T Nation

A Quicky at the Gym

Guys
In the very same building where I work now there’s a brand new gym.
I was thinking of working out there since it’s so close,I just need to go down the stairs from my office.
Only problem is that I have one hour break,my lunch break.

So within one hour I should workout+shower+eat something and be back in the office.

Do you have some suggestions for a very quick workout for a beginner (tree times a week)

Thanks in advance.

1.) it’s possible…but probably not ideal. check out the 1-lift a day program

2.) how do you ONLY have 1hr? there HAS to be other times in your week (168hrs) to lift.

Can’t lift there after you get off work and give yourself more time?

Come in early and workout before work, or stay late. Enjoy your break with a big lunch and a good book.

After a 5-10 min warmup, I would do squats+pull ups supersetted for 20-30 min. I do this as a piece of a larger workout. Usually my pull ups numbers fall off as I get fatigued, so then I will do squat, pull up, squat, push up, squat, pull up, etc, alternating pull ups and push ups.

Do it EDT style and you can get a pretty good workout in, a nice combination of strength and conditioning work.

Its nice if you are busy and lunch is the only time to get a workout in, otherwise I’d try to train before or after work, like squiggles said.

Its impossible to fit a good workout in that time, and all the other crap, why dont u just workout after work? At the moment its taking me aprox 30-40 mins to finish my workout.

And if you are gonna workout during your lunch break with some half ass routine, well its not really gonna get you anywhere (or be it soon), on the other hand if all you wanna do is maintain a healthy level of fitness and health then go for it.

just my $0.02

[quote]TRAIN2Failure wrote:
Its impossible to fit a good workout in that time[/quote]
Absolutely incorrect.

http://www.jasonferruggia.com/?page_id=150

I’m kinda surprised nobody’s commending him on fitting his training in during the day, instead of just saying “Screw it, I have no time to train at all” like so many sheeple would do.

[quote]Horazio wrote:
So within one hour I should workout+shower+eat something and be back in the office.[/quote]
First of all, you’re going to have a post-workout shake (Surge) immediately, and a solid meal when you get back to work. And for the shower, you’ve got 5-10 minutes max, so scrub quick.

Bearing in mind that you haven’t mentioned an exact goal, alternate workouts each time you train:

Workout 1
Deadlift 3x5-8

Chin-up 3x5-8

Push press 3x5-8

Workout2
Squat 3x5-8

Row 3x5-8

Neutral-grip flat dumbbell press 3x5-8

This thread title is misleading.

I agree with Colucci, although tempered with the idea that I personally do not like feeling rushed when I lift, and so would probably try and find another time.

[quote]Otep wrote:

I agree with Colucci, although tempered with the idea that I personally do not like feeling rushed when I lift, and so would probably try and find another time.[/quote]

agree here . I would rather lift in the early evening than try to rush a session right after work (late afternoon).

and there could be a bazillion other guys with the idea of squeezing in a quickie at lunch time.

Like has been suggested, some form of circuit-style training will be effective. Probably rotating around three exercises until you collapse in a pile of sweat. Maybe Squat/Push-ups/Rows one day, and Deadlift/pull-ups/shoulder press another day, with 60 seconds or less of rest. And just keep going round and round.

You could do Jim Wendler’s “Ultimate Supreme Deluxe” Training Split he recommends for people who can only train once a week.

Dynamic Squat
Max Effort Bench
Max Effort Deadlift
Accessory Work

[quote]Otep wrote:
This thread title is misleading.

I agree with Colucci, although tempered with the idea that I personally do not like feeling rushed when I lift, and so would probably try and find another time.[/quote]

I’m the same; I don’t like feeling rushed.

OP, you could try this as well:

Deadlift 3-5 reps **or squat
rest 30 secs
Chin Up 3-5 reps
rest 30 secs
Dip 3-5 reps
rest 30 secs, back to DL

Repeat 5-10 more times (less repeats if you use five reps, more repeats if you use 3).

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:
I’m kinda surprised nobody’s commending him on fitting his training in during the day, instead of just saying “Screw it, I have no time to train at all”
[/quote]

I kind-of assumed, with his 460-odd posts here, that he was currently training at other times of the day and only complained about having an hour because that’s how long his lunch was? (Not because that’s all he could find in a day)

I thought you scored at the gym. That would have been cool.

I train at lunch, I usually take and hour and a half (because I work 9ish-6:30 most days and several hours on the weekends) but the gym is 15 mins drive away so if it was in my building I could get it in to an hour.

So, how to get a good workout in under 60 mins?

  1. Prepare well - make sure you have a plan going in, and have your post workout meal ready.

  2. Supersets - supersets are your friends when you’re on any sort of time restriction.

  3. Bang for your buck - you want to do as much work as possible in as few sets as possible. Build the workout around the big lifts. The rest is window dressing (in my example it’s the squat, bench, pullup, that are non-negotiable and if pressed I’d literally just do heavy squats and bench for 15 minutes and know I got a decent workout in.

  4. Don’t fuck around. Gym time is for lifting weights. No chatting, no perving, no posing. Walk in, get changed, GO!

  5. Have options. If you really want to do front squats and someone’s on the squat rack, and you can’t work in, well, do some suitcase squats, if the heavy dbs are all gone then do single leg squats with the light ones, if all the DBs are gone, do some speed bodyweight squats and some bench jumps (or cable stomps - anything is better than standing around waiting).

An example (Yesterday’s workout for me)

Front squat 4 x 6
Reverse crunch 4 x 8

Bench x8 x7 x6 x4 (I misjudged the weight)
Calf raise 4x15

Pullups x6 x 6 x 4 x 2
DB external rotation 4 x 8

Upright row 4x8
Alternating db overhead press 4x8

Stretched a bit between supersets, sucked down a bit of water while changing exercises, and I am pretty quick in the shower. Maybe that workout isn’t ideal but it seemed to hit the spot.

[quote]hit the gym wrote:
I thought you scored at the gym. That would have been cool.[/quote]

I was also lured in on this assumption.

Does that mean Im immature ?

am i the only one who was drawn in by the suggestive title of this thread only to be thoroughly disappointed by it’s content?

[quote]iamthewolf wrote:
am i the only one who was drawn in by the suggestive title of this thread only to be thoroughly disappointed by it’s content?[/quote]

Nope

[quote]Horazio wrote:
Guys
In the very same building where I work now there’s a brand new gym.
I was thinking of working out there since it’s so close,I just need to go down the stairs from my office.
Only problem is that I have one hour break,my lunch break.

So within one hour I should workout+shower+eat something and be back in the office.

Do you have some suggestions for a very quick workout for a beginner (tree times a week)

Thanks in advance.

[/quote]

Damn your misleading topic.

Yes a protein shake pwo takes approximately 5-10 seconds to inhale. Therefore you have 5 minutes to shower 5 minutes to change and 5 minutes to travel. leaving you approximately 45 minutes maximum to train ~ operating on the belief that you aren’t efficient. Let us give you 30-35 savage minutes.

No rest. Sprint from station to station and get your work done. Take a few deep breathes, and then have at it.