T Nation

A Question of Balance

In upper body push and pull, my poundages seem to be on par - I can row nearly as much as I can bench, etc. My question has to do with biceps/triceps. My poundages in curls throughout my lifting life have exceeded what I can do for triceps extensions (skull crushers).

This seems backwards to me as I’ve been reading and learning more over the last year from this site. Ought my tri-ex’s to be greater than my curls? It would seem so, given that the triceps is a larger muscle complex than the biceps. And if so, by what minimum percentage?

Thanks for any advice…

Im in your boat on the bench/row, and so on. However, my skull crushers are about 15 lbs higher than my bicep curls, but i wouldent use myself as an example of this. My wrists don’t like using a bar to curl and they decide to hurt every time i do, no matter what type of bar.

My tri’s are still stronger, but i can pull within 5 lbs of what i can push in most cases.

I know that alot of people insist you should be able to row as much as you bench, but I don’t see it happening.

It seems like the body is designed to push more than it should be able to pull. Even a deadlift is a leg extension. Exactly what kind of rows are we talking about here to be on par with the press? standing? chest supported vertical or horizontal? I don’t see it happening.

I think if you can only bench as much as you row, then you have a weak chest. Not slighting the OP, I just have always wondered.

I had the same question myself.
The tricep is supposed to be a larger muscle group, but there is no way they are as strong as my biceps.
I can do barbell curl with 90 pounds a couple of times, but there is NO WAY IN HELL I could do skull crushers with 90 pounds. More like 40 or 50 lbs max.

[quote]baretta wrote:
I know that alot of people insist you should be able to row as much as you bench, but I don’t see it happening.

It seems like the body is designed to push more than it should be able to pull. Even a deadlift is a leg extension. Exactly what kind of rows are we talking about here to be on par with the press? standing? chest supported vertical or horizontal? I don’t see it happening.

I think if you can only bench as much as you row, then you have a weak chest. Not slighting the OP, I just have always wondered.[/quote]

Bent over barbell rows.

No slight occurred. I’d have to agree that it’s pretty weak - I can only do 255 on rows for reps, 275 max bench so far.

I had wondered about this very thing (push vs. pull). In considering powerlifters, I’m pretty sure they’re not worrying about putting up max numbers for their barbell rows. Focus is on the bench there and their bench press is far higher than what they row, I’d wager. Nor do they concern themselves with curls overmuch.

My original question was more focused on bicep/tricep, but I think I get the gist of it. Push outstrips pull. So I AM backwards. Gotta fix that…

Thanks Baretta