A Simple Beginner's Routine

Hi guys,

what do you think of this program.

I plan to do a bodybuilding routine after my second stall on SS

A Simple beginner’s Routine
You will do 3 work outs per week on non consecutive days. The first work out is your heavy work out. The second work out is your medium work out, use 10% less weight for your work sets. The final work out for the week is your lite work out, use 20% less weight.

Do a lite warm up with 1/4 of your work sets weight. Do a medium warm up with 1/2 of your work sets weight. Do 2 work sets with the same weight. Choose a starting weight and start light.

These are the seven exercises you will be starting with.

Squats
Bench Presses
Bent-Over Rows
Overhead Barbell Presses
Stiff-Legged Deadlifts
Barbell Curls
Calf Raises

You will be running this program on a five week cycle as follows:
The first week do all 4 sets for 8 reps.
The second week do all 4 sets for 9 reps.
The third week do all 4 sets for 10 reps.
The fourth week do all 4 sets for 11 reps.
The fifth week do all 4 sets for 12 reps.
If you got all of the required reps on the fifth week then increase the weight by 10% and

repeat the cycle. If you didn’t get all of the reps on the fifth week then repeat the cycle with the same weight. You shouldn’t need more than one minute rest between the warm up sets and you shouldn’t need more than one minute thirty seconds between the work sets.
Do some cardio and abs work on non weight training days.

whats your reasoning behind this?

did you just copy and paste an article and make it into your own thread?

A google search for the phrase “You will do 3 work outs per week on non consecutive days” gives 8490 results. I imagine you’ll find more info there than the dozen or so replies you’re going to get here.
Also, if you’ve “stalled out” on SS you probably aren’t eating enough.

[quote]plantedman wrote:
You will do 3 work outs per week on non consecutive days. The first work out is your heavy work out. The second work out is your medium work out, use 10% less weight for your work sets. The final work out for the week is your lite work out, use 20% less weight.

Do a lite warm up with 1/4 of your work sets weight. Do a medium warm up with 1/2 of your work sets weight. Do 2 work sets with the same weight. Choose a starting weight and start light.

These are the seven exercises you will be starting with.

Squats
Bench Presses
Bent-Over Rows
Overhead Barbell Presses
Stiff-Legged Deadlifts
Barbell Curls
Calf Raises

You will be running this program on a five week cycle as follows:
The first week do all 4 sets for 8 reps.
The second week do all 4 sets for 9 reps.
The third week do all 4 sets for 10 reps.
The fourth week do all 4 sets for 11 reps.
The fifth week do all 4 sets for 12 reps.
If you got all of the required reps on the fifth week then increase the weight by 10% and

repeat the cycle. If you didn’t get all of the reps on the fifth week then repeat the cycle with the same weight. You shouldn’t need more than one minute rest between the warm up sets and you shouldn’t need more than one minute thirty seconds between the work sets.
Do some cardio and abs work on non weight training days. [/quote]

[quote]plantedman wrote:
what do you think of this program.[/quote]
I think that program was put together arbitrarily by some random guy on the bb.com forums. And if you read that OP’s signature, “Every thing works…for about 6 weeks”, that about sums up my opinion on this plan.

Nothing terribly wrong with full body workouts in general, and this one in particular is reminiscent of some old routines from the 1960s (makes sense since the guy who created the routine is almost 60 years old), but the set/rep scheme seems pretty random. I don’t usually like beginners to start lifting with such high reps.

Last week you said you were only two months into Starting Strength, but you were mucking around with the exercises for various reasons. If you still don’t have access to a full gym (with a flat bench and/or spotters), I don’t know how or why you’re considering this type of plan, since you’re probably going to try to tweak it on your own anyway.

So yeah, you’d be much better off fixing your elbow (that you were complaining about last week), and either finding an inexpensive commercial gym to join or choosing a program from a qualified coach and following it to the letter.

Yes, I copied and pasted a thread.

It seems to be the most popular beginner workout there, thats why I was asking opinions on it.

I was interested mainly because I will be working further away from my 1rm, which hopefully will help with my tendonitis.

Why not such high reps? I think Christian Thibaudeau recommends 6-8 or 9-12 rep schemes for beginners.

[quote]plantedman wrote:
I was interested mainly because I will be working further away from my 1rm, which hopefully will help with my tendonitis.[/quote]
A legit case of tendonitis does change things, but I hope you’re addressing it in other ways (like bumping up your fish oil intake) and not just revamping your entire training plan around it.

Not lately he doesn’t, I believe. And if he does, all due respect to CT, but there are a bunch of other coaches who also advocate lower reps for beginners.

When beginners learn by using higher reps (and lighter weights to accommodate those reps), they tend to fatigue before the set is finished, which increases the chances of sloppier reps, which can teach bad habits. I’d, usually, prefer to have a beginner to work in a lower rep range and focus on a handful of perfect reps, rather than have them get used to grinding out reps at any cost from day one.

Texas method 0r 3 way split

[quote]Cprimero wrote:
Texas method 0r 3 way split[/quote]

x2 Texas method is solid