T Nation

A Setback: Diet While Injured

Well, I have encountered a roadblock. I hyper extended my knee about 6 days ago, sprained my ankle two days ago, and think that I dislocated my kneecap on the knee that I hyper extended. I am going to the doctor as soon as possible. I do not think the ankle will be a problem, proper rest should take care of it. My knee scares me though. It felt like the patella slid over to the outside of my knee but popped back in immediately. This happened earlier this evening.

Anyway, my current goals are to lose body fat and to maintain or possibly improve strength and overall athletic ability. Now that my ankle and knee are injured it looks like many options are out of the picture. I can’t run, jump, or make any sort of athletic move. I recently tried doing a bodyweight squat and my knee did not hurt, but it felt strange and unstable.

My upper body lifting will not be curtailed, but lower body is going to be a crapshoot. Until I find out what I am dealing with I’m not going to squat, dead lift, do any Olympic lifts, or run. For exercise I think that I should be able to walk without pain in a few days.

In terms of diet, I’m going with between 1 and 1.5 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight, about 100 grams of fat, and less than 50 grams of carbohydrates a day. I drink three protein shakes a day with a tablespoon of coconut oil mixed in. I eat a couple of cans of tuna a day with a tablespoon of olive oil mixed in. I also eat sardines occasionally and snack on almonds and pistachios. I usually take between 20-25 grams of fish oil a day.

I weigh about 280 right now with between 20-25% bodyfat. I’m looking to get down to 265 as an immediate goal.

I appreciate any input or advice regarding my situation. Thanks in advance.

Just keep trucking bro really what you were doing prior train every darn body part you can and make SLOW not drastic changes to your diet to get the desired results.

Injuries suck but you can come back even stronger and ahead of the game in many ways if you dont let it get you down and keep rollin

Phill

I had a similar predicament about a month ago when I got tendinitis in my knee and wrist. When your healing, your body needs more fuel and nutrients. I would suggest messing with your macro’s but not with the calories. Don’t forget your multi-v and fish oil.

hope you recover soon, knee injuries suck :-/

I appreciate your encouragement Phill. I have no choice but to keep going. Last time I had a serious injury I let myself get down in the dumps about it, not this time.

I plan lifting weights for upper body three times a week. I’ll be able to start walking for long distances soon.

I’m going to make my weight lifting sessions as intense as possible to increase the amount of calories I burn. I’ll superset everything and minimize rest periods.

Any other ideas on how to increase calorie burn for someone in my situation?