T Nation

A Sane Canadian (No, Not Vroom)

http://www.davidwarrenonline.com/index.php?artID=510

Blame throwing

"There's plenty wrong with America, since you asked. (Everybody's asking.) I'm tempted to say, the only difference from Canada, is that they have a few things right. That would be unfair, of course -- I am often pleased to discover things we still get right.

But one of them would not be disaster preparation. If something happened up here, on the scale of Katrina, we wouldn't even have the resources to arrive late. We would be waiting for the Americans to come save us, the same way the government in Louisiana just waved and pointed at Washington, D.C. The theory being, that when you're in real trouble, that's where the adults live.

And that isn't an exaggeration. Almost everything that has worked in the recovery operation along the U.S. Gulf Coast has been military and National Guard. Within a few days, under several commands, finally consolidated under the remarkable Lt. Gen. Russel Honore, it was once again the U.S. military, efficiently cobbling together a recovery operation on a scale beyond the capacity of any other earthly institution.

We hardly have a military up here. We have elected one feckless government after another, who have cut corners until there is nothing substantial left. We don't have the ability even to transport and equip our few soldiers. Should disaster strike at home, on a big scale, we become a Third World country. At which point, our national smugness is of no avail.

From Democrats and the American Left -- the U.S. equivalent to the people who run Canada -- we are still hearing that the disaster in New Orleans showed a heartless, white Republican America had abandoned its underclass.

This is garbage. The great majority of those not evacuated lived in assisted housing, receive food stamps and prescription medicine and government support through many other programmes. Many have, all their lives, expected someone to lift them to safety, sans input from themselves. And the demagogic mayor they elected left, quite literally, hundreds of transit and school buses parked in rows to be lost in the flood, that could have driven them out of town.

Yes, that was insensitive. But it is also the truth; and sooner or later we must acknowledge that welfare dependency creates exactly the sort of haplessness and social degeneration we saw on display, as the floodwaters rose. Many suffered terribly, and many died, and one's heart goes out. But already the survivors are being put up in new accommodations, and their various entitlements have been directed to new locations.

The scale of private charity has also been unprecedented. There are yet no statistics, but I'll wager the most generous state in the union will prove to have been arch-Republican Texas, and that nationally, contributions in cash and kind are coming disproportionately from people who vote Republican. For the world divides into "the mouths" and "the wallets".

The Bush-bashing, both down there and up here, has so far lost touch with reality, as to raise questions about the bashers' state of mind.

Consult any authoritative source on how government works in the United States, and you will learn that the U.S. federal government's legal, constitutional, and institutional responsibility for first response to Katrina, as to any natural disaster, was zero.

Notwithstanding, President Bush took the prescient step of declaring a disaster, in order to begin deploying FEMA and other federal assets, two full days in advance of the stormfall. In the little time since, he has managed to coordinate an immense recovery operation -- the largest in human history -- without invoking martial powers. He has been sufficiently Presidential to respond, not even once, to the extraordinarily mendacious and childish blame-throwing.

One thinks of Kipling's "If --" poem, which I learned to recite as a lad, and mention now in the full knowledge that it drives postmodern leftoids and gliberals to apoplexy -- as anything that is good, beautiful, or true:

If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you;
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
But make allowance for their doubting too;
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don't deal in lies,
Or being hated, don't give way to hating,
And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise...

Unlike his critics, Bush is a man, in the full sense presented by these verses. A fallible man, like all the rest, but a man."

Oh... man.

I can't wait to hear the responses to this one.

doogie just dont start stalking vroom

Gag....

This article is so fucking stupid that I am not even going to respond until someone really pisses me off. Because this article is retarded and aboslutley biased.

I think maybe this is what made it so similar to gay erotica:

"Unlike his critics, Bush is a man, in the full sense presented by these verses. A fallible man, like all the rest, but a man."

What do you guys think? There's an awful lot of man-lovin' going on in that ass-kissage of an article. He probably had to dust his knees off after writing it.

ask prof x about that bwahahaha

Just like Mr. Burns and Waylon Bennett Smithers...

Maybe this is why Bush always looks so surprised.

so far doogie you seem to have some long rambling posts and hint to the rest of the forum at obscessing w/ others it seems only w/ men and your pretty rude. Is its true that you had kids, are they weird- weird as in having some major psychological dysfunctions like at least one of their parents? You would probably make me drool to psychoanalyze you.

Now now, don, that wasn't doogie that wrote the article, right? He posted it, sure... but it's not like it was doogie himself that recited poetry (holy San Francisco, Batman!) to honor the image of GWB. Maybe doogie just didn't realize the extent of the author's Elton John-esque fascination with our less-than-universally beloved president.

To be honest, I don't think that GWB is our worst president... far from it. I would not be surprised to find a devious and vast evil intelligence hiding behind the "common guy" veneer which GWB cloaks himself in -- and this article's author slavishly worships.

You know... kind of like Reagan. Yeah, yeah, you're SOOOO forgetful of everything, Ron. Whatever. You're gonna tell me that a senile moron brought down the most dangerous enemy that the US has ever faced AND rejuvenated our tired economy to the extent that he did? Yeah, right. I highly suspect that Bush is no more stupid than Reagan was forgetful.

Be careful of buying in to media hype, folks. Yeah, Bush scored marginally better than Kerry on some standardized tests. How much you wanna bet that Bush was drunk and jacked out of his gourd while taking them? This guy coasted through college, maybe not because he had a rich daddy buying everyone off like so many people like to harp on. Maybe he coasted and partied his ass off because he knew he could -- and still pass. That's not dumb... that's brilliant. Cake and eat it too? All of us should be so gifted.

And don't forget that this former alcoholic then parleyed his business holdings and political connections, played his cards with perfect timing and diligence, and arguably "stole" a presidential election, taking that four years and the tragedy in them to motivate his voter base to become the president for a second term with more votes than any other president in the history of our country.

Yeah, stupid... I don't know about you guys, but I have to grudgingly admire the guy not only for his ambition but for his ability to fool so many many people who consider themselves intellectual elite into thinking that he is dumb, and therefore not a threat to them. Y'all bought it dems... hook, line, and sinker.

My two cents: if you're going to admire Bush, don't do it because he's so "common". He's not. There's nothing "common" and "everyday" about the man. Look deeper than the silly gay Canadian guy here, and realize what the dude really is.

Leave it to the liberal left on this board to have nothing to rebut this with other than name calling of doogie...

That is their m.o. Look at this thread and many others. They have got to be lonely, despondent, miserable people full of vitriol and angry about almost everything. Sad. They deserve our pity.

"lonely, despondent, miserable people full of vitriol and angry about almost everything. Sad."

Do you see anything hypocritical about that statement?

This is somewhat OT and not intended to start a flame war, but as I read the original post and considered the response levels necessary for Katrina and Rita, the thought occurred to me, what happens in Canada when a major catastrophe occurs (as an aside, does Canada ever have major catastrophes given the geographic placement?).

Every thing I have read here (and other places) leads me to believe that Canada's military has been drastically downsized. Does Canada have a reserve or National Guard equivalent? Or are there civilian/province resources available? Or is it every one for themselves (seems unlikely). If this is too far off track, just ignore.

LS

Throttle comes across as a popular, elated, happy person full of joy and ecstatic about almost everything. Gay.

(Gay in the happy sense of course).

You got that right! Life IS good! (I don't know about the "popular" adjective but I am definitely a positive person. Sorry but the gay remark had to be deleted. Even though used in the old-fashioned sense I had to step away from it in light of the under-handed and connotative use of it)

Zap, you are truly a friend for your positive remarks and I thank you, buddy.

Come train with me sometime and we'll explore the use of sarcasm.

We can also discuss the psyches of God-haters and religion bashers who spew their venom which I honestly believe is intended to mask their feelings of self-worthlessness. They are adrift in a universe that has no meaning or purpose to them. If they see a religious person who is happy, who sees a universe that has a design and a mission, it sub-consciously grinds at them and makes them bitter.

I've got a feeling we'll disagree on the above subjects so let's plan on discussing the Ass Worship thread while you're here too.

PM me when you get your travel schedule squared away.

I read that five times, and gave up on trying to understand it. Can you translate that into English for me?

its kuhrazy:)

LOL Or maybe we just think you are silly. No... it couldn't be that... :slightly_smiling:

You know who looked really happy? Those Heaven's Gate people in their new shoes and purple uniforms, eating their pudding.