequent workout, can prove too difficult for many.
So with Monday as an example, your second week of the sample rep progression would look like this: 6 reps w/8RM, 7 reps w/8RM, 6 reps w/8RM, 7 reps w/8RM. For the third week, Monday should consist of 7 reps for all four sets.[/quote]

You are talking about lower reps though.

Today I tried the 3,4,3,4,3,4 … pullups thing because it looked a little like CT’s Capacity Ramping in the new back phase to the IBodybuilder program.

It actually seemed to work well for acceleration. Rested 60 seconds. I stopped the exercise when my traps started struggling to help in the last set of 4. The sets of 3 reps amp you up for the sets of 4. Every rep was explosive.

Thanks, I will experiment with this more.

These are ladders and I use them a lot for ramping purposes. Let’s say I want to do 5 reps with X weight. After ramping up with lower weight, I’ll load the bar with X and then do a set with just one rep. This is just to get a feel for the weight and prepare my nervous system to handle the load. Initially, the weight might feel heavy, but that’s to be expected (at least I expect it). I’ll then do another set with 2-3 reps. Typically, this second set feels lighter than the first. Then I’ll go ahead do a set of 5. The weight usually feels challenging but not like it will crush my spleen. If I want to add some volume, I might start back at 1 rep and proceed to do a ladder of 1,2,3,4, and 5 reps. It’s a good way to add volume using a heavy weight without killing yourself. This is what works for me.

Are you talking about Pavel T’s stuff? What % range of your 1RM do you do your ladders?

[quote]ARelhem wrote:
Are you talking about Pavel T’s stuff? What % range of your 1RM do you do your ladders?
[/quote]

I don’t know if Pavel invented ladders but he did make them popular. I’m talking about using ladders as part of ramping as opposed to using them as a stand-alone method. Let’s say I want to work up to a 3 rep max for the day. Once the weight starts to get heavy, I may do a set with only 1 or 2 reps just to get a feel for the weight before doing a set of 3. In this case, I don’t work off of percentages - it’s just a way to get a feel for the weight.

[quote]MikeTheBear wrote:
These are ladders and I use them a lot for ramping purposes. Let’s say I want to do 5 reps with X weight. After ramping up with lower weight, I’ll load the bar with X and then do a set with just one rep. This is just to get a feel for the weight and prepare my nervous system to handle the load. Initially, the weight might feel heavy, but that’s to be expected (at least I expect it). I’ll then do another set with 2-3 reps. Typically, this second set feels lighter than the first. Then I’ll go ahead do a set of 5. The weight usually feels challenging but not like it will crush my spleen. If I want to add some volume, I might start back at 1 rep and proceed to do a ladder of 1,2,3,4, and 5 reps. It’s a good way to add volume using a heavy weight without killing yourself. This is what works for me.[/quote]

Mike,
How many cycles of 1,2,3, 4, 5 reps with X weight will you usually do for one exercise?

[quote]jimg21 wrote:

These are ladders and I use them a lot for ramping purposes. Let’s say I want to do 5 reps with X weight. After ramping up with lower weight, I’ll load the bar with X and then do a set with just one rep. This is just to get a feel for the weight and prepare my nervous system to handle the load. Initially, the weight might feel heavy, but that’s to be expected (at least I expect it). I’ll then do another set with 2-3 reps. Typically, this second set feels lighter than the first. Then I’ll go ahead do a set of 5. The weight usually feels challenging but not like it will crush my spleen. If I want to add some volume, I might start back at 1 rep and proceed to do a ladder of 1,2,3,4, and 5 reps. It’s a good way to add volume using a heavy weight without killing yourself. This is what works for me.[/quote]

Mike,
How many cycles of 1,2,3, 4, 5 reps with X weight will you usually do for one exercise?
[/quote]

Not too many - usually just one. It generally takes me several sets to ramp up to a heavy double, triple, or set of 5, so I get plenty of volume that way. In his Enter the Kettlebell book, Pavel says you should be ready to press a kettlebell the next size up if you can do 5 x (1,2,3,4,5) with your current weight. So, if you can do 5 x (1,2,3,4,5) with a 32 kg kettlebell, you be ready to press a 40 kg. I’m not trying to push Pavel or his products here - I’m just giving you an example and a possible goal to work towards. 5 x (1,2,3,4,5) = 75 total reps, so it’s a lot of work. You’ll probably gain some size as well as strength if you try to get 5 x (1,2,3,4,5). Certainly don’t do it every workout.

[quote]jimg21 wrote:

Mike,
[/quote]

Not too many - usually just one. It generally takes me several sets to ramp up to a heavy double, triple, or set of 5, so I get plenty of volume that way. In his Enter the Kettlebell book, Pavel says you should be ready to press a kettlebell the next size up if you can do 5 x (1,2,3,4,5) with your current weight. So, if you can do 5 x (1,2,3,4,5) with a 32 kg kettlebell, you be ready to press a 40 kg. I’m not trying to push Pavel or his products here - I’m just giving you an example and a possible goal to work towards. 5 x (1,2,3,4,5) = 75 total reps, so it’s a lot of work. You’ll probably gain some size as well as strength if you try to get 5 x (1,2,3,4,5). Certainly don’t do it every workout.[/quote]

Thanks. Appreciate the info!