A Question on The Power Look Program

Hey Coach, I know you hate the same questions being posted again and again and that you are doing your best to answer all the questions, but I am new in forums, so please excuse my ignorance. I have posted this question before on another topic as a “reply”, but I am not sure if it can be seen because I couldn’t see it, so I thought posting it on a new topic would ensure that you notice it.

My question is: I have just started the power look program, and since my chest sucks - big time -, would it be okay to incorporate a separate day focusing on growth factor chest work and if so, could you tell when and how to do that ? Thank you for your time, much respect.

[quote]erenasena wrote:
Hey Coach, I know you hate the same questions being posted again and again and that you are doing your best to answer all the questions, but I am new in forums, so please excuse my ignorance. I have posted this question before on another topic as a “reply”, but I am not sure if it can be seen because I couldn’t see it, so I thought posting it on a new topic would ensure that you notice it.

My question is: I have just started the power look program, and since my chest sucks - big time -, would it be okay to incorporate a separate day focusing on growth factor chest work and if so, could you tell when and how to do that ? Thank you for your time, much respect.[/quote]

I saw your question. I just got back from an international trip to give seminars and I’m still getting back to my normal speed.

It would be fine to do … but:

1. Make sure that the bonus chest workout is done at a time where you have a lot of time between it and the next bench session.

2. In fact I would use the double stimulation technique and do the pump chest workout the DAY AFTER the bench session. So the week would become:

DAY 1. Front squat
DAY 2. Push press
DAY 3. OFF
DAY 4. Deadlift
DAY 5. Bench press
DAY 6. Chest pump
DAY 7. OFF

1. Do not use any heavy lifts on the chest pump day and try to stay away from exercises where you do not feel a chest pump. You can use any exercise you want and any training method you want as long as it gives you a solid chest pump rapidly and that you don’t feel other muscles taking over.

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:

[quote]erenasena wrote:

My question is: I have just started the power look program, and since my chest sucks - big time -, would it be okay to incorporate a separate day focusing on growth factor chest work and if so, could you tell when and how to do that ? Thank you for your time, much respect.[/quote]

I saw your question. I just got back from an international trip to give seminars and I’m still getting back to my normal speed.

1. Make sure that the bonus chest workout is done at a time where you have a lot of time between it and the next bench session.

2. In fact I would use the double stimulation technique and do the pump chest workout the DAY AFTER the bench session. So the week would become:

DAY 1. Front squat
DAY 2. Push press
DAY 3. OFF
DAY 4. Deadlift
DAY 5. Bench press
DAY 6. Chest pump
DAY 7. OFF

1. Do not use any heavy lifts on the chest pump day and try to stay away from exercises where you do not feel a chest pump. You can use any exercise you want and any training method you want as long as it gives you a solid chest pump rapidly and that you don’t feel other muscles taking over.[/quote]

Thank you for your answer. So I should do only one movement for the chest pump day right ? And I remember reading an article of yours basically explaining that every program is written with a purpose and changing it would harm it’s benefits, so my question is; is there a way to do this program as 3 day split - on, on, off, on, off, on, on instead of 4, or would it be too much of a change that could harm the program ? If not, how can I do it ?

[quote]erenasena wrote:

[quote]erenasena wrote:

DAY 1. Front squat
DAY 2. Push press
DAY 3. OFF
DAY 4. Deadlift
DAY 5. Bench press
DAY 6. Chest pump
DAY 7. OFF

1. Do not use any heavy lifts on the chest pump day and try to stay away from exercises where you do not feel a chest pump. You can use any exercise you want and any training method you want as long as it gives you a solid chest pump rapidly and that you don’t feel other muscles taking over.[/quote]

Thank you for your answer. So I should do only one movement for the chest pump day right ? And I remember reading an article of yours basically explaining that every program is written with a purpose and changing it would harm it’s benefits, so my question is; is there a way to do this program as 3 day split - on, on, off, on, off, on, on instead of 4, or would it be too much of a change that could harm the program ? If not, how can I do it ? [/quote]

You can’t do the main work over 3 day instead of 4, impossible. That would be too much heavy work for one session.

The pump workout is just that: a pump session doesn’t have to be only one exercise, just do exercises where you feel the chest firing the most and get the best pump… that will teach you to use your chest.

[quote]erenasena wrote:

[quote]erenasena wrote:

DAY 1. Front squat
DAY 2. Push press
DAY 3. OFF
DAY 4. Deadlift
DAY 5. Bench press
DAY 6. Chest pump
DAY 7. OFF

Thank you for your answer. So I should do only one movement for the chest pump day right ? And I remember reading an article of yours basically explaining that every program is written with a purpose and changing it would harm it’s benefits, so my question is; is there a way to do this program as 3 day split - on, on, off, on, off, on, on instead of 4, or would it be too much of a change that could harm the program ? If not, how can I do it ? [/quote]

You can’t do the main work over 3 day instead of 4, impossible. That would be too much heavy work for one session.

The pump workout is just that: a pump session doesn’t have to be only one exercise, just do exercises where you feel the chest firing the most and get the best pump… that will teach you to use your chest.[/quote]

as odd as it may sound, I can feel my chest working more than any other muscle group. I get a huge pump in my chest when I bench, yet it is my weakest and smallest muscle. and the reason I asked about the split, you are a proponent of high frequency work, but the power look program makes every movement performed every 6-7 days. I am really curious about the reasoning behind it. don’t get me wrong, I am not attempting to criticise, but just want to learn from you. thank you again for your time.

[quote]erenasena wrote:

[quote]erenasena wrote:

[quote]erenasena wrote:

DAY 1. Front squat
DAY 2. Push press
DAY 3. OFF
DAY 4. Deadlift
DAY 5. Bench press
DAY 6. Chest pump
DAY 7. OFF

The pump workout is just that: a pump session doesn’t have to be only one exercise, just do exercises where you feel the chest firing the most and get the best pump… that will teach you to use your chest.[/quote]

as odd as it may sound, I can feel my chest working more than any other muscle group. I get a huge pump in my chest when I bench, yet it is my weakest and smallest muscle. and the reason I asked about the split, you are a proponent of high frequency work, but the power look program makes every movement performed every 6-7 days. I am really curious about the reasoning behind it. don’t get me wrong, I am not attempting to criticise, but just want to learn from you. thank you again for your time. [/quote]

Each muscle still gets hit twice a week. All the lower body is involved in the front squat and deadlift (and their assistance exercises) and the pressing muscles are hit on both type of presses. The chest isn’t worked that much in the push press which is why it’s okay to add a day for it.

And I don’t have ONE system. I use several methods when training clients. Frequency is king in many regards but always using an approach based on high frequency (which also mean less volume/intensity per session) can’t work forever and you need period of different training approaches.

[quote]erenasena wrote:

[quote]erenasena wrote:

[quote]erenasena wrote:

DAY 1. Front squat
DAY 2. Push press
DAY 3. OFF
DAY 4. Deadlift
DAY 5. Bench press
DAY 6. Chest pump
DAY 7. OFF

as odd as it may sound, I can feel my chest working more than any other muscle group. I get a huge pump in my chest when I bench, yet it is my weakest and smallest muscle. and the reason I asked about the split, you are a proponent of high frequency work, but the power look program makes every movement performed every 6-7 days. I am really curious about the reasoning behind it. don’t get me wrong, I am not attempting to criticise, but just want to learn from you. thank you again for your time. [/quote]

Each muscle still gets hit twice a week. All the lower body is involved in the front squat and deadlift (and their assistance exercises) and the pressing muscles are hit on both type of presses. The chest isn’t worked that much in the push press which is why it’s okay to add a day for it.[/quote]

It’s all clear now. Thanks a lot for your explanations and the knowledge you share. It is truly great what you are doing here and much much appreciated.