A Recovering Crossfitter...

Since T-Nation loves to hate on crossfit I thought you might like this article. Or not. It’s probably more interesting for the women. I thought it was interesting.

ahhhh

yea,debra, i went there.

<3

Instead of saying “I can’t help but to think that had I not lost nearly a fifth of my body mass over the previous three months, I would have won the games,” she should have said, “I can’t help but to think that hat I not given into the peer pressure and lost nearly a fifth of my body mass over the previous three months, I would have won the games.”

that was really wonderful, debra. thanks so much for posting it :slight_smile:

very interesting for me to read, too, how Ripptoe got her on ‘Starting Strength’ even though she clearly isn’t a ‘beginner’ in the typical meaning of the term. i suspected he thought it was good for anyone who hadn’t slept properly, ate properly, and maxed out their linear progression. Also interesting to know about increasing the intensity and reducing the volume in order to work the Olympic Lifts as well. I might try and learn more about how he did that…

I really like the end (last page or 2) and want to have my wife read that part, but the rest is hard to relate to since the author seemed to be pretty hardcore in some type of fitness her entire lift.

Good read, thanks Deb.

Thanks for the link, Deb. Interesting read.

cliff’s notes?

[quote]polo77j wrote:
cliff’s notes?[/quote]

Talented high-school athlete leaves school, takes up bodybuilding in her twenties, tries out for American Gladiators, gets turned down because of her height (too short), gets addicted to crossfit, loses lots of muscle and athletic ability, gets injured as a result, gets coached by Rippetoe, reformed crossfitter regains muscle and athletic ability.

[quote]polo77j wrote:
cliff’s notes?[/quote]

This individual, a recovering crossfitter, realized that the anorexic zone diet and many other general crossfit training principles are stupid, and very dangerous to females with body image issues.

The focus on metcons and starvation diets to increase “fitness”, is a sham and only makes you look fit with ripped abs, while generally decreasing performance across broad time and modal domains.

The best way to maximize the density of fitness as represented as a pie chart with 10 slices, representing these modal domains, it to lift heavy weights, drink chocolate milk, and get fucking jacked while riding your motorcycle across country to obtain olympic lifting coaching from a poor to slightly below average olympic lifting coach.

Chocolate milk FTW!!!

Interesting read but this woman had her body image problems long before ever stepping into a crossfit gym (gymnastics coaches are the worst about their athletes weight).

For what it’s worth at this years Crossfit games the top three females had the below height and weight.

1. 5’5" @ 147#
  2. 5’2" @ 133#
  3. 5’9" @ 150#

[quote]sdjohn67 wrote:
Interesting read but this woman had her body image problems long before ever stepping into a crossfit gym (gymnastics coaches are the worst about their athletes weight).

For what it’s worth at this years Crossfit games the top three females had the below height and weight.

1. 5’5" @ 147#
  2. 5’2" @ 133#
  3. 5’9" @ 150#

[/quote]

That’s funny what I typed ended up under somebody else?

[quote]lanchefan1 wrote:

[quote]sdjohn67 wrote:

1. 5’5" @ 147#
  2. 5’2" @ 133#
  3. 5’9" @ 150#

[/quote]

That’s funny what I typed ended up under somebody else?[/quote]

That happened to me last week.

This is Nards by the way…just incase this post comes up uner someone else’s name.

[quote]Nards wrote:

[quote]lanchefan1 wrote:

[quote]sdjohn67 wrote:

1. 5’5" @ 147#
  2. 5’2" @ 133#
  3. 5’9" @ 150#

[/quote]

That’s funny what I typed ended up under somebody else?[/quote]

That happened to me last week.

This is Nards by the way…just incase this post comes up uner someone else’s name.[/quote]
gosh, i was having a small fit until I read the followup posts. whew!

[quote]theuofh wrote:
The focus on metcons and starvation diets to increase “fitness”, is a sham and only makes you look fit with ripped abs, while generally decreasing performance across broad time and modal domains.
[/quote]

have you ever done crossfit? its a “sham and only makes you look fit with ripped abs, while generally decreasing performance across broad time”?
what experience are you basing that quote on because it is a very bold statement.

Also, the main diet that is adopted by crossfitters is the “Paleo” diet… how is eating “paleo” a “starvation diet”?? There are quite a few on this website who have BB style goals that eat Paleo.

I know hating on crossfit is the cool thing to do but its probably best if you use statements that loosely resemble facts to do so.

Didn’t read the article, eh?

[quote]gregron wrote:

[quote]theuofh wrote:
[/quote]

have you ever done crossfit? its a “sham and only makes you look fit with ripped abs, while generally decreasing performance across broad time”?
what experience are you basing that quote on because it is a very bold statement.

Also, the main diet that is adopted by crossfitters is the “Paleo” diet… how is eating “paleo” a “starvation diet”?? There are quite a few on this website who have BB style goals that eat Paleo.

I know hating on crossfit is the cool thing to do but its probably best if you use statements that loosely resemble facts to do so.[/quote]

I was talking about the zone diet dipshit, which involves measuring and weighing everything. Some of these people will seriously count out almonds, eat like 2.5 strawberries, half an apple, and crap like that, to make sure they get their blocks 100% correct, and if you even do the math on it, some of these people are eating about 1300 calories a day.

Theres a big debate in the crossfit “community” about what to eat, unweighed, unmeasured paleo, paleo zone, or zone regardless of where the nutrients come from. I’ll tell you one thing, and thats that I’d rather shoot my head than talk about it, as its really not worth the time and effort most of these people put into it. The worst ones are the newbs who hear about this stuff for the first time, and its like they just met god, and have to preach the word to everybody and everyone they know about it.

Also, I was referencing what the article was discussing, i.e. giving cliff’s notes. I never said they were my views, but they do happen to resonate with my experiences.

I’ve trained regularly with 2 crossfit COACHES for about a year now, and another 2 for about 3 months.

Crossfit is adult day care for white people with enough discretionary income to drop anywhere from $120-200 a month, for one size fits all group programming, pretty much based around getting in and out of the gym in whatever the gym’s allotted class time is.