T Nation

A Regimen Loosely Based On Starting Strength

I know Rippetoe would be pissed if he read this thread, with these questions, but hopefully he won’t. I have “burnout” meaning I’m exhausted from lots of stress building on itself as well as unhealthy adderall use which has killed my hormones/cortisol: which I’m being treated for. Anyways, I have a bench, squat rack, and STANDARD barbell w/ 250 pounds of plates. For the time being I’m looking to just make linear progress, since rippetoe’s program is very intense and I don’t think the current conditions of my body would allow for it. So, can I get some feedback on this: basically starting strength, barbell rows replacing power cleans, and done on standard, not olympic barbell, 3x/week alternating workout A: Squats/Bench/Deadlift B: Squats, Bench, Barbell row and weight progression of 2.5lbs per exercise every time until I have to dial back by 5% or something like that. Basically, I want to lose weight and get my body used to exercise again after years of stress without exercise, and constant fatigue.

Look into greyskull LP, it’s more flexible, has a slower progression, and is based on linear progress. Essentially, you squat twice per week, deadlift once, and alternate bench press and overhead press. For upper pulling, you have the option of including curls, rows, and/or pull-ups.

Get your health in check first. While you’re doing that, do a bunch of bodyweight work a few times a week: push-ups, fatman pull-ups, lunges, etc. Go for a walk daily or at least every second day.

Once you’ve got your health in a better place, pick a program and do it exactly as written. Don’t change programs because you think you can improve them. If you think you can improve a program, look for a different one that you don’t feel the need to tinker with and do that one.

Great rec. Thank you!!!

Try Bob Hoffmann’s old school York System. Basically, you pick 8 or 10 lifts, bench, squat, press, deadlift, sit ups, an so forth and work up to 10 reps, add weight when you get to 10 solid reps. You do one set of each exercise 3x a week for the first month. The second month do the same workout, but do two sets instead of one. At 3 months do 3 sets. After the end of 3 months you will feel and look better and be ready to tackle a more advance program, such a starting strength. This program should minimize injuries, promote healthy habits, and build the foundation.