A Sane Canadian (No, Not Vroom)

[quote]doogie wrote:
You know who looked really happy? Those Heaven’s Gate people in their new shoes and purple uniforms, eating their pudding.
[/quote]

Go Go Go… away team! C’mon man, the aliens are waiting in the fifth dimension!!

The whole surgical removal of your balls thing must have been a bummer for a little while, though. I think that if I woke up one day and realized I had let some kook talk me into chopping my nuts off, I would kill myself too. I mean, what’s the point after that? That’s just Darwinism at its finest.

[quote]lothario1132 wrote:
doogie wrote:
You know who looked really happy? Those Heaven’s Gate people in their new shoes and purple uniforms, eating their pudding.

Go Go Go… away team! C’mon man, the aliens are waiting in the fifth dimension!!

The whole surgical removal of your balls thing must have been a bummer for a little while, though. I think that if I woke up one day and realized I had let some kook talk me into chopping my nuts off, I would kill myself too. I mean, what’s the point after that? That’s just Darwinism at its finest.

[/quote]

After judgin the effects of neutering on several of my male cats and dogs i can only conclude that in doogie’s case it would result in a more pleasant/laid back personality and fewer occurences of stalking prof x - for those that know what im talking about i just think its funny. Man my sense of humor gets silly when im stoned but hey its the weekend.

Worshipping Bush is the definition of sanity? Well, hell, call me insane all you want then, that is more a price than I’m prepared to pay!

[quote]thabigdon24 wrote:

After judgin the effects of neutering on several of my male cats and dogs i can only conclude that in doogie’s case it would result in a more pleasant/laid back personality and fewer occurences of stalking prof x - for those that know what im talking about i just think its funny. Man my sense of humor gets silly when im stoned but hey its the weekend.[/quote]

Oh, you dumbass.

Now your post up above makes a little bit of sense. That was Oogie (now carrot something or other) stalking Prof. X. See, it’s two O’s at the beginning.

I’m doogie. Not the same, douchebag.

Hooked on phonics worked for me!

[quote]vroom wrote:
Worshipping Bush is the definition of sanity? Well, hell, call me insane all you want then, that is more a price than I’m prepared to pay![/quote]

Cleary this thread was just an attempt at baiting you. You didn’t bite. The end.

Doogie is a douche. We have a small military because our liberal government as corrupt as they may be is intelligent enough to know that giving health care to canadians is more important than bombing a nation over nothing. How dare you criticize our armed forces, look at the world wars you idiot. In ww1 we amassed an army of 800 000 from a population of like 8 million. You can bet ur ass that when a just cause arises in the near future our country will kick serious ass like before. We don’t need a fucking strong military in peace time.

[quote]paul bunyan wrote:
We don’t need a fucking strong military in peace time. [/quote]

No shit, you’ve got the US as a buffer.

Doogie is a douche. We have a small military because our liberal government as corrupt as they may be is intelligent enough to know that giving health care to canadians is more important than bombing a nation over nothing. How dare you criticize our armed forces, look at the world wars you idiot. In ww1 we amassed an army of 800 000 from a population of like 8 million. You can bet ur ass that when a just cause arises in the near future our country will kick serious ass like before. We don’t need a fucking strong military in peace time. [/quote]

I never criticized your armed forces (or lack thereof). I didn’t write the article (which was about Bush’s response to Katrina, anyway).

All the CANADIAN author said about your military is:

“We hardly have a military up here. We have elected one feckless government after another, who have cut corners until there is nothing substantial left. We don’t have the ability even to transport and equip our few soldiers. Should disaster strike at home, on a big scale, we become a Third World country. At which point, our national smugness is of no avail.”

Honesty though, what could your country do if Katrina hit Canada? Not much. A little bit of too much Bush loving, but nevertheless there is some truth in it.

Here is an interesting article that accurately reports on Canadian Military capability and evaluates the situation. Also offers options.

Canada spends the second lowest on it’s military of all NATO nations.

It is true that Canada has a relatively small and obselete military, but the problem (from a military point of view) is that most Canadians don’t want to hear about increased military spending if it implies cutting in health care or other social services.

The population’s mindset on military issues is of course very different in Canada. For one, their is basically zero pride in our Armed Forces nor is their much recognition by the public. So, the military kinda has a hard time justifying itself, whereas in the States there is pride in behind the first military power in the world, having the most state of the art technoligies and you get respect from a large part of the population.

There was a very large flood in the Saguenay region in 1996.

''For two days in July 1996, torrential rains pounded the Saguenay-Lac-Saint-Jean region of Quebec and caused the worst flood in the province’s history. The floodwaters were so powerful they swept away a whole shopping complex, ripped apart homes and buried cars under mud. Scientists said it was a natural disaster likely to happen once every 10,000 years. The government called it “an act of God.” Two hundred and ninety millimetres of rainfall fell in less than 36 hours and caused an estimated $1 billion in damages in the region and at least 10 deaths. Thousands of homes, roads and bridges were washed out and there were downed power lines. A total of 15 825 people had to leave their homes. At least 20 major bridges were heavily damaged. More than 50 towns and villages were inundated, or main roads destroyed and electricity cut off. Aluminum plants and paper mills slowed or closed for a month. At least 3200 industry workers were idled and three schools were closed. The Canadian Red Cross sent 1600 volunteers to set up a temp office and evacuate people. Overall, they assisted 16 000 people.

‘’ There were some 10 deaths. Still some of the videos were freakin’ impressive.

In 1997, there was the ‘‘Flood of the Century’’ in Manitoba. On May 7 at Emerson, on the Manitoba-U.S. border, the river was 30 kilometres wide. The entire flood area covered 2000 square kilometres, including 200 000 hectares of farmland, about five per cent of the entire province?s farmland. Two thousand cattle and 45 000 laying hens were evacuated. As well, 22 000 people from rural areas and towns were evacuated, over 6000 from Winnipeg. Military help included 8,500 soldiers.

There also was the Ice Storm of 1998, in my city we lost power for some 30 odd days and had police and military presence.

So we very, very rarely get the kinds of floods or natural disasters that the US gets. Also there were none of the associated problems that were seen in NO, at least not to the extent of being mentioned on the News.

Maybe Canadians are more docile than Americans, when the police/military says ‘‘Go home, its curfew.’’ you go home and when they say ‘‘Get the Hell out!’’ you get the Hell out (usually they’re pretty nice.) Just throwing it out there.

And Yeah, Canada is America’s bitch and I LIKE IT!

AlexH.

Doogie is a douche. We have a small military because our liberal government as corrupt as they may be is intelligent enough to know that giving health care to canadians is more important than bombing a nation over nothing. How dare you criticize our armed forces, look at the world wars you idiot. In ww1 we amassed an army of 800 000 from a population of like 8 million. You can bet ur ass that when a just cause arises in the near future our country will kick serious ass like before. We don’t need a fucking strong military in peace time. [/quote]

I pissed my pants laughing at this. Whats the most successful war you’ve won? Keeping the Inuit up in the ice? Keeping yourself from becomiong the 14th colony over 200 years ago?

Please.

have to say insulting a country over nearly losing a war is laughable at best when your an american. don’t get me wrong, it must be bliss to believe that you are the best and brightest people in the world, but let face it we should look at the most profesional nation in the world britain.

sorry but i think bush is not an idot and i admire him for making everyone believe he is, but i think hes a shit president!!!

[quote]Pete The Newbie wrote:
have to say insulting a country over nearly losing a war is laughable at best when your an american. don’t get me wrong, it must be bliss to believe that you are the best and brightest people in the world, but let face it we should look at the most profesional nation in the world britain.

sorry but i think bush is not an idot and i admire him for making everyone believe he is, but i think hes a shit president!!![/quote]

I’m glad you don’t think he’s an idot either cause that would be stupid.

My dad can beat up your dad…

Nice thread!

That was a very interesting link Hedo, some good reading for all Canadians (if you are pressed for time, just read the recommendations in bold).

I wish this country would get it together and revamp our military (amongst other things). It needs it, far too much beuracracy with way too little bang for our buck.

Part of being a good neighboor is doing your own “yardwork” and right now, we’re not. That’s a fair criticism from the states.

But to those americans who think Canada owes them something because of your military presence, we don’t. You’ve got the greatest military in the history of the world, and you would have done it regardless of our military spending. No way we should “owe you” for something you’d have done regardless of our position.

We need a greater military presence not because we owe you anything, but because our gov’t owes it to us.

[quote]towner24 wrote:
But to those americans who think Canada owes them something because of your military presence, we don’t. You’ve got the greatest military in the history of the world, and you would have done it regardless of our military spending. No way we should “owe you” for something you’d have done regardless of our position.

We need a greater military presence not because we owe you anything, but because our gov’t owes it to us.[/quote]

Don’t worry towner, you’ll be getting us all back with that free health care. I have a fake Canadian ID for the next time I get sick. Can I sleep on your sofa?

PS I can’t wait to drink some decent Canadian beeer instead of this pisswater budweiser shit we have down here.

Towner

If I am not mistaken that report was done by Canadians for a Canadian audience.

I thought the most important conclusion was that if you are going to rely on others for your defense then you are also at their mercy. As long as your allies are benevolent you are fine. The risk is that at some point they will not be and your trade becomes at risk.

Interestingly the authors also stated that due to the close proximity and economic ties of both nations whoever becomes an enemy of the US will also become an enemy of Canada by default. The Canadian military, as a matter of National Pride, wants to hold up their end, and provide for their own defense should that occur. I’m sure the US military and government would like to see that also.

[quote]hedo wrote:
Towner

If I am not mistaken that report was done by Canadians for a Canadian audience.
[/quote]

It was, I think the unfortunate reality is that many of us don’t know/or care enough about the topic.

I just don’t understand the thinking up here of “why would anyone want to attack us?” - do people really want to leave the option of hurting our country up to other people?

We need to be in control of our own safety, period.

And Loth:

You’re welcome anytime, but just don’t be surprised if when you come for the free healthcare we put you to work.

Just like when you can’t pay for dinner and they put you to work washing dishes.

[quote]lothario1132 wrote:

PS I can’t wait to drink some decent Canadian beeer instead of this pisswater budweiser shit we have down here.

[/quote]

I heard the American government forces all US beer companies to make their products taste like shit. It’s part of the ‘War on Drugs’.