T Nation

A Ruggers Training

In order to reach a goal, one must lay out the framework for that goal. Well, obviously, that is the purpose of this journal. I have been keeping a training journal for the past 23 days in hopes of recording progress on my lifts. The training I was doing was based upon many compound movements, such as squats, rows and dips (5x5 one day, 4x10 the next), however I neglected to do much work on my fitness. So, looking to become a better rugby player, I need to drastically improve that. “Widow Maker” training, as it had often been called, is a series of compound lifts performed consecutively with a light weight. I plan to do this exercise on Mondays, Wednesday and Fridays, and have my rugby specific training on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

Here’s a bit of info you may want to know�?�

I’m 21 yrs old and I’ve been playing rugby for 4 years and my highest level was playing college select side and in the Colorado Mountain League (with the foreigners, who just happen to be some of the best ruggers I’ve ever played with). Currently, I’m a member of the Glenwood Springs Defiance RFC so I have to travel an hour every Thursday to attend their practices. In the event I can’t make it, two other team mates and my self will perform some sort of rugby specific training that day.

I’m 6’2’’ and currently weigh 216 lbs (16.7% body fat). My body fat was calculated using a three point caliper technique on June 18th. My next test is around July 18th.

Prior to each workout, I walk “uphill” for 10 minutes to get my heart rate up around 140-150 BPM. 140 BPM is 70% of my predicted maximum heart rate (199) and 150 is 75%. After that, I perform a series of dynamic movements that will mimic what occurs in a rugby match (spider mans, mountain climbers, lunges, squats, gate swings and shoulder rotations). Mixed in with this are two to three sets of pushups (10 reps, hold for 10 seconds, 10 reps, hold for 10 seconds, as many reps as possible). By this point I am sweating and my body is ready to train. As far as why I do this? I have no idea - it’s just how I’ve been coached (minus the pushups, but I don’t think they’re going to hurt my cause).

I’ll outline my workouts in later posts, as well as upload some recent photos. (The attached photo is Apr 2007. I’m on the right with the mop top, and yes, I have a haircut now.)

Cheers and beers