T Nation

A Random Realization

Obviously after reading countless posts, you get to know people, and how they train.

I’ve realized many people are educated and know what they’re talking about, but many more people are not. The nation is often times a place where people are flamed for stupidity, but the question is who are the people arguing, bitching and flaming. This post is not to call anybody out or mention names, but there are quite a handful of posters who have felt the need to always argue.

This leads me to the fact that 90% of the posters on here are weak and sport shit physiques. Now I’m not claiming to be some beast either, I do know alittle bit and am stronger than most my age, but when I see people who are in the steriods forums listing their stack, training for 5+ years and not even benching 250 makes me wonder how shitty people train, and how stupid it is of them to give out advice and even dare to argue with more knowledgable members. The majority of adults, and teenage twats are extremely weak and small for the years of lifting they’ve put in and are know where near the level to be giving others advice or critique. I feel embarassed for some people who dish out advice on a regular basis, but later I learn that they’re very weak and look like shit themselves, it seems to be a weekly accurance.

Why do people give advice on things they’ve never experienced?

Would i coach someone to get a 400 pound bench press when I’ve never bench pressed 400 pounds? It makes absolutely no sense. The only exception to the rule is critiquing people in the rate my physique forums, cause boy do most of those idiots deserve it.

If you don’ know shit, or you are not “the shit,” your posts are probably shit, end of story.

If you really have read “countless posts”, this realization shouldn’t have been all that random.

[quote]austin_bicep wrote:

Why do people give advice on things they’ve never experienced?

[/quote]

While I agree with the gist of your post, I disagree with the above statement. You have coaches throughout all sports who teach people to do things that they could never do themselves.

For example, Tiger Woods has coaches, even though none of them can do what he does.

[quote]SouthernGypsy wrote:
You have coaches throughout all sports who teach people to do things that they could never do themselves.[/quote]

As the saying goes, coaches are just players who weren’t good enough.

This statement isn’t always true, but it’s something my high school football coaches (one of which played LB at Notre Dame) would laugh at all the time.

I usually ignore the 130lbers giving bulking advice.

Haha, what? How is that even possible, barring some extremely serious shoulder or pec injury?

[quote]SouthernGypsy wrote:

For example, Tiger Woods has coaches, even though none of them can do what he does.[/quote]

True, but this is the exception. Tiger Woods wouldn’t even let a prospective coach NEAR him unless the coach had a very successful track record.

For every coach that can’t do what he coaches - yet does a great job, there are 1,000 people who think they can do the same and fail.

Funny you mention that. I’m not using steroids and have nothing against any one who has as I have experimented in the past, but I do sometimes read threads in that forum if they are interesting. I do recall seeing one guy really get into different discussions and start threads on orals and going over stacks he did or was doing. He happened to mention his lift numbers and they were on par with a newbie. Made me wonder if he was fulfilling some need for camaraderie.

D

Personally, I kinda like it when weak nerds bring up obscure studies that seem to contradict what bigger people than them say.

They get horribly flamed.

And then someone will put the study and it’s conclusion into context, and then I emerge a little wiser.

[quote]SouthernGypsy wrote:
While I agree with the gist of your post, I disagree with the above statement. You have coaches throughout all sports who teach people to do things that they could never do themselves.[/quote]

While this is true, I feel that weight training is different than most activities. I really don’t care what anyone says if they haven’t walked the walk.

[quote]Dedicated wrote:
Funny you mention that. I’m not using steroids and have nothing against any one who has as I have experimented in the past, but I do sometimes read threads in that forum if they are interesting. I do recall seeing one guy really get into different discussions and start threads on orals and going over stacks he did or was doing. He happened to mention his lift numbers and they were on par with a newbie. Made me wonder if he was fulfilling some need for camaraderie.

D [/quote]

I could name a handful of people who regularly post that take steriods have been working out for years and ain’t shit. I’d feel horrible if I were them, and to see them parading about like they know anything and everything about bodybuilding/strength training is a complete joke.

I also see guys who always argue and “hate” on people, but when I read their logs or when they post questions which include their numbers and stats I’m ususally in bewilderment because how can someone talk smack when they’re nowhere near big and strong or talk shit to people who are bigger and stronger. People are such hypocrites, and the internet allows this bullshit.

There are many people I can’t take serious because if you’re not serious about training how can you give out advices. I haven’t been directly affected by this sort of stuff, but i have witnessed it many times and I, in need of a reality check, have noticed that most people are clueless to weight training and should be using this site as a place to gain experience, not to give out shit information to screw someone else up.

If my buddy asks me where he could get info on training, I probably wouldn’t reccomend T-Nation until he had some basic experience and 6 months of training under his belt because he’d probably get screwed with some BS routine given by some BS poster.

If your buddy asks you, just print out rippetoe for him dude. that is all the dude needs to build a base to get to be a fairly strong dude.